Did anyone here ever play the highly flawed Star Trek Legacy?

Discussion in 'Trek Gaming' started by martok2112, Jun 8, 2014.

1. martok2112

martok2112 Commodore Commodore

It was indeed a highly flawed game. It did not live up to its promise of content, largely on the Xbox 360 version, which was what I had. The PC version at least had mods for some of the promised content which Bethesda/MadDoc overlooked for release.

But it was also fun if you enjoyed starship combat. Controls could get frustrating at times, and starship selection in PvC battles was extremely limited. I used to play a few online rounds with other Xbox 360 players, and we had a pretty good time, but Bethesda/MadDoc really dropped the ball on what should've been a great game.

Before that, Bridge Commander was a really fun game to play, until you ran into the pussy assed hackers that took the fun out of online battles. Bridge Commander had a good realization of the starship command experience.

2. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

The modded PC version of Legacy was my most favorite of the Star Trek games. I didn't play the Xbox version though so I might have missed your frustration.

3. martok2112

Ya' didn't miss much. :)

4. Destructor

Destructor Commodore Commodore

Yes I played it on 360. It was fine- could have done with some cutscenes (just having the voices coming from the ships was super-lame!) but apart from that it was enjoyable enough to play to the end.

5. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm one of the few who can say it's still in my console gaming rotation... under perfect circumstances it would be Bridge Commander I'd be running over my old tower that I mistakenly abandoned on the dusty, hot streets of Osaka many years ago. Great gaming rig, I miss it.
    One caveat: I disregard Legacy's exhausting story mode. Only the [hastily assembled] skirmish mode serves my short term gaming needs. I've recently enjoyed some glorious Legacy battles.

6. Destructor

Are there still people to play against in MP?

I thought story mode was fine, it's just clear they ran out of money before they could do any cutscenes.

7. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

The game wasn't great, I quit on the story mode fairly quickly. But I did like that the choice of skirmish ships included my favourite FASA Romulan design and the fan-designed Akayzi-class from Ships of the Star Fleet, volume 2.

8. martok2112

For all the game's flaws, I still find myself revisiting it quite often. I usually just play the story mode, but when its MP was a bit more popular on Xbox Live, I had a few good rounds. :)

9. VORTEX8472

VORTEX8472 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I still play it from time to time on 360, mostly skirmishes for fun; kinda disappointed they didn't develop some cinematic-style bridge scenes in Story mode, they already had all 5 captain voice-overs. Missed opportunity :(

10. Destructor

Agreed- the highlight of the SP mode is that not only did they have the five voices, they managed to weave an awesome story that played out across the three 'eras'.

11. martok2112

I do still wish they'd've kept their word and offered up the extra content like the "Wrath of Khan/Mutara Nebula" recreation, and some other interesting historical or sideline tactical simulations.

I liked the across the eras storyline too. Interesting how they tied it all in with Star Trek The Motion Picture.

One of the things I did not like was the very limited nature of the skirmish mode. Especially that you could not choose your enemy's ship. It was all based strictly on the economics in the game, and the computer always chose the most powerful ship it could afford, according to your credit settings.

12. Destructor

Did anyone ever mod it?

13. martok2112

There were some mods made for the PC version.
    Alas, I had the Xbox 360 version.

If there is only one justification I have for saying that PC versions of games are better than consoles....it's mods.

Otherwise, I stick to consoles. :)

14. LeadHead

LeadHead Director of Comedy Premium Member

I played it on console, but have never finished the story mode. There was a missing element: fun.

The skirmish mode I enjoyed, especially the map with the blue nebula, just a beautiful map that would be fun for combat, but also warping around.

15. virtualvoyager

virtualvoyager Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I bought a copy of it early in the year. I completed it about a month or two later. It was frustrating, was glitchy on the level for me where you take control of Kirk's ship, and you first enough the assimilated vessels. I had to play it through again.

It was surely missing the Ferangi, especially with Picard's old ship the Stargazer mission, it was an asteroid mission. That wasn't fun at all!

16. Ember

Ember Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I always felt Legacy was only popular because with all of its high-def mods, anyone without much talent could still create amazing screenshots that looked like a pair of stills taken right out of a Star Trek film.

17. Go-Captain

Go-Captain Captain Captain

It is obvious how Legacy could have been good, the ship models are strong for the time, and certain mechanics are good ideas, but the execution is very bad. I recall reading about the game team being staffed only by amateurs, and being rushed to push out an unfinished project.

I bought the PC version and modded it without even bothering with the plain version, but even then the flaws were too glaring for me to overcome. There are basic mechanics in every game which create the feel, and modders can only go so far in altering a game before they hit a wall. The game is flawed to such a point that modding does not cover up or really alter what is wrong.

It is also very buggy, the XBOX version was definitely the version to get, as it was most stable.

18. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

I played it. On both PC and Xbox 360. I really wanted to like it. I mean I REALLY wanted to like it. With the voices of all the Captains and all the different ships to choose from - how could it possibly go wrong?

Well...

I got the PC version first. This was before I got my Xbox and it was a mistake. First off, I'm pretty sure that the PC version was a port from the game console version. I don't know about others, but some of the in-game control instructions I noticed actually still had console-based A, B, X, Y controller references that are nonsensical in a PC context. Controlling the ship movement vs. camera movement in-combat always led me to an early space-grave and I gave up quickly. I got it for Xbox later, which was a little - ONLY a little - more playable with a multi-stick controller. It was easier to program my brain to work with those controls in a 3D combat environment, but still problematic, particularly at the higher levels of progression. So I gave up and went to the Dragon Age/Fable game series and never looked back.

A+ for concept, C+ for effort, D- for execution.

19. martok2112

Yes, a lot of the ships did really look good for the time. (I was a little disappointed with the K't'inga battlecruiser though.)

The mechanic for locking on to specific starship systems to attack could become tedious. And when you have the window to target one of the four systems (sensors, shields, weapons, engines) it's usually gone before you can set which system you wish to attack.

Yeah, the Stargazer mission could feel like a chore too. I found that the best fleet configuration for that was to have three destroyers in your lineup. They're really fast at impulse, and can get those phaser turrets to their positions really quick.

In multiplayer, the best all around ship was the Intrepid class. It seemed to have the fastest weapons lock, and the most efficient weapons.

I am trying to remember, but I think the Defiant only had a guest spot in the single player campaign. You had to use the Enterprise D to rescue the Defiant from a Romulan starbase. You could play the Defiant in skirmish mode, but I don't think you could in single player.

One thing I did like was how they differentiated phaser fire between the eras. TOS phasers were usually blue and solid. TWOK era phasers had that rapid fire effect. And the TNG phasers went back to solid, fluctuating red. (Although, in the TNG and DS9 series, I wished they had retained the TWOK style phaser effects.)

I also think they got the balance of power wrong between the ships. It was really saddening the way the Vor'Cha class cruiser handled. And the K't'inga seemed really underpowered.

It was too bad that you could not set which ships you wanted to go against in Skirmish 'bot mode.

20. virtualvoyager

virtualvoyager Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Modders were able to add their new content into the game? What software was used to open the files to change them with new ones.