Rate the Disney Pixar movies (spoilers for Monsters Inc 2)

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Candlelight, Jul 20, 2013.

1. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

Toy Story (1995) - 6/10

A good start to Pixar's feature film career but Woody is just so flippin annoying...

A Bug's Life (1998) - 2/10

I hated this one. The whole story is built on miscommunication, chinese whispers and mistakes.

Toy Story 2 (1999) - 7/10

I enjoyed this one. New characters are introduced which don't overshadow the existing toys, Woody's backstory is actually interesting and Jessie's story is sooo sad.

Monsters Inc (2001) - 10/10

The best of the series. Sully and Mike are a great double act, Waternoose and Randall are great villains and the climax has the most inventive chase sequence of all time.

Finding Nemo (2003) - 8/10

Another great one. Ellen steals the show as Dory and the story is full of adventure and comedy.

The Incredibles (2004) - 6/10

Entertaining but felt like it was holding back. Samuel L Jackson is a great super hero, and I would loved to have seen him as the lead character instead of the comic relief.

Cars (2006) - 9/10

I only saw this movie for the first time a couple of years ago but thought it was great. The characters are all given their moments to shine, the story - while not original - is wonderfully told and of all the Pixar movies it has a very feel good feel to it. The drive in movie sequence in the credits both hilarious and a great homage to John Ratzenburger's voice work.

Ratatouille (2007) - 1/10

I really don't know why this gets praised so highly. We're following a band of mice in France who are all American for some reason, helping out a cook - also Amercan - who is just annoying from start to finish.

WALL-E (2008) - 6/10

Good but not great. However each time I watch this I enjoy it a little more.

Up (2009) - 4/10

The first six minutes of this movie I give 9/10 as it is a beautiful love story, but the rest is rather dull and uninteresting.

Toy Story 3 (2010) - 5/10

The trilogy concludes nicely but I've always found Toy Story always seemed a bit too violent for children. The scene in the trash incinerator is disturbing to say the least. Probably the grumpiest villain the show has produced.

Cars 2 (2011) - 4/10

I can't believe how this got ballsed up so badly. The first movie was beautifully crafted but this sequel is just wrong on so many levels, the most obvious point of switching the main characters from Lightning to Mater. The family friendly tone of the first movie is now gone with gun battles and no less than two characters being literally killed off.

Brave (2012) - NOT SEEN IT

It's on TV tomorrow so I'll come back in 24 hours. :)

Monsters University (2013) - 5/10

Saw it today, hence my creating this thread. The choice of a prequel was ok but then again I'm not really a fan of prequels and would prefer the story to have moved forward rather than backward. Having Sully and Mike trapped in the real world while a power outage prevents them from getting home would've been a nice mirror to the original, but we got what we got. The tight confined story of the original is played rather lose here, and seeing Sully other than the powerful scarer was a bit disappointing. I'd never really bought the idea of Mike trying to be a scarer, so it's a bit of an uphill battle, and the ultimate fault of the prequel is we know he fails! My daughter was hanging out to see the mirrorball scene from the trailer but was sadly left on the cutting room floor.

2. Taylirious

Taylirious Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Brave & The Incredibles are awesome! :D Everything else is okay. :)

3. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

1. Incredibles
    2. Nemo
    3. Monsters Inc
    4. Wall-E
    5. UP
    6. Bug's Life
    7. Brave
    8. Monsters U
    9. Toy Story 3
    10. Rataouille
    11. Toy Story 2
    12. Toy Story: I never understood the love for Toy Story but I saw them years later
    13. Cars: Cars just doesn't feel like a Pixar movie it feels like a mundane kid's movie made to sell toys
    14. Cars 2

4. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

I recently did this over on my Letterboxd account.

1. Up
    2. WALL-E
    3. Toy Story 3
    4. The Incredibles
    5. Monsters, Inc.
    6. Finding Nemo
    7. Ratatouille
    8. Toy Story 2
    9. Toy Story
    10. Brave
    11. Cars
    12. Monsters University
    13. Cars 2
    14. A Bug's Life
    A friend suggested that I should give A Bug's Life another look, saying that it seemed to be far too low on the list. It seemed like a reasonable suggestion, considering I haven't seen that one since way back when it was first released, though I haven't had time to actually do so yet.

5. TrekAlliance92

TrekAlliance92 Captain Captain

Toy Story - 10/10 - Simply a classic. Many great moments throughout.

A Bug's Life - 7/10 - Pretty good, with the circus characters being the highlight.

Toy Story 2 - 10/10 - A truly great sequel.

Monster's Inc - 8/10 - An enjoyably good-natured movie.

Finding Nemo - 9/10 - Mine. Mine. Mine.

The Incredibles - 10/10 - Pixar's finest. Great action, humor, animation, etc. Really wanting a sequel!

