Marvel's Ultimate Comics

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by PsychoPere, Jul 24, 2012.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

What about an Ultimate Frightful Four?

See if the Wizard can fill in the vacuum created by the absence of the Fantastic Four?

2. A beaker full of death

A beaker full of death Vice Admiral Admiral

3. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think we all got your point the first time around. Most of us disagreed with it.

4. A beaker full of death

A beaker full of death Vice Admiral Admiral

Well pardon me all to hell.

Guess I'm not allowed to answer, per Adm. Young, so I'll PM you my thoughts. Maybe we can have a discussion. Critical differences of opinion seem to be discouraged on the board.

5. Admiral_Young

What are you wanting to discuss exactly? This isn't really the thread to have the discussion you want to have in it. Perhaps you should create a thread regarding the state of modern comics? I'm sure that would garner interesting discussion. I understand your view point, I simply disagree with it.

6. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

I've now read those first six issues of the new Miles Morales series. Even with Bendis's often-annoying decompressed storytelling style, I thought these early issues moved at a pretty good pace to get Miles to a mental state where he could imagine actually using his powers. I'm pretty happy with what I read, and have already ordered the "premiere edition" hardcover collecting issues seven through twelve.

I also ordered the two Ultimates hardcover volumes and am looking forward to starting that series when they arrive. After Hickman's Fantastic Four, I'm pretty willing to give anything of his a chance. I actually plan on doing just that with some of his other, non-superhero work at some point, like Pax Romana, Nightly News, and his ongoing Manhattan Projects.

Even though opinions on X-Men in this thread have been pretty negative, I picked up its two volumes at my LCS anyways. The political situation in the United States in the Ultimate Universe right now has my curiosity piqued to such a level that I decided I wanted to give those issues a chance, despite the uneven reviews that I've seen and the thoughts here. It helped a bit that one of the employees at the store said he had been enjoying the series, so that pushed my overall impression into a more "mixed" stance than a "don't bother, it's not good" one.

There is, of course, nothing wrong with differences in opinion. You, however, haven't actually articulated a clear opinion in this thread on the state of modern comics, other than some glib "I understood nothing you just said, ergo modern comics suck!" nonsense and a link to other people's rants. Why not try posting your own thoughts?

Last edited: Jul 29, 2012
  7. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

So, I haven't had time yet to get beyond the first two collected volumes of the three series*, bit I found this teaser image to be somewhat intriguing.

Anyone want to take guesses as to what decision Captain America will be making? Many people over at the CBR Forums are speculating that Cap may stage a coup and take control of the country.

(* I enjoyed each, though UC Spider-Man was easily the best of the three. UC Ultimates was a lot of fun, and I liked seeing Kitty Pryde stepping up as a leader in UC X-Men. X-Men is not as good as the other two, though.)

8. Admiral_Young

That's a pretty good guess. The Ultimate Universe is in shambles right now, even in a worse state than it was after the events of Ultimatum (I'm talking about in-universe as well, not real life with sales and etc lol). I believe the Secretary of Energy is the President of the United States (those which have remained in the union anyway). Steve has just returned and been briefed on the global situation. It's either a coup or he will announce that he's running for President. It is said that the announcement will be on the scale of the Death of Peter Parker...

9. Guy Gardener

Ultimate Captain America doesn't have the same decades worth of celebrity as 616 Captain America in the modern world.

10. Admiral_Young

That's very true, but as I mentioned, the US is kind of in a dire situation in the Ultimate Universe at the moment. Steve could feel like only he can inspire people to reunite or that he can take control of the situation. Either way I feel like it is going to be along those lines.

11. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Did you see the most recent recap of his origin where Obama is the present when he comes of the ice?

12. Guy Gardener

A lot doesn't register.

I'm not that bright.

13. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm enjoying the current Ultimates and the way that America is falling to pieces - not because I've anything against America but because for a while the Ultimate line was being a pale copy of the 616 and if you are going to have another Universe you might as well do things a little differently and it's nice to see a world where things don't return to the status quo at the end of a story.

14. Admiral_Young

Anyone get the sense we might be leading towards some kind of Ultimate "Age of Ultron" (even though that won't happen in the Marvel U until October) or Ultimate Age of Apocalypse? Events continue to increase and escalate. It seems Reed's creation of the City was just the tip of the iceberg which has set off a domino effect.

Sam Humphries has done a great job of continuing the tone and epic scale of what Hickman introduced. I'm quite pleasantly surprised by his work.

15. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Ultimate Comics once had Peter Parker and Wolverine switch bodies with Wolverine trying to bed Mary Jane and leering at girls who are really a fraction of his true age. This all happened due to an angst-ridden teenage Jean Gray having a "high flow day" over Wolverine's attitude towards her.

Is there really any defending that?

16. Admiral_Young

The Ultimate Universe has moved way beyond that issue Trekker. Besides which...Ultimate Logan is dead now.

17. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Perhaps, but it's still there. ;)

18. Admiral_Young

Doesn't mean we need to be talking about it now. It's no longer relevant :) Besides which that issue was Bendis...and as we've all seen now, Bendis does not know how to write X-Men.

19. Guy Gardener

Relevant?

They reused that plot on the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon last month.

Wolverine in Spider-Man's body still tried to bag Mary Jane.

I'm really not liking the new guy on Ultimates.

20. Admiral_Young

Yeah...guess who's a producer of "Ultimate Spider-Man" too :)