DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

I will be getting these in a couple of months, if I buy any.

I'd appreciate it if a few people posted a few titles that were actually good and/or relate to the overall story.

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Some of the issues are just the Secret Society recruiting various villains for the Crime Syndicate and the various villains answers.

3. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

This. And to top it off, the ones that I have read haven't been particularly dramatic. They are just pages of exposition... this happened, then this happened, and then this happened and THAT's how they became EVVILLLLLLLL.

Dumb. And such a waste.

4. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I haven't read any that felt important yet, but tomorrow there's a Secret Society issue written by Geoff Johns so that one should actually be important.

5. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

The Rogues was a good issue as was Black Manta and H'El was better than I expected. The best ones at least have a plot and are not showing us just how they became bad guys. Most of them fail at this simple point. The covers are all pretty nice though and that is keeping them flying off the shelves.

6. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I found Arcane(Swamp Thing #23.1) to be interesting in that it did give a bit of backstory to him and Abbey. Possibly how threads from that could play out in the book at a later date.

Was not impressed with Eclipso(JLD #23.1), felt that was largely a wasted issue.

I have hopes for Ocean Master(Aquaman #23.2) this week as I also enjoyed Black Manta.

By and large though I may be able to skip on that Omnibus now. This isn't the only board where discussion of villains month is largely sour.

7. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've read a couple of the Villain's Month issues, but have mostly just skipped DC this month.

8. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Superman Batman Doomsday was excellent (probably one of the best but then it's written by Greg Pak and he is using a lot of the pre-FP mythology in unique ways) as was the one with the First Born by Azarello. A lot of these are shit, but it really depends on the writer. I agree the Anton one was interesting.

9. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

I though Riddler and Two-Face were both pretty good. Relic provided some necessary backstory for the upcoming Lights Out event.

10. Admiral_Young

The Riddler one was excellent. I didn't mind the Zod one either. Just finished reading the Secret Society issue and thought it was excellent. Probably my favourite at the moment, and mostly because it gave us Owl Man and Outsider backstory, I'm a sucker for anything Crime Syndicate.

I read the First Born one. Excellent indeed. Ocean Master was okay. Tony Bedard though was writing the issue from a story from him and Johns.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2013
  11. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Agreed about the Riddler one. Really changed my perspective about the character.

12. Admiral_Young

Batman/Superman was excellent as well. The design of 52'Verse Doomsday is awesome. This continues to be my favourite Superman title right now.

13. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I just read it too and you might be on to something there. It was fucking horrible.

14. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

i was reading the new Dial H but lost interest after about five issues or so. it was just a bit too bizarre for me.

15. Savage Dragon

I read the issue that crossed over with The Flash and was not impressed.

16. Savage Dragon

I just read The parasite issue and I thought it was quite good. I really enjoyed it.

17. Admiral_Young

18. Savage Dragon

Is anyone planning on picking up the new Superman/Wonder Woman comic launching this month? Tony Daniel in doing the art so I am looking forward to it.

19. Admiral_Young

I'll be checking it out.

20. Savage Dragon

I have to say I really do not like Tyler Kirkham's art in Action Comics. There's too much of a manga look to Superman's facial expressions.