Cars - 9/10 - Very solid.

Ratatouille - 9/10 - Still quite enjoyable.

WALL-E - 5/10 - Easily Pixar's weakest. Over-the-top anti-coporate and anti-humanist. Has some good individual moments though.

Toy Story 3 - 9/10 - Very good, but not as nearly-flawless as the first two. Would have preferred a more open ending.

Brave - 8/10 - Drags a bit at times, but a good movie over all.

I haven't seen Cars 2 or Monsters U yet.

6. Amaris

Amaris Guest

I'll use Candlelight's rating and listing system, since it seems the easiest.
    -------

Toy Story - 9/10
    Groundbreaking in every way, and a wonderful story to boot.

A Bug's Life - 7/10
    A delightful romp with fun little characters. My favorite part is still the whole circus scene.

Toy Story 2 - 9/10
    The sequel to the first Toy Story is just as captivating, just as sweet and nostalgic. Jessie's story is heartbreaking. Kelsey Grammer's turn as the Prospector is nothing short of awesome.

Monsters Inc. - 10/10
    This may be my favorite Pixar movie. John Goodman and Billy Crystal sell this film like no one else. Mike and Sully make the best comedy duo since Laurel and Hardy, and the quality in this film exceeded all of my expectations.

Finding Nemo - 10/10
    From Thomas Newman's gorgeous score, to the sumptuous and colorful visuals, this movie is delicious cake, and the wonderful story is the icing. Ellen as Dory is an example of perfect casting.

The Incredibles - 6/10
    A fun movie, but not my favorite. Still, the story is great, the visuals are solid as ever, and there are some fun moments for me.

Cars - 9/10
    I love this movie. I say this because when I saw the promos, I wondered how I could like a movie about talking cars, and the idea just didn't appeal to me. Once I saw it, however, I was hooked, and I loved it from beginning to end. Also, George Carlin as an organic fuel VW bus? Priceless.

Ratatouille - 8/10
    I thoroughly enjoyed Ratatouille. The backdrop of Paris, and a mouse that can savor and season food like no other? Wonderful. A harsh critic drawn back to his childhood by a simple dish? Superb. I have nothing bad to say about this movie except it flew by so fast for me.

Wall-E - 10/10
    Two sentient robots fall in love, and it works for me on such a level that the ending made me cry. The musical score, again, so flawless, and the visuals, particularly the approach of the Axiom, just left me floored. Wonderful film.

UP - 9/10
    The first 6 minutes of this movie beat the hell out of almost any other romance in modern television, and they do it without a single word. That alone gives this movie half it's score. The rest is due to the fun, colorful characters, the exotic locations, and the sentimentality the movie exudes throughout.

Toy Story 3 - 10/10
    I cried. Seriously. At the end? I cried. What a terrific finale to a wonderful, groundbreaking series of movies that kept reaching inside my heart, and playing with that inner child. The sentiments denoting the passage of time were bittersweet as well, and just rounded out this amazing film.

Cars 2 - 3/10
    Oh, why? Why does it hurt so much? I went into this film wanting to love it. I loved the first Cars, and wanted to love this one, but the horrible plot, the cliche characterizations, the odd increase of implicit violence, just made this one a dud for me. It made me rethink the idea that Pixar's worst was better than most people's best.

Brave - 8/10
    The visuals in this film are terrific. As always, when it comes to such things, Pixar excels. The story is fun, if knowable, and the characters relatable, and in some cases whimsical. A fun movie, and it made me feel more confident that the previous movie has just been a misstep.

Monsters University - ?/10
    I have yet to see this movie, but I am looking forward to it.

7. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wall-E - 10/10 Easily my favorite Pixar movie of all time. It is a character piece unlike anything they've ever achieved before or since, & a film achievement that, the closer you look, the more utterly stunned you are, & it's hilarious to boot

Up - 10/10 Perhaps the story with the most humanity of any they've ever created. It's still not my favorite, but it really is on par with their best work

The Incredibles - 10/10 The pacing though wonderful, is such that some of the character of the story is glossed over a smidge, but, this is really nit picking, & still not worth deducting anything

Toy Story 3, Toy Story 2, Toy Story - 9/10 This series achieves an unimaginable feat in making each film in the series more impressive & more touching than the last

Monsters Inc. - 8/10 The movie is beautiful of course, & the characters are a great deal of fun. Ultimately, it is an extremely good film & worth every penny. The story just has less to dig your teeth into than the others above, except maybe the original Toy Story which has the groundbreaking factor going for it

Finding Nemo - 8/10 It really is a wonderful & enjoyable movie. Somehow the characters & story have a slightly lesser level of lasting power in the viewer's mind & heart than the above films, although they almost reach it. It's really nit picking to say they are lesser

