Monday Mornings - Anybody Watching?

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Ar-Pharazon, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Monday Mornings has been on after Dallas for five weeks now.

I didn't even watch the first couple weeks, normally I don't go for procedural type shows. I love Bones, but more because of the cast chemistry.

But this show has really got me hooked. A great cast including Ving Rhames, Jamie Bamber & Alfred Molina.

David E. Kelley is co-creator/executive producer along with Sanjay Gupta, who's novel of the same name is the inspiration for the show. Kelley's got a few good things on his resume ;) so no surprise this is as good as it is.

Now I just gotta see the first couple episodes in reruns when I can. The show has the great chemistry I like so much in Bones.

2. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

I've been watching it. The plots themselves aren't all that interesting but the characters sure are. Alfred Molina is BRILLIANT in his role (as he usually is) and Ving Rhames' character is extremely likable. The others? Meh. I like the doctor who can't speak English very well, simply because he's so abrupt, it makes you wonder if he would still talk the same way even if his English was better.

3. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

At home with his (Asian)wife he still spoke the same, although it is possible that she isn't bilingual?

The show is really football in the groin but I like it.

4. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

I watched the first 3 episodes. Too bleak for me.

5. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Alfred Molina and Jamie Bamber must have flipped a coin to see who got to keep their English Accent.

6. Pavonis

Pavonis Commodore Commodore

I'm watching it, too. Dr. Park is great, I'd watch just for him.

"Not do, dead."

"What's the worst case scenario?" "Dead."

7. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

I've seen one episode straight through.

Doctor Park is annoying. So is the super-abrasive Indian girl doctor. Ving Rhames is trying too hard to be the Diagnosis Whisperer. I don't care enough to sit through weeks of this until Jamie and Jennifer decide to boink each other and get it over with.

As for the actual Monday Mornings? I don't like attending meetings at my own job. M&M conferences may be super-secret and highly important, but they're still just staff meetings. Which are generally boring. And a stupid thing to build an entire series around.

8. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Watched the pilot. Hated it. Over conceptualized cinematography and a mixture of every doctor show cliche. Bill Irwin and Alfred Molina are not enough to make me care. It was a humorously, overtly sentimental bleak hour. I've gotten better things to do.

9. Pavonis

Really? I think they're the two best characters. Dr. Park shamed his former patient and her husband into dropping a silly malpractice suit! I thought that was pretty bad ass.

Are we supposed to care about those two characters? Because I don't.

It's interesting, though, to see which doctor will be put in the hot seat (well, podium), and figure out where and why they screwed up. Even when the patients live, Molina's character points out what they did wrong, which is different from most other hospital-oriented shows I have watched (admittedly, only a few).

10. Professor Zoom

They're still put in the hot seat when the patients LIVE? That's depressing. That's like succeeding at work and still being called to the carpet by the boss.

11. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

He's a stereotype. Like they couldn't find a foreign-born Asian doctor that speaks better English. He's like Hiro from Heroes.

With all the knowing looks and innuendo between the two of them in the pilot, The creators sure as hell wanted you to care. The fact that you don't simply proves my point.

Then it's worse than a meeting. It's medical school. I thought you had to already be a doctor to be surgeon. I don't want to audit Professor Molina's medical lectures every week either.

12. Pavonis

Well, the M&M is for the characters to learn more about practicing and being good physicians. The surgeons treat their patients as problems and projects, things to be solved and finished. "Professor Molina" reminds them that their patients are people first.

One patient lost their sense of smell after a brain operation. The surgeons counted it a success, until Molina's character told them the patient was a chef, who without a sense of smell could not do her job well anymore. The characters learned to ask about their patients lives and not just their problems.

13. Professor Zoom

:lol: It sounds like a medical drama mixed with the Twilight Zone.