The Action Figure and Toy Collecting and Discussion Thread!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by cooleddie74, Apr 7, 2012.

1. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Thor was a good choice. Thor or Iron Man. Some Tony Stark sarcasm and hijinks would also have been fun to watch unfold, but I guess since you already introduced Loki into the storyline this makes more sense.

2. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

Well, one things that's been essential with character selection for me is that it be conceivable that they have some reason to be on another planet. Iron Man may have joined the Guardians of the Galaxy in the comics, but in the MCU he's still pretty earth bound. Plus, I just don't have enough confidence in my writing skill to do Downey Stark justice.

3. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

Thanks - I actually stumbled on that last night and realized I could have just googled it. :lol: I'm definitely interested in the figure, although I think the earlier Generations mold has plenty of strong points by itself. I think it does a nice job blending elements of both the original toy and the animation model, whereas this one seems to lean closer to the original Macross design (not a bad thing by itself). Someone made the comment that they didn't like having a fake canopy on the chest, but by itself that's not a huge turnoff to me.

4. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Another awesome installment @OdoWan

Diamond Select finally revealed their Enterprise-A!! I've been waiting for this for awhile now, I'll try and post a decent pic if I find one.

5. cooleddie74

The refitted NCC-1701 from the first three movies, I take it?

6. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

I dunno – that part about a settlement sounds like an assumption being made by those authors. (A possibly accurate assumption, but still.) As TFWiki put it:

Maybe a settlement is the only way to get a case dismissed with prejudice (for all I know. Which is not much), but it still sounds like guesswork.

I prefer to think the court dismissed it because Harmony Gold is full of crap. :p

I'm torn myself – I like the look for the figure, but the fact that it's got virtually all the plane parts in the backpack, no electronics, and that the new Leader-class toys are reportedly the same size as the much-smaller Ultra figures from five years ago while still at a Leader-class pricepoint ($45) gives me pause. I'd pay $30 for it in a heartbeat, but not close to $50.

7. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

@cooleddie...I'm not sure as the pic I saw it looked like a prototype model with unfinished paint job, but it could be.

8. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

It's not really an assumption at all. It's just that the two sides did reach an agreement of some kind, and that's really all a settlement is.
    There truly would have to be a OOC settlement by the two parties to have the case dismissed before it really went anywhere. As I actually said earlier, the terms of settlement are private, and it's likely a part of the agreement between the two parties to keep it that way.
    It's not guesswork at all. Stuff like this isn't all that uncommon for two sides in a legal dispute (be it corporate, small claims, or divorce) to work things out privately between them and then have the case dismissed before it could potentially get ugly.
    It wasn't the court that dismissed it, but rather both Harmony and Hasbro filing a motion together to have it dismissed.
    http://www.tomopop.com/photo-m.phtml?photo_key=186345&post_key=32374#prevnext

We'll never really know why they agreed to have it dismissed, but one could make a safe assumption that both decided it wouldn't be in either of their best interests to continue with it or that it wasn't necessary anymore after they came to terms.

9. OdoWanKenobi

NECA has announced that they have done what was once thought impossible: acquiring the rights to Sigourney Weaver's likeness. Yes! They'll be releasing an Alien and Aliens version that we'll see at SDCC. I'm glad the power loader they showed at Toyfair won't have to remain empty! :D

Also, Funko announced that the Rocketeer will be part of the Legacy line! :eek:

Holy crap, I'm in nerd heaven.

10. cooleddie74

I'd love to see Funko do an entire line of characters from the View Askewniverse, not just Jay and Silent Bob. Imagine it: Dante, Randal, Becky, Veronica, Caitlin, Willam Black (both Scott Mosier and Ethan Suplee), Brodie, Elias, Holden McNeil, Banky, Azrael, Rufus....the list goes on and on and on thanks to Kevin Smith's fertile and warped mind.

I doubt they'd ever do more than the "Greatest Hits" and most recognizable characters, but it'd still be pretty sweet to see a Michael Rooker Funko holding a bag of chocolate covered pretzels. :)

11. Chris3123

Chris3123 Vice Admiral Admiral

No, you got it right in your first post. It's definitely the A.

ETA: Click on the image to go to the Diamond Select gallery, which also features the Excelsior.

[​IMG]

12. cooleddie74

That Enterprise looks stunning. I might have to pick up a couple of these ships sooner or later. There's a classic TOS Enterprise, I take it? If so and she doesn't cost a fortune she'd be my first purchase.

13. Chris3123

Chris3123 Vice Admiral Admiral

There's 7! :p In addition to the original release, there has also been variants based on "The Cage", "Where No Man Has Gone Before", "Mirror, Mirror", and the HD remastering, as well as a more expensive cutaway version and a 300 piece limited edition gold version. Art Asylum/Diamond Select just loves to make variants. It's a way to relatively cheaply put out a "new" product. Every other Enterprise except for the C from "Yesterday's Enterprise" has been released, and every one of those except for the A have had more than one version released.

See here for the complete list of ships in their Starship Legends line

I myself have the TWOK Enterprise and the D.

I did a quick search and found the HD version at Think Geek for only $45. Here's a review of that particular version.

14. cooleddie74

15. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

And meanwhile all we got from Hasbro's Star Trek line was a couple of Kre-O sets...fantastic.
    :sigh:

16. cooleddie74

I know. It's pitiful. I know Hasbro's been in some dire creative and business straits lately but you'd think they'd enjoy the idea of marketing some first-class action figures and accessories and taking advantage of the Trek fanbase and another smash movie being in theaters.

They've really dropped the ball by ignoring the Trek license. That company makes some fantastic, beloved product when it sets its mind to it.

17. OdoWanKenobi

At least Diamond Select is putting out some pretty decent figures right now. Though they seem to be more focused on well sculpted almost statues than they are articulated figures like in the Art Asylum days.

Which reminds me, nobody noticed that I switched Spocks in the last comic update? I was kinda worried it would stand out too much, but the Art Asylum one just cannot crouch, while the Diamond one has included crouching legs.

18. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Hasbro has been trying to restructure itself into a multimedia company and slowly abandon toy production. It's the reason why they poured so much of their gold into a channel barely anyone watches. Apparently they prefer Hollywood's gold over our money.

19. cooleddie74

Disney and Lucasfilm have ordered Hasbro to not produce any more Expanded Universe action figures for the time being. When it's finally decided what does and doesn't continue to qualify as EU canon there'll likely be a return to making non-movie and TV show action figures and other merchandise, but as of right now those among us who wanted to see, say, the 2010 Jaina and Jacen Solo figures rereleased or even remade are just going to have to shell out the dough to get them on the secondary market. Even if Jaina and Jacen appear in the Sequel Trilogy they'll get new figures based on the actors who play them, so the ones based on the books and graphic novels are now passé.

Hopefully the video games won't get decanonized and jettisoned because I'd like to see more characters based on TFU and TOR at some point, but we shouldn't get our hopes up. I guess it was a nice run while it lasted. That's showbiz.

20. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

The question of whether the Solo kids will be decanonized is still open. I think the odds are good they will be retconned.