TOS's largest one time prop.

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by T'Girl, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

For all we know, that part of the ship always was configured like that. But it would be extremely rarely that the mechanical floors and walls would actually be rolled out of the way; rigging the ship for her first-ever mission might be an exceptional occasion.

Speaking of that one, some of the cargo containers appear to be props. Were these reused for making Khan's hut, or were those (possibly slightly larger) elements all-new?

Timo Saloniemi

2. Tim Walker

Tim Walker Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The minimalism actually helped create the surreal atmosphere in "Spectre." Even being filmed on what was obviously a set helped to create that surreal atmosphere. This episode was a case of turning a vice into a virtue, with creativity rather than money resulting in a superior product.

3. Marsden

Marsden Commodore Commodore

What about Lazarus' ship? That would be a prop, right?

I know they used the removable dome for the Providers home, but what about the rest of it? I don't recall it being reused.

Also, where did they acquire it? I got the feeling it was a preexisting prop and not built for the episode, but I don't know.

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I'm not sure. A prop is an item that's handled or interacted with by an actor without being an actual part of the set (for instance, a door an actor walks through is not a prop). I think Lazarus's ship probably counted as a part of the set, i.e. a set piece, rather than a prop. The Preserver obelisk was definitely a set piece.

5. Timo

...But NOMAD would be a prop? After the shuttle and the realmship, it was probably the biggest object handled by our heroes that wasn't just furniture or something mundane and show-unspecific like a medieval hand cart or a 20th century automobile.

(Was, say, R2D2 or a Dalek a prop, a costume, or something else?)

Timo Saloniemi

6. LMFAOschwarz

LMFAOschwarz Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I too am unsure of the definition of prop. Wouldn't it depend on the episode and its function? The transporter console is a set piece...but when someone uses it and touches it, does it become a prop? :shrug:

Offhand I'd say the crate Simon Van Gelder stowed away in in Dagger of the Mind might be the biggest prop...if indeed it is a prop at all!

7. Christopher

Actually, since it had lights and moving parts and such, I think it would be a special effect. That is, it would be the responsibility of the special effects department (Jim Rugg), while a communicator, say, would be the responsibility of the props department (Irving Feinberg). Keeping in mind that the term "special effects" refers to live stage effects such as pyrotechnics, wire work, smoke, etc., as opposed to "special visual effects" for photographic/optical effects like phaser beams, transporters, starship shots, etc.

Although I could be wrong. I'm thinking of the company called Modern Props that rents lots of sci-fi background equipment, including a lot of the consoles and devices and such seen in The Wrath of Khan and Airplane II (including the blinky-light thing that William Shatner ranted about in the latter). Those pieces of equipment would technically be set dressing, but the company is called Modern Props. So maybe it does depend on whether the item is interacted with or not.

Yeah, that'd be a prop.

8. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What is "the realmship"? I thought I'd seen every episode of TOS innumerable times.

9. LMFAOschwarz

Guess you didn't, Zap! That one is a classic, too! :techman:

You might have thought it was The Alternative Factor at first, and switched channels. Boy, did you miss out. :lol:

10. Christopher

Nomad would be a special effect.

11. LMFAOschwarz

Which would fall under Jim Rugg's umbrella, right?

12. Timo

...I just feel Lazarus' little UFO wouldn't do much good as a "spaceship", considering it's not pressurized (*), and there's no evidence it does, say, time travel. Quite possibly, it's just a teleporter for going from universe to universe, perhaps with some rudimentary automotive capabilities.

Timo Saloniemi

* Sure, it could be pressurized with forcefields - but then why is that physical dome there? Unless we're talking advanced materials tech, and the dome can seamlessly extend to cover the holes, but doesn't completely disappear even when the realmship loses all power.

13. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

14. Timo

Cool! Although a ship that moves between universes might also be capable of leaving segments of itself in one while moving to another, for maintenance purposes. ;)

Or perhaps the part with the fin is the bow, the chair swivels to that direction for flight, and the rear sprouts a propulsive forcefield bubble similar to the Tarellian plague ship's engine?

Timo Saloniemi