DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

2. Admiral_Young

3. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I love John Romita Jr.'s stuff. It would be interesting to see how he would interpret Superman.

4. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

5. Savage Dragon

What do you mean?

6. Hound of UIster

Avengers vs X-Men
    The current volume of Captain America.

The art is just terrible and spotty at places and DC has less quality controls than Marvel.

7. Admiral_Young

Yep. His Captain America art has been inconsistent all the way through the run...and I believe he's working with his "Kick-Ass" team. His run on Avengers was poor as well. The best work he's done IMO has been on Kick-Ass.

8. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Justice League Dark #22 Trinity War pt 3

Wow, that was really good art! Is that the regular artist for this book? I don't read it. And here I was thinking this book was going to be the weak link creatively speaking. I don't see how this is going to resolve in only two more issues, everything is still a mystery...

9. Admiral_Young

Mikel Janin has been the regular artist on Justice League Dark I believe since the book started. It's written by Jeff Lemaire, so I wasn't surprised at the quality of writing at the book at all. Trinity War is only the beginning. As mentioned prior it this is basically just set up for Forever Evil. Once again I am reminded of Identity Crisis, and can see why Geoff Johns basically said this was the New 52 version of that event. Things are starting to come into play for the Outsiders plan...and we have three more issues to go not two. Trinity War will conclude with Justice League# 23 next month. I think things will become more clear there as we get into Villains Month.

10. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Aquaman #22 - Another good issue. The Dead King is telling Arthur that is family usurped the throne, that he's not a true king of Atlantis and as Mera tries to rally finds out that her people back the Dead King as well. Arthur is wounded pretty good so not sure how he and Mera get out of this. A loose B-story of the attempt to break Orm out is also underway as well as a C-story with a few panels of the Scavenger looting Atlantis while Arthur is away. Surprisingly all of this was juggled well!! It reamains one of the top tier written books DC is doing.

Justice League Dark #22 - while I've resigned myself to not read these crossover events and do not know the full details about Dr.Light and Superman up to this point I feel the issue gave me enough broad strokes. As well as the dynamic that puts WW and Batman on opposite sides as they square off in The House of Mystery. Constantine and Shazam going off has to be due to Shazam's total unfamilarity with Constantine, no one just goes off with him, sure sign of a rookie. The art was execeptional again for the crossover. The art on this book has been strong for it's run and the stories equalled the monthly dollar. Hope some sample this book after Trinity War passes, sure it could use it.

11. ToddKent

ToddKent Captain Captain

I'm in the camp that doesn't like to see Captain Marvel (I'm not calling him Shazam) have the same personality as Billy. Marvel has the wisdom of Solomon and Billy does not. So it was a little irritating to see him about to take candy from a stranger in JLD.

12. Savage Dragon

I've only gotten to Flash and Superman this week but I have to say Flash is definitely one of my favourites. The art is always great and aside from Wonder Woman it is the one book that seems to be the most consistent to me.

13. Hound of UIster

Superman Batman is also excellent. The appearances with the Earth-2 Batman and Supeman feels more like Pak is writing the encounter as a meeting between the Pre and Post-Flashpoint versions. Good stuff and the art with Jae Lee is just beautiful.

I don't think it's just usurped. I think it implies that Arthur's people aren't even true Atlanteans, but rather likely renegades. It's probably that Mera's people are the true heirs of Atlantis and why the Dead King returned there instead of to Atlantis.

14. Admiral_Young

I just finished reading Aquaman #22 and agree with Captain Craig. Geoff Johns is just doing some outstanding stuff with this book, and I love the mythology building as well. I also agree with House of UIster as well. I wouldn't be surprised if Johns is attempting to use this ancient conflict as the means of Atlantis' downfall. The art is beautiful as usual as well.

15. Admiral_Young

I just read Grant Morrison's Grand Finale for Batman Incorporated and absolutely love it. I know there are those on the board who aren't a fan of some of the things that he did with the character and the mythos...but this has become my all time favourite runs. Chris Burnham too...what a find as well. This was one of his best issues on art as well. The mysterious figure we talked about last month was indeed a Kane...and House of UIster was correct in identifying which one. The ending was simply marvelous.

Morrison mentioned that he thought "fans would hate it". I'm not particularly sure what he was meaning when he said that. He even included a mention of Zero Year...so now we pretty much can confirm this takes place in the New 52. That actually surprised me when I read that line.

16. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

It was an alright ending. I now have to re-read the whole series because I don't remember what Spyral is though lol

I never found the art to be very good in this series. It's too bad they couldn't have gotten a prominent artist to pair with Morrison. Is Andy Kubert doing anything lately?

17. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

You know the idea that Arthurs people may not be the true native Atlantians hadn't occurred to me. My thought was a coup had happened but by native Atlantians.
    This possibility then that Mera's people might be the true Atlantians is interesting...so then who, by what name, might the usurpers have gone by before taking the name Atlantians for themselves. This may just get even more interesting over in Aquaman than it already has.
    We have met other groups/clans/cities in the ocean that don't claim heritage to Atlantis so a precedent is there.

18. Savage Dragon

Quick question on Batman. I'm finally catching up on my reading and am getting close to the Death of the Family story line. Can I just read Batman or do I need to pick up all the crossover titles too?

Thanks!

19. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Like "Night of the Owls", all of the primary story takes place in "Batman", but that story splits off into the satellite titles showing what the other characters were doing. So you can totally skip it. But the tie-ins were decent.

20. Savage Dragon

Thanks. I am actually right in the middle of Night of the Owls.