RLM - Half in the Bag does STID [SPOILERS]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by MrPointy, May 25, 2013.

1. MrPointy

MrPointy Captain Captain

2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Re: RLM - Half in the Bag does STID

No thanks.

3. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Re: RLM - Half in the Bag does STID

This has already been brought up and linked to.

Forty minutes of fanboys talking to a video camera thinking that they're clever. Fuck that noise.

4. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

Waste of time.

5. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

I usually like their reviews and input, even when I disagree.

But this was just awful.

6. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, this "Half in the Bag" was just half assed. Poor showing from RLM.

7. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, it's not like they ever displayed a lack of critical thinking before.

8. Spock/Uhura Fan

Spock/Uhura Fan Captain Captain

I didn't agree with them completely, but I thought they made some good points about the plot/logic. It is what it is.

9. sj4iy

sj4iy Commander Red Shirt

Reviews should be 5 minutes or less. I honestly don't know what you can talk about for 45 minutes unless you are recapping or reciting almost the entire movie.

10. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I didn't know Red Letter Media had expanded beyond their original format, except for commentaries, which I never bothered with. Judging from the five minutes of this I sat through, they should probably stick to what they're good at.

11. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

Watching someone criticise every aspect of a movie destroys my enjoyment of the movie.
    The movie and I are in the honeymoon stage now.
    I'll watch the 'review' when I'm in the 'married for 10 years' stage.

12. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

:lol: Yeah. They're harshing my buzz, man.

13. TheCutestofBorg

TheCutestofBorg Lieutenant Junior Grade

6 months from now most of you guys will be agreeing with almost everything these guys are saying. This movie is well directed and excellent visually... but the script and story logic is about as well written as if you took a room full of 3rd graders and asked them what they wanted to see in a star trek movie.
    It IS Star Trek: Fast and Furious. The plot made no sense and has as much substance as the Transformer movies. Which is none.
    I do like the movie. And I am resigned to the fact that this is the type of Star Trek we will be getting from now on. But man, I am tired of seeing people defend this movie as if its a great movie and a real thriller brain teaser of a movie. Take Mission Impossible and Fast and Furious and mash them together and add some Star Trek and you have Star Trek Into Darkness

14. CaptainMurdock

CaptainMurdock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This episode of Half in the Bag was lame. Though I am looking forward to the Plinkett review of Into Darkness.

15. YARN

YARN Fleet Captain

Entertaining review with common sense criticisms.

16. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

Nope I don't think I will.
    I don't think anyone here has said the movie is a brain teaser or a thriller. Maybe I missed those posts.

The only Star Trek movie that has come close to that is STVI.

You know decades ago I saw the first episode of TNG and was appalled to see that that was the type of Star Trek that I was getting now

17. The Doctor

The Doctor Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Exactly. I can't imagine being so angry about a movie that it takes 45 minutes to get it all out. :lol:

Also, my tolerance for random Internet video rants is extremely low, no matter the genre. Just because the barrier to entry is low doesn't mean that you're at all interesting or insightful.

18. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

Oh boy. They are not angry in any way. Nor are they "fanboys" (Mike and Rich are Trek fans, sure, but they're certainly not fanatic about it). Maybe you should at least try to watch the damn review. It's funny and insightful. It's 40 minutes long, because they had fun talking about it for that length. It's just like seeing the movie with a bunch of friends and talking about it afterwards over a few drinks. I sure discussed the movie a whole lot longer than 40 minutes with my buddies.

So please, get over it. It's just a bunch of guys talking about a movie. They didn't hate it and they didn't love it. And if you're interested, they tell you why. If you're not, fine. But man, why hate on them like that? Some act like they charge you money for watching their damn videos.

19. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm already at the cheating stage.

20. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination
    I usually like RLM, but this one was like a cliche of every bs criticism of AbramsTrek:

as for the "dumb script/story" stuff, I liked how the one guy pointed out that Khan in TWOK WASN'T all that smart(kept falling for obvious tricks). And I think the criticism of the "science" in STID is pretty funny considering TWOK'S "genesis device." And holding up THE MOTION PICTURE of all movies as an example to follow?:lol:

It just played as a cliche of fake nostalgia for an era that never existed, when Trek movies were supposedly all about cerebral things and hard science.