This Borg vs Dominion Thingy

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Photon, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Photon

Photon Commodore Commodore

Has anyone ever asked: Who would win in a hand to hand fight between a Drone and Jem Warrior (say a 1st or 2nd)

I could watch the Jems beat the stuffings out of a Drone all night

2. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No, I don't think anyone has ever done a versus thread before, especially concerning the Borg or Jem'Hadar.

3. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination
    in physical combat I think the Jem'Hadar win it easily. They're genetically bred for it, while the Borg's technical additions give them a lot of vulnerabilities on their body. Also, the Borg collective doesn't value individual drones, so there's no reason to make them great fighters.

On a larger level though, the Borg win for their superior technology and ability to adapt.

4. 47

47 Vice Admiral Admiral

Maybe, but I bet it would be the Mother of all Battles!

5. Marie1

Marie1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Borg often seem so unwieldy... the Jem'hadar would win easily.

6. Photon

Photon Commodore Commodore

I agree. Still, I'd like to see it. I hate the (overused) Borg

7. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

One drone vs one Jem'Hadar? There's not even a question. The Borg don't really seem to bother protecting themselves against weapons that aren't energy based.

8. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

I'm sort of surprised the Borg don't use phaser implants.

9. ichab

ichab Commodore Commodore

Borg all the way. It wouldn't even come down to hand to hand because as soon as the Borg ships adapt to the dominion technology it would be all over.

10. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Dominion vs TNG Borg, Borg.

Dominion vs Voyager Borg, that's a closer fight.

I think the Borg would eventually win, but it'd take a very long time, and the founders would get away. But they'd probably send only one cube at a time, and they'd probably be able to handle the first cube.

I can imagine, in the long run, the founders just kinda sacrificing all their subjects and most of their Gem'Hadar and just escaping to another galaxy.

11. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Depends on the type of Borg.

If it's the normal Collective Drone, then maybe the Jem'Hadar could win.

If it was against one of the "Descent" Borg who have good reflexes and actually use their disruptor weapons? I'd bet on the Borg.

12. Nerys Ghemor

Nerys Ghemor Vice Admiral Admiral

We did see that in "Descent," with the individual Borg.

13. Xhiandra

Xhiandra Captain Captain

At the start of the fight, there's one Borg and one Jem'Hadar.
    At the end of the fight, there are 2 Borg.

14. Marie1

Marie1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not if they shrouded and were beamed over...

15. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Can the Dominion beam through shields?

16. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They did it all the time on DS9 with their super long range transporter things.

17. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Beam? Heck, they can walk through them. :)

18. Lighthammer

Lighthammer Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Hmm --- I had always assumed the Borg encountered Dominion ships here and there probably assimilated them, but never gave much thought to the actual battles.

Here's some random musings on the topic:

The big reason the Federation had problems with the Dominion wasn't so much because they were technologically superior, its because they had technology that worked differently and it's differences weren't something the Federation had had to deal with up until that point.

In the Alpha and Beta Quadrant most species ended up bartering their technology to some degree so most technology evolved along similar paths. The Dominion's technology was generally able to over load the Federation and other Alpha/Beta quadrant species because of the incompatibilities. Once the Federation learned how to adapt, it was certainly a much more level playing field.

That being said, one would have to believe the Borg would be able to adapt much more easily (since that's what they do!). I'd honestly anticipate that if the Borg sent 1 cube at a time at the Dominion, they'd be able to repel it like the Federation is able to. Likewise, if they sent four or five at them at the same time, it might get more then a little hard to handle.

On the personal combat end of things --- I think that becomes a far more interesting question. We've heard references to "Tactical Drones" and "X species make really good Tactical drones", but I think it can be argued we've never actually seen tactical drones and what they're capable of. Do they exclusively use energy based weapons or has the Borg invested in making physically strong drones capable of hand to hand combat? I think its really hard to rule out that they don't have something like this. I mean every "hive" has its "warrior class" or "defender class". Overall, I'd be inclined to believe we don't really have enough information in canon-esque areas to know one way or the other how the Gem'hedar would equit themselves in a true physical brawl with the borg.

19. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

I think Tactical Drones would be similar to the Renegade Borg from "Descent" who had weapons and were very fast and strong. They didn't have adaptive shields though.

20. Lighthammer

Lighthammer Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'd say the concept of Borg evolved a ton since anything in TNG (minus First Contact).

I don't really envision anything like Predator, but I'd expect if someone with some Trek authority would design a "tactical drone" today (or even during the Voyager era) --- it would have been something more fitting of of a "borg warrior class".