Klingon Augments in Trials & Tribbilations

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Photon, May 8, 2011.

1. Photon

Photon Commodore Commodore

Shouldn't they have cleaned the floor w/the humans? Anyway, I appreciate DS9 for at least broaching the topic of how the Klingons changed. Wished we'd have seen something of how Kor and Koloth and those dudes changed back to Klingon "normal".

Does anyone like ST: ENT's explanation of the augment situation?

More: how about the Romulans, were they augmented in the TOS days? Gah!

2. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Those Klingons weren't Augments in the same way the Human Augments were, they were descendents of those who were exposed to a modified flu virus that made them lose their ridges, but in curing them they didn't gain any increased strength or intelligence as the Human Augments are given. So the TOS Klingons would be the same strength as any Klingon despite lacking ridges.

I'm fine with ENT's answer to the question, but if DS9 didn't (unknowingly) put them in the situation of having to explain that the difference was something in-universe and not purely a makeup issue I'd have been fine if someone just said there was no in-universe reason, it was completely a production thing.

As for the Romulans. Given they are related to Vulcans maybe some just naturally look more Vulcan for whatever reason.

3. G2309

G2309 Captain Captain

I liked the ds9 writers approach that any explanation would be ridiculous wgat Worf said was perfect. Didnt like the way ENT tried to explain it.

4. Distorted Humor

Distorted Humor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The only way that would of been better then Ds9 way of handling it would be when the time shift occurs, have worf makeup change to the 1960s makeup and not have a soul comment on the change.

5. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Or the Romulan ridges could be due to Reman influence.

6. Rom's Sehlat

Rom's Sehlat Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Why? Because bats have forehead ridges? ;)

Perhaps it's time for someone to do a remastering of "Trials and Tribble-ations" where Worf does change to a 60's era Klingon!

7. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

The humans in "Trouble With Tribbles" had no problem kicking Klingon ass. So why should the humans in "Trials and Tribbilation have a problem?

8. USS Excelsior

USS Excelsior Commodore Commodore

And we never see any regular Klingons in TOS, and after TMP we don't see any more TOS Klingons. And I suppose Kang, Koloth, and Kor spontaneously got better along with the other TOS Klingons.

9. The Boy Who Cried Worf

The Boy Who Cried Worf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah the episode was supposed to be a nod and a wink to fanboy nitpicking, but I think it raised a bigger question. How is it possible Bashir and O'Brien were unaware that the Federations greatest enemy looked different in the past then they do now. I mean I know they didn't have television anymore, but did they get rid of all cameras too?:vulcan:

10. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Maybe they failed 23rd Century History because they didnt pay attention?

11. Mr. Laser Beam

They probably just didn't bother to look in the history books. Why would they? I doubt it was something they liked to think about. The only Klingons they ever knew personally were allies (such as Worf), so they wouldn't have been motivated to go poking around.

12. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

And if smooth Klingons were the minority, then it could be that all the one pictured in the Federation history textbooks for the 23rd century (ambassadors, chancellors, and the like, probably) were ridged.

13. exalted one

exalted one Commander Red Shirt

You're forgetting one thing: 23rd century humans themselves are descendants of augments. There's no way of telling how many augments managed to send their DNA forth before they were overthrown.
    Or you never wondered why Kirk manages to beat the poo out of Khan in the engineering scene? ;)

14. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Two things.

One, would a augment be capable of producing children with a normal Human being?

Two, according to the conversation between Spock and McCoy, Khan and the other "supermen" were not genetically augmented, but rather the result of selective breeding, not the same thing. Khan and the augments were two different creations.

:)

15. Photon

Photon Commodore Commodore

Good pt. Khan ruled the Earth in the 80's 90's, I blv and was overthrown from the Eugenics War. Nice call

16. USS Excelsior

USS Excelsior Commodore Commodore

Yes they would, and the kids would be augments too since their DNA is far more aggressive.

17. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

Assuming Joachim was the offspring of Khan and the non-superhuman McGivers, it would seem that the "augment genes" lost out for the most part: Joachim's ethnical phenotype is more like that of her mother than her father...

Joachim isn't quite as aggressive as his dad, either, nor quite so fundamentally stupid.

Timo Saloniemi

18. GNDN

GNDN Commodore Commodore

Where is that assumed?

19. Mr. Laser Beam

^ Lots of fans seem to think so. No line in the movie supports this openly, though Khan's actions as Joachim lays dying ("I shall avenge you!") do seem to imply it.

AFAIK, in the Eugenics Wars novels, Joachim is the son of Joaquin, one of the other Augments.

20. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

This would have been pure win.