The Walking Dead Season 3

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Gotham Central, Jul 14, 2012.

1. Kytee

Kytee Commander Red Shirt

yes he was , though things played out a touch differently,

When Rick went back to the town ( alone iirc ) it wasn't all fortified. He did find Morgan , and Duane had been turned, he had Duane chained up alot like the gonvenor had his daughter chained. Rick was able to convince Morgan to come back with him to the group ( they had left the prison by this time ) Morgan ended up shooting the chain holding Duane and letting him wander off before they left. I don't think it was ever suggested that the mother zombie was the one who bit Duane in the comics, but I could just be forgetting that part

Cheers

2. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What would fuel your yacht? Those things are fuel guzzlers and without working fuel stations you wouldn't get far.

3. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

They would just find boat dealerships on the outskirts of towns. ;) I'm a bit to smart-assy for my own good today..

4. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Video...
    [yt]www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCj3Lmz8nX4[/yt]

5. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

We are lead to believ in TWD that the zombie apocalypse occured rather quickly. You'd think at most ports would be multiple fuel sources - still mostly full - and with a generator you could fuel up a boat at multiple locations up and down the coastline.

Smart ass.

6. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

<Tries to imagine Rick's group trying to learn how to run a sailing yacht. Hears theme to Gilligan's Island.>

7. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Terrible plan. Biggest part of which is that I forget what percentage of the population lives along the coastline, but it's MOST of it. So you'd be heading into MASSIVE zombie herds to find this boat. And you want a big yacht? Now we're talking bigger populations to find communities that can afford them. And they're huge gas-guzzlers. Fine if you just want a nice boat to drift off and die at sea in, but not much else. Every time you pull over for gas (and it would be OFTEN), you're heading into heavily-populated areas to find marinas to refuel at.

Correct answer (if you already lived close to water, not worth it if you're too far away) was SAILBOAT. They run on magic instead of diesel. One with a windmill/turbine on it (and many do have them) would even keep your batteries charged, so you'd get lights, electronics, fridge/cooking, maybe even desalinization if you stole a nice one. Harder to pilot, but a much nicer option.

Either way, key to surviving these sorts of things is to be as far from a population center as you can. preferably when it hits, but definitely head there after. Heading back into populated areas would be suicide. Long after initial outbreaks, it may be worth going back, if only to loot from the dead cities, but not while it's still this active.

8. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

I would pay to see Rick's dreary group in a Gilligan setting!

9. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

That was the plan in the Dawn of the Dead remake, but the conclusion--running into more zombies wherever you dock--would not increase their chances of safety. They would be on the run forever with a boat as their primary means of transportation.

10. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

At least you'd have a genuine refuge for most of your time, and you'd only encounter zombies when you were fully prepared for it. That's miles ahead of anything we've seen in either Dawn of the Dead or the Walking Dead.

Plus acquiring food and water (assuming they could get their hands on a few desalination devices) would limit how often they'd have to dock. They also wouldn't have to worry about wasting any more ammunition then they'd have to, such as when waking up in the middle of the night when a herd of zombies just happen to be wandering by.

It's not like there's been any evidence that the virus has spread to any animals or anything. So fishing would be perfectly viable, and extremely plentiful now that all the commercial fishing is no longer an issue.

11. DarthTom

Good points. I guess I was thinking of some of the more rural coastal areas here in GA and near the GA border like Tybee Island, Hilton Head SC etc which are beach communities but not large population centers because they are vacation destinations.

In Hilton Head for example, last time I went there are some really, really big yachts that are moured there year around even though owners don't live in Hilton Head.

BTW, Hilton Head would be approx 4 hours away for Rick and group from where they are here in GA for the show.

12. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

My mother grew up on Tybee Island and I still have family who lives there. I love the Lighthouse there, always has been my favorite. Some of my most cherished moments as a child were visiting and swimming on the beach.

13. Caligula

Caligula Vice Admiral Admiral

Love hearing her genuine accent. Those might be the most obvious hair extensions I've ever seen, but still.... Damn!:adore:

14. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

She lived there with them after the outbreak, & died there from the bite fever. Rick mentions that he knows whose house it is when he was 1st there

As for why she might keep returning or following them? This is what I call the teddy bear phenomena, because that is where we 1st saw the behavior. Episode one, scene one, a little girl is dragging her feet through a parking lot, & bends to pick up a teddy bear, prior to being called out to by Rick, who she then charges & gets shot by

What's a zombie need with a teddy bear? You can assume it was likely the little girl's teddy bear, before she died. When the zombie is not consumed by feeding frenzy, they exhibit a lot of peculiar behavior, like sitting in the church, as someone mentioned, or going to pick up what use to be their teddy bear

In Jenner's 2nd event scans from the CDC you can see very minimal impulses randomly firing out from the brain stem. Based loosely on this we can postulate that some are firing into the memory centers of the brain, bringing about these echoes of the person they once were, as Milton Mamet calls them from his research

The neural scans of Test Subject 19

The most horrifying thing about this show is that they toy with the notion that in some way, some of their humanity is still there, but only when there's nothing to feed on around

15. Immolatus

Immolatus Captain Captain

what if Rick took Daryl instead of Michonne would they have stopped for the hitchhiker?

16. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

Now i know why she looked so familiar! At least The Walking Dead gives her character more respect than Supernatural ever did...

17. Vendikarr

Vendikarr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't know if they would have stopped, but Rick and Daryl would have exchanged words. Given his reaction on the bridge when out with Merle, Daryl has become a big proponent of saving human life.

However Daryl would probably have deferred to Rick, but not without losing little respect for him.

18. DarthTom

Daryl's reaction on the bridge was because there was an infant in the car. I'm not so sure he would have stopped Merle from taking some supplies if only adults were in the car.

19. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

^^ That's really why I like Daryl.. His character, for having so few words, has so much depth..

I'm not current with the comics... Has his character been introduced yet, as had been planned?

20. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm not a reader but I've heard that Daryl & Merle aren't in it at all

Even with Daryl on board, I doubt anyone would have wanted to stop for some crazy yelling guy wandering about the zombie apocalypse seemingly alone. Even though it turned out not to be, the whole thing stinks of a trap

What I've been wondering is if maybe the hitchhiker had been one of Morgan's victims, who escaped somehow. That's the only reason I can foresee someone alone, ambling about the highway, defenseless, after surviving a year in Zombieland