Star Trek: Starships Model/Magazine Subscription

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by trekker670, May 21, 2013.

1. Omega Particle

Omega Particle Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Same here. I received both models yesterday, but no cube included.

2. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Same here. I received notification of both models, but no cube.

A few minutes ago I received notification that the Klingon D4 Bird-Of-Prey Special would be charged in mid-July

3. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

^^^ Got that one too.

For the ones that got your Malon & E-C, did your shipping notification include the Cube in the list? If it did and didn't get the cube then I would definitely give them a shout. If it wasn't on the shipping list or receipt in the box, then you weren't scheduled to get it yet. It's bigger than anything else they've ever put out, so they may be running to logistical problems.

I'm hoping I'll get it today and let you all know what's been sent.

4. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

So is the reason why everyone continues to giveout about the lack of Cube because it's meant to come with a delivery and you've meant to have received it yet as isn't a free gift.

I've seen it and to be honest, it is a grade a pile of shite and you're not missing out on it.

5. 137th Gebirg

Damn the accuracy man!

It's BIG!!!

And it has LIGHTS!!!

And it has befuddled our feckless Customs droids for months!!!!!!!
    [​IMG]

6. Frontier

Frontier Vice Admiral Admiral

Ships, no cube. E-mail about that FUGLY knock-off nuBird of Prey. I want to opt out of it but I'm scared it'll FUBAR my subscription so I won't. :S

7. mythme

mythme Commodore Commodore

I agree. I detest that BoP. It about the only model I really would like to pass on (I'm not too keen about the armored Voyager either) but I'll get it just for the sake of completeness. I wish the Kelvin came before this one.

8. 137th Gebirg

Curious if all the NuTrek ships are going to be oversized like the Ent and Vengeance...

9. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

^Not sure about oversized, but they will all be specials.

As far as the Into Darkness BOP, that should not have been oversized. It sits off on a different shelf because A) Its too big and B ) Its a shitty design. Well made model, but a shitty generic looking design that'd be more at home in Stargate. Oh, and C) "In universe", its a small ship, almost a shuttlecraft - the fact its the biggest model in the collection in some respect is kinda taking the piss in that regard.

10. trekker670

Yeah, I opted out.

11. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

That's why I don't subsribe; I'm running out of space as it is, nevermind me paying for crap ships I don't even want.

As for the big nuTrek ships, yeah they have to be like that, it's in their license agreement to do them.

12. 137th Gebirg

Got the cube and I honestly don't think it's all that bad. The many photos I've seen, IMO, doesn't do it justice. And it does come with an 8x10 poster with the E-D being pursued by a cube. It's actually quite nice. The only problem I had was that one of the white sheets that are used to cover the inside windows had fallen off its double sided tape. It was an easy fix and it looks perfect. No complaints.

13. t_smitts

t_smitts Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I got paid today, so I decided to stop by the collectible store and pick up another ship. Last time I was in there a couple of weeks ago, I was torn between the Tholian ship and the 22nd century Bird of Prey. I picked the Tholian ship last time, so I went with the BoP this time. In retrospect, I wish I'd gone with the BoP first. The Tholian isn't too bad but I really don't like that seam-line that cuts right across the nose.

The BoP, on the other hand, is REALLY well done, with the cables and texture looking really good. There's a lot of tiny parts, and just as with the Romulan drone, I'm terrified of accidentally snapping something off, but I do enjoy just looking at it in my hands.

It's a bit of an awkward-looking ship since "head" is much bigger, relative to the body and wings, than it is on the 23rd/24th century ship. I'll bet the "head" was actually meant to be the same size as that of one on the later ship, and they just made the rest smaller. This certainly isn't as graceful or as balanced a ship as its descendent, but I'm sure that was the point, in order to make it look more primitive.

I think I'll probably get the Klingon Raptor next. I really like that one too.

Edited to add: I wish the wings on the later BoP had been swept instead of straight (since that's how they were usually featured on DS9), so I'm glad the wings on this one are swept.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2015
  14. mswood

mswood Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Raptor is also an excellent choice, and it rally surprises me that ENT never used this ship again after Sleeping Dogs.

With the exception of the Negh'Var, easily the worst produced ship to date, the Klingon ships have been very well crafted. And almost anything from Enterprise has also been very well crafted, though not surprising as those models most likely were the most detailed thinks to the increase in renders used in ENT versus earlier CGI ships.

15. t_smitts

t_smitts Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I myself have been puzzled as to why the Raptor was never reused. They could've used it for the tanker in "Mauraders", as Duras' ship in "The Expanse", or as the Klingon Augments' ship in "Affliction", yet each time, they instead built a new ship from scratch.

That's not so say that I'm complaining about having more Klingon designs. It's just puzzling why they never reused it. They also could've reused it as the Bortas in "Judgment", as the ship Malik stole in the Soong trilogy, or as part of Krell's fleet in "Divergence".

It was a really nice design that, while not immediately recognizable as Klingon (which was a necessarily plot point for "Sleeping Dogs"), is still believable as such, once you know that.

Edited to add: I really hope we get the D5 too. We're so close to being able to say they've covered EVERY Klingon ship.

16. mindx2

mindx2 Commander Red Shirt

Received the Borg Cube today along with the Enterprise B and 22nd century Raptor. I was surprised to get the cube and as has been said by others it's.... meh. Biggest complaint I have is there is no stand so it doesn't display well at all. The green "glow" is also weak considering it takes 4 AA batteries.

However, the Enterprise B is quite nice if still a little small compared to most of the other models. The Raptor is one of my least favorite of all the models I've received so far. It just doesn't have much detail to it.

There are no more "free" gifts for subscribers after the cube, correct?

17. CommodoreKong

CommodoreKong Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm guessing that all the NuTrek ship will be oversized, they probably have to pay extra to license the NuTrek ships and Eaglemoss is making them larger so they can charge more for them to make up the cost of the extra licensing fees.

18. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

This already got answered ages ago.

19. Eliczo

Eliczo Lieutenant Red Shirt

Recently got issues 50 & 51. both were damaged. The 1701 had a crack where the right warp nacelle connects to the pylon and the Hirogen ship had a small attached gun turret that broke off. Eaglemoss was kind to agree to send me new ones, good service.

20. trekker670

I opted out of the D4 last week via email and received the following response: