BLSSDWLF's TOS Enterprise WIP

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by blssdwlf, Apr 24, 2010.

1. chronografer

chronografer Ensign Red Shirt

Wow- I take a weekend away from the web and look at all the messages!

I checked my TMOST and it is a first edition: September 1968. As soon as a friend told me it was on the bookshelf, I biked on down to the local shopping center and spent my hard-earned allowance on it. Boy, was I jazzed!

I did a Huginized + Photoshop correction to the hanger deck drawings last year. I am posting it to my website folder as well:

www.richkurz.com/posts/SquaredSheets3-4.gif

What I found interesting is the the forward bulkhead width pretty well equalled the depth from the forward bulkhead to the hangar door bulkhead.
    +RK

2. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

I believe you're right. The AG unit we see overhead behind Kelso appears to be the one connecting the wall with the "Environmental" ladder shaft with another (not seen in episode).

It's even more obvious in the shots with Dr. Piper leaving and Kirk entering. In the background you can clearly see the panel next to this room where Kirk and Spock disappear and Yeoman Doe exits in the alternate edit (turbolift or stairway) and illustrated in one of these two photos from The Making of Star Trek.

Bob

3. chronografer

Pardon me for going tangential, but the moment I have waited for since Sept.8, 1966 happened just one hour ago - IT CAME! The new 1/350 scale Polar Lights TOS E!
    And it was worth the wait. You might say it is worth its wait in gold.

Okay. I am under control. Now back to the thread.
    +RK

4. chronografer

Say, Mytran- how do you post a thumbnail and have it linked to a hi-rez image?
    +RK

5. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As simply as possible:

1. Go to Trekcore
    2. View the thumbnail's http address (rightclick+properties), copy and use it to insert a picture [​IMG] in TrekBBS
    3. Back at Trekcore, click on the thumbnail to open up the hi-res image, copy the HTTP and use it to insert a hyperlink [​IMG] on the picture in TrekBBS.

Hope that helps! So to slightly de-rail the thread.

6. chronografer

Here are links to my effort to combine the two scans of the corridor from TMOST. Suprisingly, I had to disproportionally scale one or the other to get them to match. The difference in contrast on the left side shows where I chose to mate the two. Actually I overlaid the two so that the arches were the same size and position.
    I find it interesting (or bothersome depending on if it is not really so) that the arch is NOT at a right angle to the corridor wall in either the TMOST shot or the color screen cap I worked with. Anything is possible on a set to get the shot, but how would that help here? I don't know. (I hope my thumbnail/links work.) +RK

[​IMG] [​IMG]

7. chronografer

Aargh - I am within a corporate firewall on lunchbreak and it won't let me post images.
    Later +RK

8. chronografer

9. blssdwlf

blssdwlf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hey guys, don't get in trouble at work. This thread will still be here after work hours. (I'm on vacation right now which is how I can post during the day ;) )

10. chronografer

NEW AND IMPROVED
    I remade the composite of the two TMOST corridor scans. Interestingly - VERY interestingly - my scan from the first edition did not match the proportions of blssdwlf. I took them individually into Hugin to do my elevation views and could not get the arch to be at a right angle to the wall. Instead it came out to be 15 deg. off the perpendicular. But I had no problem with blssdwlf's scan. The arch was 90 deg. to the wall and the ceiling cross panels were parallel to the arch!
    So I made a new composite and this time carefully worked on my scan to match the other using the transformation/distort tool in Photoshop. The images below are the result.
    Note that the camera position for each image is:
    TMOSTcompArch - middle of right edge
    TMOSTcompDeck - lower left corner
    TMOSTcompWall - middle left edge
    I ended up with a focal length of 45.3mm, or 39.34 deg. in TMOSTcompHugin.
    I hope that gives you something useful to analyze.
    +RK
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. blssdwlf

Okay, here is my first pass at the "Where No Man Has Gone Before" Corridor with it's descending end section :) Camera set at 28mm.

Happy Thanksgiving to all! :D

[​IMG]

12. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That ramp is a lot longer than I imagined! Interesting to find out.

13. Robert Comsol

Happy Thanksgiving and thanks for another great piece of original set reconstruction. Are we also going to see the rest of the corridor with the angled in corridor segment? The AG units overhead seem to have the equal amount of space in between?

Bob

14. blssdwlf

Thanks guys. What's an AG unit?

15. Robert Comsol

In ship's lingo the acronym "AG" stands for "Artificial Gravity". In TOS I heard at least twice a report, after the ship had been shaken and stirred, "AG Section, gravity is at 0.7" (unfortunately these reports are mixed into the center channel, so it's impossible to isolate these intercom reports :scream:).

I had always thought these overhead beams to be such AG units, i.e. before ENTERPRISE's "In a Mirror, Darkly" double episode (where much of the action in part II takes place on the TOS USS Defiant - since events occur in the mirror universe I had absolutely no problems with a previous Enterprise :D) more or less canonically established the function.

