Vancouver Olympics Discussion

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by tomalak301, Feb 5, 2010.

1. Locutus

Locutus Captain Captain

Sorry, Tomalak, was just messing with you! It certainly wasn't you specifically, just the whole "everything that Hollywood wants to legally stream in on Hulu but the Canadians can't see it" thing. I certainly never meant to actually be aiming any kind of slam on you! (Unless, of course, you happen to actually BE the CEO of Hulu, in which case YOU SUCK!) :devil:

2. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

I completely agree. I can't really explain why, but watching a sports event delayed is at best half the fun. Maybe it's that feeling, that the world kind of revolves around what you're watching right now, like when you're in the stadium and forget about the outside world; and you're watching the same thing everyone else is watching.

3. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Today I learned that one of the girls on the American Hockey Team actually graduated from my high school a year after I did. :eek:

4. JAMS

JAMS Cadet Newbie

So, did anyone watch the moguls today? Gold for Canada!!! Our main concern was the Aussie/expat Canuck who came in second. What tha? Did you see his actions on the podium? Most peculiar with his bouquet. Check it out on utube. Was he actually simulating pissing on it all???

5. Malleus

Malleus Admiral Admiral

If you're right, he's a sorer loser than I thought.

6. Roger Wilco

Downhill skiing starts right now. :)

7. BigFoot

BigFoot Admiral Admiral

^ Oh yeah baby. :D

8. Roger Wilco

Another debacle for the Austrian skiiers - oh well, I don't like any of them anyway. ;)

I hope Cuche wins it.

9. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

And everyone in the US has to wait till Prime Time, on Presidents Day. Gotta love TV decisions. :rolleyes:

10. BigFoot

BigFoot Admiral Admiral

^ Well we are talking about NBC here. It's like their slogan is "Our bad decisions, on your TV screens".

11. tomalak301

Unfortunately, the Ratings are proving them right. Of all the major markets, the Mountain and Pacific Timezones are 1 and 2. Of course they spin it as such with the whole BS "We've done market research and people want to watch things when they are at home" nonsense. Of course they do. It's the only time it's on, they plug everything in to fit a nice 4 hour package, and literally hold people hostage. Of course I haven't heard a single person yet say they like the time delay, so go figure.

12. Canadave

Canadave Vice Admiral Admiral

Not a great day for Canada in the downhill, unfortunately. Not that this is usually a huge strength for us, but it would have been nice to squeak out a bronze or something.

On the other hand, curling and men's hockey starts tomorrow. Woot! :D

13. Smiley

Smiley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Doesn't NBC's Olympics website offer live streaming of events? Sure, you don't get the benefit of your television's size and capabilities, but it is a way to watch the events as they happen.

14. tomalak301

Not really, and what they do offer you have to go and tell them what service you have, and register or do something. I don't have a Comcast account, (My parents do but I'm not going to hassel them about it) and what they do show is not really worth going out of the way to create one.

15. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

16. tomalak301

No, unfortunately.

17. Roger Wilco

It was your best chance at getting an Alpine Skiing medal though imo.

18. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Dumpers.

Isn't there software available to get around this region-internet-video-locking thing?

What are all the hackers doing? Lip Syncing Teddy Ruxpins to the Obama inauguration speech?

19. Pegaritaville

Pegaritaville Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't agree with NBC's scheduling decisions, but I can kind of understand their reasoning. They paid something like $850 million for the broadcast rights, so of course they want the "popular" events in prime time. But for the viewers, it sucks (especially for people like you who actually live in the same time zone as the games but don't get to see anything live). In the central time zone we get some events live, but there's too many tape delays for an Olympics this close to home. Sure wish I didn't have to wait until tonight to see the downhill skiing.

20. Roger Wilco

Snowboard Cross is an incredible sport, extremely spectacular.