DW Series 7 Returns!!...with "The Bells of St John"

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by 3chordboy, Mar 1, 2013.

1. Captain_Amasov

Captain_Amasov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This is incredibly nit-picky of me, but I'd have liked them to have fixed the time rotor, the actual central column I mean not the rotating bit at the top, since the middle section only moved in the final shot of the episode. Just bugged me a little.

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

has the time rotor ever actually been a rotor? A mechanical device necessary for the propulsion of the time vehicle? there's an engine room way off near the middle as well as a window to the eye of Harmony which doesn't work anymore...

I'm thinking that the rotor isn't pumping time energy to make the ship move through the vortex more so than that it's just cosmetic.

3. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

According to The Edge of Destruction, "You see, when the column rises, it proves the extent of the power thrust."

4. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

At least one console room doesn't even HAVE one, that being the somehow-fan-favorite wooden room from the Tom Baker years. It might be cosmetic in the same way as the blinking, flashing or shimmering lights on the matter-antimatter reaction chamber in Engineering on any given Starfleet ship tends to be a visual indicator of how much work the ship is putting into going places.

In this new edition, only the middle section of the transparent column moves when the TARDIS first gets going (it does this in The Snowmen as well) but otherwise it's up to the spinning rings above to tell us that we're in flight. That and the variably-convincing shaking around the actors do. :)

Mark

5. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

^ The time-rotor in the Victorian control room could have been hidden to preserve the decor.

6. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Is it a pump or a gage?

Maybe the shaving mirror was doing something subtle we didn't notice to reflect "time-rotation" like possibly increasing or decreasing of magnification on the mirror because the focal point is moving?