"Fast and Furious 6" Review and Discussion Thread (spoilers)

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Dream, May 19, 2013.

?

Rate Fast and Furious 6

1. Excellent

66.7%
  2. Above Average

22.2%
  3. Average

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Below Average

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Poor

11.1%
  1. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think if you've enjoyed the series so far you'll like this. Suspension of disbelief is required at parts (per usual) but it delivers on the charm and mayhem.

2. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Anyone notice how many badass women this franchise has? Trek could learn a thing or two! :lol:

3. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

My only problem was that the speeds of the cars were inconsistent with some earlier films. I suspect that J.J. Abrams was responsible.

4. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

- That was one hell of a long runway. Someone calculated it to be about 16 miles or 26km long. :eek: :lol:

- This movie has already made more money than Star Trek Into Darkness.

As of May 26th…
    Furious 6: $275,528,000.
    Star Trek Into Darkness: $248,927,000.

Source: Box Office Mojo

- I was expecting Eva Mendes to show up but she didn't and I didn't notice. As to why she wasn't there, Justin Lin said that he couldn't work her in.

- And finally, a quick question… Any reason why O'Conner drives cars with the steering wheel on the right?

5. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, you'd expect that.

The crowd was a lot of fun on Saturday - a lot younger and louder than at Trek movies.

6. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, the crowd I saw Fast and Furious with was young, energetic, and really into the movie. The first time I saw Into Darkness was with a terrible crowd and the second time was with a much older crowd. That's a problem.

7. Star Wolf

Star Wolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The only reason I can think of is that according to Dom's dialog the character is into the Japanese cars which dominated the original movie and not the Detroit Muscle cars brought in with Dom's father's Charger at the end and for the rest of the run.

Furious 6 meant nothing to me, I was wishing for The Furious 5 a few years back in homage to the pioneering Hip-Hop group. After seeing the credit sequence I wish they had already filmed the next installment like they did with Harry Potter or Lord Of The Rings. I what to see that more then the remaining films of this summer.

All told F&F has passed Olympus Has Fallen for my favorite action film of 2013 so far.

8. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Brian prefers driving imports (which tend to have steering wheel on right) while Dom prefers American muscle cars. They joked about that a bit when Dom gave the toy black Charger car to his nephew.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2013
  9. Star Wolf

Star Wolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Only the imports tend to come ready for the US market with the wheel on the left but a buff might seek out a model made for the home country. I can't remember Brian having one in the first film but he raced from the right hand side on his way to Miami, when Customs and the FBI caught him.

10. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

Charm and mayhem works for me.

:techman:

11. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

It's amazing how the scope of this series has evolved... I think 6 was even better than 5. The action scenes were incredible and edge of your seat, and it had a much stronger villain than 5 (not counting the Rock as a villain).

And that end scene definitely has me jazzed for 7!

12. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

My take: I hadn't seen any of this franchise's movies before '11, but the rhapsodic Fast Five reviews led me to rent it, and I very much enjoyed it, so today I made it out to Numero Seis.

Alas, Fast Five this ain't.

For starters, this is one dark movie. Visually speaking, that is. Two of the three major action sequences take place at night, in underlit streets and an isolated area, and that just isn't very much fun. There's also far too much quick-cutting and super close-ups during brawls and chases alike, so boo on that.

Second, the plot (and yes, plot is important even in this sort of flick) is totally meh. Something about stopping a baddie from stealing a microchip that could wreak havoc on an entire nation's communications network. (Just how it would do this is not explained or even handwaved.) And, because there are so few bad-guy ideologies left in the world, we get yet another standard-issue "the villain is really just an utterly immoral freelancer, who'll sell the WMD to the real creeps" plot. Yawn. Worse still, our heroes start off fabulously wealthy, and their quest to rescue Michelle Rodriguez isn't nearly as interesting as their rags-to-riches heist plot of Five. If her character was interesting before, she certainly isn't here.

Third, the locations are pretty drab. We trade in the favelas and balmy streets of Rio for a few Mediterranean cameos, but mostly a London and isolated military base setting. London is of course a wonderful city, but it isn't nearly as good a fit for the heavily Latin/outlaw Furious flavor. We get two big chases through magically under-populated streets at night, but neither is very compelling, and the drag race party scene is culturally absurd even by this franchise's standards.

Fourth and most important, though, the villain is seriously weak sauce, a completely generic Eloquent and Civil Yet Dastardly Brit. His driving motivation? "Efficiency". Snore. Five's cartel baron was far more hiss-able, and The Rock made for a great grudging pursuer. Here, The Rock plays the Da Chief part, which isn't nearly as interesting. And he does something late in the movie that should make him one of the fugitives permanently, but doesn't.

Also, Gina Carano fails to make much of an impression. And despite being in the F5 end credits bonus, Eva Mendes is absent.

Did I like anything about the movie? Sure: the cast is fun to watch, there's some great dubiously-intentional laughs, and the end-credits scene makes me look forward to the seventh outing. It plods in the middle and towards the end - the final action sequence is kinda dry toast - but it never quite becomes boring.