A thing I found extremely interesting in that ENTERPRISE episode were the extra sets on the engineering deck levels (well, I think those were these enigmatic engineering deck levels) we never saw before:

Here we have a corridor I believe to run the warp drive plasma to the pylons (the plasma tubes are left and right behind the corridor walls): http://ent.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/4x19/inamirrordarkly2_208.jpg

Then, there is this one I believe to occupy the aft of the two decks (or levels) below the engine room: http://ent.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/4x19/inamirrordarkly2_308.jpg

At first I thought it looked too modern but there was a familiar feel to the angles of the walls. Compare to this screencap from "The Naked Time" and the energizers / reactors on the side: http://tos.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x04hd/thenakedtimehd1022.jpg

I believe these ENT walls either to be energizers / reactors or protective walls for these (note that even the hatches on these walls correspond to what appear to be control elements on the TOS energizers :eek:). Makes me wonder if these energizers we've seen standing in the engine room (at different spots in Season One) are supposed to be fixed to the floor or have merely been lifted up from one of the lower levels for maintenance...

Bob

16. Robert Comsol

I have my doubts whether this is really the case. Look again at the b&w photograph, it suggests a rather steep ramp within a short amount of space and that white bottom line in the photograph is also visible in the screencap: http://tos.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x03hd-alt/wherenomanhasgonebeforehdalt0076.jpg

Looking at the video footage the people in the background passing this area get short in a very short amount of time (hence my original theory of stairs). Additionally, the door behind the A-Frame seems to have the same distance to the A-Frame as in the rest of TOS, except that it has 'sunk' into the floor.

Bob

17. blssdwlf

What we see filmed isn't always the same as what we see behind the scenes.

In the behind-the-scenes BW picture, you can see that several "walls" are stacked close to each other and brought very close to the A frame and that they aren't very far down vertically relative to the A frame.

In the filmed corridor, those walls are moved further away and they are significantly further down vertically. Since the doorframes match up at those distances, the ramp is consistent as seen.

18. blssdwlf

Gotcha.

As to the Defiant in "A Mirror Darkly" in this thread I'm treating her as an alternate universe ship and I am not referencing any of her internals. The reasons are:

1. She has "plasma regulators" where in all of TOS and the first 6 movies, "plasma" is never used in connection with any of the ship's systems. Defiant's source universe does not appear to be exactly that of TOS.
    2. The "Enterprise" series chronology is different than TOS chronology. Their continuities are different.
    The "Defiant from the Other Universe" could be an interesting project by itself but I'm not feeling the need to tackle it.

19. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

I'm curious what your reasons are for imagining these sets in the specific places you are imagining them. The episode may well make this quite reasonable but it's been a while since I've watched it and I don't have the time or inclination to do so just now...

--Alex

20. Robert Comsol

@ blssdwlf

Usually I'm no big fan of retcon activity and if you feel implementing sets from ENT into TOS constitutes such retcon activity, I'm the last one to object (although the corridor walls in ENT could simply be replaced with those original TOS energizers / reactors as the production crew and Matt Jefferies would have recycled existing components for new sets). ;)

Where I beg to differ is your criticism of "new" Trek lingo for TOS lingo. I think it's safe to assume that in TOS, too, it's some kind of "plasma" that runs through the tubes to the warp nacelles, though it has not been explicitly mentioned in TOS. With your kind of reasoning, "nuclear fusion" would be a no-no, too, as it had never been mentioned in TOS (but since cracked lithium is a vital component of a nuclear fusion reactor, we can safely assume that Delta Vega mining station produces materials essential for nuclear fusion).

@ Albertese

Sorry, it's a conclusion I arrived after having finshed the engineering deck plans I've been working during the past weeks (I felt compelled to add the ENT sets). I would like to publish these in a separate thread (as recommended by Peter Chung) but I'm not yet allowed to post attachements. I can probably PM them, but of course won't do so uninvited.

The corridor with the horizontal pipes was quite a challenge. According to the location of the Jefferies Tube where Archer and company ascent they would be arriving near the lower starboard plasma conduit of the "cathedral". These four square lights probably belong to the plasma conduit (similar to the square lights on the overhead conduit in the cathedral) and could explain the strange flash effect in "The Paradise Syndrome" (there HAS to be a hidden light source).

Archer's people close in on the Gorn's communicator counter-clockwise while Archer moves further to the stern, hoping the Gorn will retreat clockwise (below and around the cathedral) so he can "receive" him. The two "energizer" corridors are right below and behind the TOS engine room. The two branches of the Y-shaped corridors face aft. Later in that episode the central hub connecting these corridors features the primary electro-plasma relay which, IMHO, connects to the matter-antimatter reaction chamber above in a similar fashion (and design) as the extendable dilithium crystal assembly in the TOS engine room.

As the ENT sets helped me to fill a blank spot in my deck plan drafts, did not contradict anything seen on TOS and featured some design elements very faithful to the original series (energizer walls, EPS relay assembly) I found these to be a most welcome addition to add flavor and diversity to Kirk's television Enterprise.

Bob