Intrepid Updates

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by USS Intrepid, Aug 21, 2011.

1. USS Intrepid

USS Intrepid Commodore Commodore

Thanks Serek, I appreciate that. :)

2. USS Intrepid

3. USS Intrepid

We're approaching about 5000 views of The Stone Unturned between You Tube, Vimeo and direct downloads. Thanks again to everyone who took the time the watch and comment.

Also, if you haven't seen it already, there is a version with commentary from Director Steve Hammond and myself on You Tube.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNguWyEJp5o[/yt]

And if you haven't already, please consider stoping by our Facebook Page and 'liking' us. It might not seem very important, but we'd be grateful for the support. :)

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Star-Trek-Intrepid/166890306664251

Thanks folks. :)

4. vulcan redshirt

vulcan redshirt Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Really enjoy your episodes. thank you for all your hard work. I have one little query about your production.. in the episode that was filmed in what looks like a disused railway tunnel, was this one of the Glenfarg tunnels, if not, could you enlighten me please on which tunnel you used.

thank you.

5. USS Intrepid

Thanks, appreciate you watching and taking the time to post. :)

Yes, that was indeed one of the Glenfarg tunnels. Good eye. Are you local?

6. USS Intrepid

A little surprise for today, a cut scene which seemed somewhat appropriate given recent events in California.

We shot this for The Conviction of Demons. When the decision was made to merge elements of that script with Natural Selection, this particular scene no longer fit into the larger story.

As presented, this was essentially a moment of normality before the crew were thrust into the events that were to unfold. It's possible we *might* still make use of this scene somewhere, especially given the amount of work that everyone put into it (Alan Johnston really suffered under that Klingon makeup) but for now it's an interesting aside.

Please note, the scene as you see it is a rough edit, minus sound work, colour correction or any sort of visual effects work.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9QlvZKOJh8&feature=youtu.be[/yt]

7. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Nice. I like that it's just an ordinary thing...which is as it should be.

8. USS Intrepid

Thanks. And yeah, that's always been my belief, though I am admittedly biased. :)

9. MikeH92467

MikeH92467 Admiral Admiral

The point was made, but I didn't feel hit over the head with it.

10. lennier1

lennier1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

David? How did Bodo react to his better half being married off to someone else?

11. USS Intrepid

That is Bodo and David, Lennier.

Mike, thanks, glad you didn't find it too preachy.

12. MikeH92467

MikeH92467 Admiral Admiral

That was ultimately the problem I had with Phase II's "Blood and Fire". I was not offended by it, nor did I have any serious complaints about the production values. To me you simply run into problems when you have a "gay story". How do you make the point without someone (figuratively speaking) jumping up and down and yelling "I'm gay!!!!".

Speaking only for myself, I long ago came to accept the idea that gays are part of the fabric of my universe and will continue to be a part of the fabric of any future universe. Calling attention to that without being preachy is going to be difficult. I admire Phase II for having the guts to try, even if I feel that some aspects were overdone. I admire Intreprid's willingness to underplay that particular scene. Sometimes it takes as much courage to be subtle as it does to be overt.

13. lennier1

I knew there was something strangely familiar about that face, but I wouldn't have recognized the kid with that makeup. Guess it really does make him look like an alien. :D But casting the characters with a couple who's as much in love as those two really does add a nice touch.

And I have to agree with Mike. That far into the future, only special circumstances should even call any attention to it, like Ro on Hidden Frontier, who came from an alien culture with different emotional baggage attached to it. Among races like Humans and Vulcans it should be as little of an issue as the groom's hairdo.

14. USS Intrepid

I've always thought it should be treated as a non-issue, which is why I'm not hugely upset that Star Trek's never really tackled it head on. I simply don't think they could have done it without making it an issue, and I'm glad we seemed to succeed in doing that here.

I think Blood and Fire's problem (and that problem may be entirely subjective) is that it tries a little too hard to show Kirk and his partner as normal, that they actually end up making them stand out from the crowd a little too much.

Your mileage may vary. :)

15. Johnny

Johnny Commander Red Shirt

I'd go completely the other way and say that there's nothing in B&F that would have been different had it been a straight couple, and that it's our perceptions of what is defined as normal that makes them stand out. :)
    J.

16. USS Intrepid

Well that's certainly not my perception, but I agree that may be some peoples'. Perhaps normal was a poor choice of words, I can see how that comment could be misconstrued.

I do think the relationship stuff is paced very slowly though, and it comes across a little forced sometimes. If a person is at all uncomfortable with same sex relationships, that's going to grate rather more for them.

17. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

BAF also suffers the cardinal sin of making that scene longer than any televised love scene on Trek, and gives us characters we just met and expects us to give a damn. That's a mistake straight, gay, or ambisexual porkchop fetishist.

18. lennier1

No need to drag Dennis into this. ;)

19. USS Intrepid

I think Maurice puts it pretty well here. I still believe it was a simple case of trying too hard to present the relationship as a non-issue (which it is). It just doesn't quite work out as intended.

20. DCR

DCR Commander Red Shirt

I agree, too.

The sheer amount of time spent focusing on the scene makes the relationship seem special and unusual. I know that when I was watching it I quickly began to want it to end, not because it was between two men, but because I wanted them to get to the story!

Cutting the scene's runtime in half would have helped everything.