Ratatouille - 7/10 A charming film with some interesting risks being taken by the producers. I just never warmed to the characters in the same way as their better films, & the story as well

Cars - 7/10 I could tell going in that this was a slapshot aimed at making them big money in merchandising, & so it did. As a result, I knew there'd be a lot about it that was less engaging than their other work. All in all, it isn't really that bad however. The performances from the actors breath a lot of life into the simple story & script, & the production value is up to par

A Bug's Life - 6/10. This film needed some of that actor's performances kicking it in the pants the way Cars had, but didn't really get it. However, the story managed to keep you around throughout. I cut them some slack. They were still at the very beginning

Cars 2 - 5/5 Meh, a disappointing trip to the money well. I can't say it's awful. I sat through it, & it still dazzles in that Pixar way, but it's certainly a cheaper product

Brave - Haven't seen it, but it's on the queue. For some reason it didn't excite me enough to rush out & see it. I could tell from trailers it wasn't as special as some of their best

Monsters University - Haven't seen it either, but probably will. I'll watch anything these folks make, but I admit to being skeptical, after Cars 2, not too long ago. It really looks like another obligatory trip to the money well

Such being the case, one wonders why they haven't gotten themselves in line to do an Incredibles 2. That would easily strike up more hullabaloo

8. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Toy Story (1995) - 9/10
    Great Start.

A Bug's Life (1998) - 7/10
    It's underrated.

Toy Story 2 (1999) - 7/10
    Weak link in the series.

Monsters Inc (2001) - 9/10 or 10/10
    So much fun but the child annoys me. Last VHS I ever got, and still have it.

Finding Nemo (2003) - 9/10 or 10/10
    Beautiful movie, great story. We don't need a sequel, but whatever.

The Incredibles (2004) - 5/10 or 6/10
    Not a superhero fan, and not a fan of the animation.

Cars (2006) - 4/10 to 6/10
    Great basic idea, but one major movie flaw, it's boring!

Ratatouille (2007) - 7/10
    Fun, silly movie.

WALL-E (2008) - 9/10
    10/10 when there are no humans around.

Up (2009) - I can't grade this one. If they had this be a short film it would be perfect, but it felt like they didn't have enough to make one full movie.

Toy Story 3 (2010) - 10/10
    Masterpiece. Best animated movie ever.

Cars 2 (2011) - 6.5-7/10
    Love James Bond and it's fun and a little stupid but funny.

Haven't seen the new ones.

9. Captain Kathryn

Captain Kathryn Commodore Commodore

WALL-E, Up, and Finding Nemo are the best in my eyes!
    I can't watch WALL-E without crying... D:

Toy Story (all of them, but especially the original) is of course a classic.

10. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

Brave (2012) - 6/10

I'll need to see it again as it didn't hold the attention of my kids but I thought the animation and the music score were beautiful. They were trying to recreate the father-son relationship from Nemo, here with mother-daughter, but if doesn't see to work very well, considering the 'problem' with the mother. Predictable ending (of course it's not the bloody tapestry!) but the movie was enjoyable.

11. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've seen all of them except for Brave, but I will see Brave one day:

From Favorite to Least Favorite

Toy Story 3
    The Incredibles
    Toy Story 2
    Monsters Inc.
    Toy Story
    Finding Nemo
    Up
    Ratatouille
    Cars
    WALL-E
    Monsters University
    A Bugs Life
    Cars 2

12. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

Toy Story - 9/10
    Clean, economical, innovative, and vibrant.

A Bug's Life - 6/10
    It's fun and entertaining, but it's not nearly as strong as most of the Pixar films.

Toy Story 2 - 8/10
    Almost as good as the original.

Monsters Inc. - 8/10
    A whole lot of furry fun. Love the dynamic between Mike and Sully.

Finding Nemo - 10/10
    It's hard to find a film better made than this one. Pitch perfect on just about everything that matters.

The Incredibles - 7/10
    Nice action and love the involvement of the whole family. Plus, it has the best lesson that any Pixar film offers: No capes!

Cars - N/A
    No interest in seeing this film. :p

Ratatouille - 6/10
    Good. Fun. Disposable.

Wall-E - 9/10
    It's tough to not give this one full marks (the "space dance" was just gorgeous), but I felt some of the sequences on board the ship dragged out too long.

UP - 8/10
    The opening sequence was a 10/10, the rest was 6/10. Obviously I'm giving more weight to the opening than everything else.

Toy Story 3 - 9/10
    Flawed, but I loved the way they ended the film. Beautiful

Cars 2 - N/A
    Still no interest. ;)

Brave - 7/10
    Perhaps the most visually stunning (other than Nemo?) of the lot. Loved the independence of the main character. But the story could have used a few revisions.

Monsters University - 7/10
    Not as good as the original, a bit predictable, but plenty of fun.