Luther 3 Series

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Joel_Kirk, Feb 23, 2014.

1. Joel_Kirk

Joel_Kirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In the Joel Zone, identifying as Sexually Fluid.
    Any Luther fans like or dislike the 3rd series?

I recently finished watching it, and found it interesting. Not as tightly written as the 1st or 2nd series,

I did like the addition of Sienna Guillory as the love interest. Notably, the addition of her character makes the character of Luther more happier than he has been. In previous the previous two series, he was obviously more moodier, more on edge. In the 3rd season he seems to be loosening up.

I understand that there are talks of a tentative film, which I wouldn't mind seeing. (Just don't kill off Guillory's 'Mary'!)

I won't post the spoiler, but 'something happens' one of my favorite supporting characters in this series.

One of the things I like about Luther is the short series length. One of the reasons Sherlock is on my 'to see' list.

P.S. I hear Russia has plans to remake 'Luther.' I wonder if they'll hire a black actor for the role as well.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  2. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

I love "Luther," period so I enjoyed season 3 just because it existed. But, yes, it was much less focused than the other 2 series---but it was still pretty darn good.

I'm not sure a "Luther" movie would be successful here. It has a pretty narrow audience, so matter how good the film might be, very few people would be interested in seeing it.

I don't know why you think they'd hire a black actor for a Russian version; Luther being black is completely inconsequential. The reason Luther is such a good show is they hired exactly the right actor, with the perfect balance of intensity and pathos, for the part. Who they cast, rather than his color, is the important factor.

3. Joel_Kirk

Why do I think they - Russian producers - would hire a black actor?

Because Russia is kinda known for being a few years behind in racial relations, especially in regards to black people. If they did cast a black male, and had that black male opposite love interests who were white or Asian, that would show some progress.

Yeah, in a perfect world, casting someone based on his or her ability alone would generally bring a lot of diverse films. Not only in regards to Russia, but America. Unfortunately, we do not live in a perfect world.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  4. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

What I felt when I first watched it still holds. They didn't earn the ending. They knew they wanted to end with that moment and tried to guide the story in that direction, but it never made it so it felt like they were cheating when they went with it anyways.

5. Joel_Kirk

I also felt a bit cheated with the ending. It seemed like they were leaving it open for a tentative 4th series or the tentative film.