Wachowskis in the Running to Direct Justice League Movie

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, Aug 27, 2012.

1. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=94060&offset=10

I don't think they really had a great movie outside the first Matrix, but as long as they don't write The Justice League movie and let someone else do that, it might be fine.

2. Yminale

Yminale Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Whoa! Maybe Cloud Atlas is really good (the book is fantastic) and V for Vendetta was decent for an Alan Moore adaption.

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I don't want to see a super-stylized Justice League movie. I think the best way to deal with something as fanciful as superheroes is to keep it naturalistic and grounded in style, the better to promote suspension of disbelief.

Also, admittedly I haven't seen anything from the Wachowskis besides the Matrix trilogy, but the latter two movies of that series showed a tendency on their part to go overboard with the action scenes, and that's a temptation it would be easy to succumb to in a superhero team movie. What you want is a director who, like Whedon, can handle action effectively but never loses sight of the characters at the core of the story.

4. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Once upon a time, this would have excited me, but that was before I saw the mess that the Matrix sequels were, particularly Revolutions. Sure, they can handle an action sequence but they seem to have lost the plot (literally) in terms of how to write.

Christopher, you should check out their first movie, Bound, with Gina Gershon & Jennifer Tilly. It's an excellent noir-ish thriller, no sci-fi elements. Great plot and intrigue (and Gina, nomnomnom).

I'd really like to see Brad Bird make this movie (I've shamelessly stolen this idea from Jackson Archer).

5. AvBaur

AvBaur Captain Captain

While the Matrix sequels were rather dreadful, I liked pretty much all their other movies. Speed Racer especially is very underrated imho. They definitely have an eye for spectacular visuals. If they have a good screenplay to work with, I'm sure they could make a very cool JLA movie.

6. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

7. Maab of the Ten Tribes

Maab of the Ten Tribes Captain Captain

They better start offering Nolan stupid money to get in on this. I think he's said he wouldn't be involved but still like I said, throw a ridiculous amount at him and get his ass involved somehow someway. This movie will probably make or break DC's superhero's movie franchise for the foreseeable future.

8. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

No, I like Nolan and his work but it would be nice to see a DC movie without his influences on it.

9. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

Not crazy on the idea. Neither was I about Synder doing because they seem to be directors that are about style over substance. If they could keep things nailed down to reality more then maybe yeah.

10. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

You on his FB page also? That's where I saw him post it.

11. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

Dear God, no!

12. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

Watch Superman Returns.

13. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

That is a guy doing a knock-off of an old movie, not a great example of someone bring something new to the table.

14. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

oooo. I like that. I like that a LOT.

Agreed. I like variety in tone and style. There are other directors out there who can do that job. (Not Martin Campbell) But there ARE other directors out there...

15. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

Green Lantern, then?

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I like all three of the Matrix movies, and I think I liked V for Vendetta, I haven't seen it in years and don't remember it very well, but I just don't see the Wachowskis as being the right fit for JL.

17. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

We are talking about GOOD movies to watch, right?

18. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

I don't know, I think the Wachowskis could do the Justice League movie... ummm... justice. They have comic writing and graphic novel movie experience and understand the genre. The Neo/Smith fight in Revolutions was essentially a Superman vs an equally powerful being fight with massive side effects. They wrote a modern day Robin Hood script called Hood, so they're already ahead of the game with Green Arrow. V for Vendetta had some elements of Green Arrow and Batman.

I don't think they're stuck doing Bullet Time and the more stylistic stuff just because they did it in The Matrix and Vendetta. Cloud Atlas didn't seem to have any of that in the long preview trailer, despite the fantastical setting.

19. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

No, just DC movies without Christopher Nolan's influence.

And when there's only two that feature JL characters from the last decade to watch, and they both kinda suck, that should say something about how WB ought to get Nolan involved with Justice League.

20. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

The Neo/Smith fight was extremely over the top and boring.