Does it make me a bad person, if I agree with Brannon Braga?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by JanewayRulz!, Sep 21, 2011.

1. JanewayRulz!

JanewayRulz! Vice Admiral Admiral

2. creek_chub

creek_chub Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I'm definitely in agreement about Seven of Nine, I was wary when I watched her first few episodes, but she really grew on me. She's definitely one of my favorites.

Honestly, Threshold doesn't bother me. Is it a good episode? No. But it seemed obvious to me that they were going for something and it backfired, so I don't hold it against them. It happens to the best of us. Besides, I sometimes rewatch it for a laugh so at least I'm getting something out of it, right? :lol:

3. JanewayRulz!

Who can hate an ep that has THIS line???? :confused:

JANEWAY: I've thought about having children, but I must say I never considered having them with you. :guffaw:

I liked Kes, I really did, but I have to admit that I really came to love Seven... ALMOST as much as B'Elanna!

Which explains my last fanfic. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkAt_xUMq24

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkAt_xUMq24[/yt]

4. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

YES! :D I totally agree with him. :bolian:

5. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination
    I still prefer Kes to Seven, but I do think Seven turned out to be a pretty good character.

6. creek_chub

creek_chub Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

True! :guffaw:

7. The Dominion

The Dominion Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I loved Kes, hated Seven at first, still think she wasn't all that great but she did improve well.

Threshold is up with there with Spock's Brain, Move Along Home, and Angel One as one of the dumbest Trek episodes ever. I think Threshold takes the cake though, there were so many instances of faster than warp 10 incidents in the past, and nobody ever turned into a fish person.

8. The Dominion

Hoo boy, I'm gonna say that one more time for effect. You know what happens to you if you go faster than warp 10? You turn into a FISH PERSON! :guffaw:

9. You_Will_Fail

You_Will_Fail Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well of course Seven of Nine was a fantastic addition to the show, but getting rid of Kes wasn't a good idea. All Brannon says is that Seven was a great addition, and that season 4/5/6 were some of the best trek stories.

I agree with him that the concepts of many seasons in 4/5/6 were some of the best in Trek, and that Seven of Nine was a great addition to the show.
    On the flipside I would say that looking at the bigger picture, those seasons were disjointed which negatively affected the show as a whole. And Seven of Nine didn't need to replace another character that had a lot of potential.

10. JanewayRulz!

The only time someone could get away with calling the Captain "Lizard Breath". :rommie:

Another reason to not hate this ep...

On the planet surface... we see two lizrds laying in the mud, and three babies skitter away from the light.

CHAKOTAY: There are traces of human DNA. It's them. But I have to admit, I'm not sure which one is the Captain.
    TUVOK: The female, obviously.
    CHAKOTAY: I don't know how I'm going to enter this into the log.
    TUVOK: I look forward to reading it.

:guffaw: :lol: :guffaw: :lol: :guffaw:

Belanna & Seven! (what???? You thought I'd add a LIZARD video? :eek: ) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftyD6_4Eung&feature=feedrec_grec_index

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftyD6_4Eung&feature=feedrec_grec_index[/yt]

11. Farrens

Farrens Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Seven was a great addition. But Harry should have been shown the curb not Kes. Damn sexiest man in America fiasco.

12. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
  13. The Dominion

Kim really should have gone instead of Kes. I don't know how they would have fit Seven and Kes in together though.

14. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

I find eps. like "Code of Honor" & "Up The Long Ladder" which are culturally and racially more offensive than "Threshold". However, it's interesting that "The Fly" was his original inspiration. I always thought it was "Altered States".

I think Seven was a great addition to Voyager and to Trek in general.
    I think Kes was to stoic of a character to stand out against a group of characters that had far more colorful personalities than she did.
    Seven was very vocal and brought back much of the inner tension the show required.
    I like that Kim stayed over Kes too.
    Kim provided lots of great moments between him and Tom, B'Elanna & Seven. Harry was such a dork he made them all look cooler in comparison. I can't recall any moments between Kes & B'Elanna at all.
    Plus, I think it was a more PC move to keep the only Asian actor to be in the main cast of Trek and less controversial to swap out one blonde blue eyed female character for another.
    Keeping an Asian actor also keeps within Treks theme of showing diversity.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
  15. Solarbaby

Solarbaby Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Kes was so passive and nice it was sickening, I liked the way her character started to develop when she got in touch with her mental powers. I loved threshold and don't see why it's so hated. Seven was a fantastic addition and worthy of replacing Kes. I just don't like Braga's work on Enterprise.

16. Kai Winn

Kai Winn Captain Captain

There is always the fear that scientific and technological progress might backfire, at the moment feel many people that nucular power is not quite safe, or the Hadron collider might produce baddies which consume the planet. Usually makes a good story in SF. Would have been better if this flight had produced an anomaly like in All Good Things.

17. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

I agree with Braga's reasoning for adding Seven and I did not object at all to losing Kes. Both my wife and I laughed our asses off at seeing Janeway and Paris as "Fish People" - catfish, mudfish, salamanders - or whatever the hell they were.

18. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

How about in a single cot?

You might not think there's room but Jennifer is tiny.

19. JanewayRulz!

20. You_Will_Fail

You_Will_Fail Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Kes was a feminine, gentle soul. Seven was the opposite.
    The stories and interactions that coulda come out of that would have been much more interesting and deep than Harry having the hots for Seven and sometimes embarrassing himself sitcom style.