All in all, whereas Five was definitely worth a ticket, this is definitely worth a rental. Here's hoping the new villain gets to shine, the locations become exotic and sun-soaked again, and Michelle gets to play a lot more fun and less blank/confused next time.

C+

13. throwback

throwback Captain Captain

The film was about Vin Diesel restoring his family. The villain was ancillary to that plot. The villain was big on precision and he was building the parts for Nightshade, a technology that would block out military communications for a nation for 24 hours. We did see streets populated by people and cars. I liked that Lettie Ortiz didn't get her memory restored.

Yes, there were moments of ridiculousness. One moment is the airplane sequence. It could have been shortened with the plane disabled, and the fight continuing on the runaway. I am still attempting to understand how Giselle died. She wasn't that far off the runaway when she dropped off the car. The best that I can determine is that she hit the runaway wrong.

14. Gaith

More like getting his old girlfriend back, and hanging out with some bros along the way - although he doesn't "hang out" so much as "stand apart glowering, while vaguely appreciative of his bros' presence".

Problem is, nothing about Dom in this movie suggests an interesting character, so basing a story around him doesn't really work. He was much better in Five, where the main plot focus was on O'Connor and his sister's safety and financial well-being, and he led the team mainly to help them.

So was Nero to Trek XI, but at least he was menacing and had presence. This guy looked and acted like the import/export accountant the script likened him to.

By magic, presumably. Because Bond already took care of both Goldeneye satellites.

Very barely, by London standards.

Yeah, for a movie in which a guy can casually remove a bullet from his shoulder, slap a bit of gauze on and then carry on as usual, the girl's fall and tumble onto concrete doesn't seem a mandatory death sentence. Given the speeds they were going, anyone in real life would be shredded by the road burn, and would bleed out even if her neck and spine miraculously didn't snap, but one would have thought Han would have sped away to look for her. Minus consistency points.

15. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Now while that Star Trek comparison came up.

Here's what I find funny. All this talk about how Star Trek needs to be made more accessible to those confused audiences. And yet here comes Fast & Furious 6, part of a film franchise where there are a lot of cast/character changes, and the 3rd film even takes place after the 6th film, and there are even short films in between, and the films' stories are tightly connected! Over at the Star Trek franchise, people would never do that because they think it would totally confuse the audience!

16. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Just did exactly this (except I forgot Los Bandoleros) - I wondered what all the fuss was about so I purchased the boxset for my son and I to watch.

Although I like Diesel, I have less than zero interest in cars and have never even bothered to learn to drive. I do, however, enjoy 'Top Gear' and this certainly fits into the same category.

The first movie is fun - Point Break 'lite' with cars. The second smacked of lower budget sequel with a reduced cast, and the third one was 'straight to DVD with no-one from the other films' fodder.

Getting the main cast back was smart, retconning the third film to be set 'later' and bringing in Han to the main cast was near genius for this sort of film-making !

Four and Five were the best films - 6 is great fun, but dumb and just stretches credibility too far too often. I still loved it though !

Don't expect anything deep or profound from any of these films - they really are a guilty pleasure, but roll on Fast 7 !

17. Base_Delta_Zero

Base_Delta_Zero Commodore Commodore

Thankfully saw this in a matinee. I seem to remember these movies being entertaining, and kinda stupid, but not laugh out loud stupid. Scene after scene was so hilarious, the audience (of like ten people) couldn't stop cracking up. The plot, the dialogue, the acting -man. More power to them, I guess, cause they made a shit-ton of cash, but damn, they're not even trying anymore.

The climax of laughter came when Dom launches from his crashing car over the guardrail, catches Letty mid-air going 70+ mph and lands on another car ...without a scratch! Then of course there's the 70 ton tank somehow being flipped by the 2 ton car getting caught up on the overpass because of the "magic cable". I laughed so hard I cried.

Dom's flying headbutt during the Russian transport plane brawl was great in a slapstick way, too. Actually, now that I think about it, the series seems to have devolved into a live-action anime. I hope the next one involves flying mecha racing in Japan with Jason Statham surfing on top of them kicking people to death!

Perspective:
    Movie - F
    2 hr Gag Reel - :techman:

18. Gaith

19. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

I loved the opening montage too. It felt like Justin Lin's farewell to the franchise.

I find it interesting how this series was able to evolve over the years to great success. The first three movies were about car racing, but the next were a revenge film, a heist movie, and a terrorist manhunt. Fast Five was the Avengers of the franchise in terms of bring everyone together.

20. throwback

throwback Captain Captain

I was reading articles on this film. One person referred to these people as superheroes. I can believe that. The issue I was pointing to with Giselle was that it wasn't clear to me how she died. I think it could have been made clearer.

I see Dom as a leader who has crafted his people into a professional team that have each other's backs and, over time, these people have gelled into a family. The montage shows their history through the films. As for his "evil twin" Shaw, this man had served in the SAS in one of their mobility units in Afghanistan. He wasn't some accountant.

I like this movie and IM3. ST:ID was a disappointment for me.

I am reading that Vin Diesel sees the seventh film as the beginning of a new trilogy in the franchise.

http://guardianlv.com/2013/06/fast-furious-7-begins-a-new-trilogy-according-to-vin-diesel/

I am looking forward to this film.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2013