Daredevil back to Marvel Studios?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Trekker4747, Oct 9, 2012.

1. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

It does; one nice thing about SF is that it's got a pretty sizable downtown, with some pretty high skyscrapers (much higher, say, than the pint-sized ones of Boston, or the non-existent ones of DC), but also has lots of other, very varied neighborhoods. Also, you've got the legitimately still-gritty and grungy Oakland just across the Bay. Fincher got some great mileage out of our Financial District in The Game, for instance.

Sure, Chicago could probably also work, but while it's got some great downtown areas, as seen in Transformers DOTM/TDK, I haven't really gotten the sense that its non-downtown neighborhoods are all that special or distinctive.

2. FreezeC77

FreezeC77 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If the ABC SHIELD series is a hit then I think the best way that the other studios who own Marvel rights could then 'link up' would be to use the series as 'promotion' for their movies. Somet type of storyline or appearance from main/minor/villain characters in the show right around the time the movie is coming out.

3. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

Simple.. either completely ignore the abomination that was Last Stand or just go past it and take the very few things with you that were ok (Hank McCoy for example).

Please god no! The last thing i want is for any show to become a marketing vehicle for any product.. i hate that with a passion.

I don't have a problem with commercial products appearing onscreen but they way it's done is to shove our nose in it.. these extended 2-3 seconds where the camera lingers on the product and its logo makes me want to hurl ( i nearly walked out of a Brosnan Bond once because it became so unbearable on the nose).

4. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Dare to dream?

5. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

SONY will never give up the Spider-man film rights. It's a billion dollar franchise for them.

6. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Interesting -- and perhaps troubling. I enjoyed The Amazing Spider-Man. If this did happen and the rights changed hands, I hope that whoever picked them up would continue the existing series with its current cast, rather than doing yet another reboot.

Although that raises the question: hypothetically, of course, would there be any difficulties with incorporating the ASM universe into the Marvel Cinematic Universe? Perhaps the main continuity issue would be the Manhattan skyline, since there was no Stark Tower in ASM and no Oscorp Tower in The Avengers.

7. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Damn, I was hoping that we would not get Spider-man or Wolverine shoved into an Avengers film for at least another 20 years. I had already had enough of Wolverine taking over the X-men movies after X2.

The characters film rights being owned by seperate companies was the only thing stopping that from happening.

8. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Apparently Disney/Marvel and Sony had actually agreed to show the OsCorp Tower in The Avengers, but the idea fell through because the Manhattan skyline in The Avengers had already been rendered before the OsCorp design was completed for TASM.

Too bad, that would have been a neat little easter egg.

9. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

I think that there is very little danger of Spider-Man "taking over" an Avengers film. There are too many leads already and too many unexplored "classic" Avengers. And can you imagine asking Downey Jr., Hemsworth, Evans ect to take a supporting role to Andrew Garfield? Not gonna happen.

Rather instead, it could be the new "tent-pole" for street-level Marvel movies, instead of Daredevil as I suggested upthread.

Having said that, I absolutely would want the "Avengers" and "Street" franchises to co-exist in the same cinematic universe. Simply using SHIELD could accomplish that.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2012
  10. Ian Keldon

Ian Keldon Fleet Captain

There's a third option: give the franchise back to Rami and let him make IV.

11. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

I tend to agree about the X-Men. I think the universe is so deep and has its own morals and themes that any other characters would just be a distraction.

Avengers and Spiderman don't need to be as separate, but there's certainly a difference of portrayal. The Avengers are much more public than Spiderman, especially with Tony Stark being openly identified as Iron Man. Spiderman is a more personal story of Peter Parker, which I think will help keep him separate. That being said, Spiderman's involvement with SHIELD was a cool part of the 90s cartoon.

Based on that cartoon, I tend to agree that the ideal world would put Spiderman, Daredevil, and Punisher in one universe, the X-Men in another, and the Avengers in a third.

12. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't know how viable it would be, but I think a Hawkeye vs. The Punisher movie could be pretty damn awesome, especially if Tom Jane reprised his role as Frank Castle. Frank kills someone big that catches the attention of S.H.I.E.L.D., and Nick Fury assigns Clint to bring him in.

13. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Ummmmm. No.

14. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

My thoughts exactly.

15. Christopher

But the rumors aren't about the film studio giving up a single franchise. They're about the Sony Corporation, a multinational conglomerate dealing primarily in electronics, film & television, music, and financial services, possibly having to sell off the entire film studio (along with its TV and music assets) in order to remain financially solvent. So whatever rights Sony Pictures owns would presumably stay with the studio, but the studio itself could come under new ownership. Indeed, those rights are part of what makes the studio a valuable asset to potential buyers.

And it's not like this hasn't happened before. Heck, Columbia Pictures has only been owned by Sony since 1989. It's not uncommon for studios to be acquired by new conglomerates.

16. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

They're still just rumours at this stage.

Of course, we all know businessmen never lie!

17. Christopher

^Of course, one should always be skeptical of rumors. I'm just trying to clarify what the rumor is about. It's valid to say that the studio wouldn't want to give up the Spidey rights, but that's not the issue here; it's the studio itself that's rumored to be up for sale by the conglomerate that currently owns it.

18. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

"Right! This calls for immediate discussion!"

[LEFT]:p
    [/LEFT]

19. Ian Keldon

Ian Keldon Fleet Captain

Why not? He made 3 very good and profitable Spider-Man films. Even 3 (the least well regarded) still grossed more than $70 million more than the reboot. (US only)

20. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

I thought his Spider-Man films added up to being just average. I don't have any desire to see Raimi do another one!