Watch all Star Trek Series but not TOS. Not Sure If I should

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by IronMaiden, Jan 24, 2015.

1. kirkfan

kirkfan Commodore

If anyone would try to rape a woman like that, he'd end up with his balls up his throat. For a klingon woman she wasn't putting up much of a fight or for any woman for that matter.

2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Once again, 1968. Women were still seen as delicate flowers much of the time. Even Klingon women.

The intent of the scene is very clear. As it was in "The Enemy Within" and "Gamesters of Triskelion".

People confuse the primary colors and theatrical acting as camp when, in fact, Star Trek was rather dark thematically much of the time. The Red Hour from "Return of the Archons" comes to mind as well.

3. Sybok Was Wrong

Sybok Was Wrong Commander Red Shirt

Well said!

Its just a different style of acting/storytelling.

Humphrey Bogart is one of the all-time greats--but would that style of acting fly today? Absolutely not!

TOS is alive with engaged actors, lively music and energetic storytelling. That doesn't make it "camp"!

So much Hollywood entertainment today is moody, angry, morose, serious- fun does not equal camp.

TOS is about as entertaining as TV gets to me!

4. Nikolaus

Nikolaus Cadet Newbie

Well entirely not sure if it is still worth it, but perhaps my perspective can help. I am in my mid 20s and watched TOS for the first time ever three years or so after I had watched all the other series.
    The beginning was a bid rough for me. TOS can feel very cheap production-wise and that can significantly hamper immersion. And I also did not like the music. However, quickly I got used to the style of it and it wasn't long until I absolutely loved it. Compared to the other series TOS has a very unique style to its story-telling. I struggle to put it into the right words, but it feels more focused and more mature and done with more dedication. I don't think I'd want all of Star Trek to be this way, but it definitely has conquered a place in my heart.
    But what always was god-aweful were the little jabs in the end when all were standing on the bridge, laughing to the tune of some silly flute-music while teasing Spock. TV can not be any more cheezy :D

For reference:
    DS9 is my favorite, VOY ranks very low, ENT is alright, TNG pretty good (though as others have said also a lot of hit-and-miss)

5. kirkfan

kirkfan Commodore

I don't know, plus Chekov never seemed that big. I bet he couldn't take her at arm-wrestling.

6. tafkats

tafkats Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd call it more theatrical. The phrase "space opera" would not be inappropriate. It also feels a lot like some of the anthology sci-fi shows of the era (The Twilight Zone, The Outer Limits) and a lot of '50s/'60s sci-fi literature as well ... almost a series of thought experiments.

The gender politics can be jarring (progressive for the '60s, embarrassingly backward now), and you have to remind yourself that much of Trek's mythology was still being written at the time -- things like the United Earth Space Probe Agency, Spock being a "Vulcanian," and so forth seem inconsistent now, but at the time, there was nothing for them to be inconsistent with. Even the setting jumps around, with one early episode ("The Squire of Gothos") placing the series in roughly the 27th or 28th century.

But after a few episodes, I found the stylistic choices easy to appreciate as neither better nor worse than TV from the 1990s to present, but just different.

7. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

All of Trek is space opera. So is Babylon 5, BSG, Andromeda and a few others.

8. kirkfan

kirkfan Commodore

Well, as long as it's not kilngon opera.:klingon::lol: