What games are you playing currently?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by charlhussey, Apr 29, 2010.

1. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

The Uncharted Series is so much fun.

Lately I've been contemplating going back and re-playing Arkham City. Still need to finish Assassin's Creed III, though. That game just gives me no incentive to keep playing. The story is so boring!

2. Bishop76

Bishop76 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Overall I thought AC3 was a fine game - about a 7 out of 10 - but the part that I absolutely loved and kept bringing me back were the naval battles. I want more!

3. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I play games for the stories. AC3 has fine gameplay, but I just don't care at all about Connor or the American Revolution, so it makes it very difficult for me to get into it. I'm almost at the end of the story, and part of me just wants to power through so I can be done with it, but I just can't find the motivation.

4. Magellan

Magellan Commander Red Shirt

Currently playing now Batman Arkham City and Civilization V Gods and Kings

Arkham city seems ok so far but just not as engaged as Asylum. I'm not sure the open world part of it is working for me. Seems like I just have to travel a lot between story points all while being bugged by annoying side quests. Also finding puzzles that CANT be solved without certain equipment that I dont have yet, that also kill me and give no indication that they are currently unsolvable is kinda irritatiing.

Gods and Kings is pretty good but religion seems way over powered. I dont remember ever being able to win this easily on King mode. Im just not that great a Civ player but it seems the only way the computer wins is by avoiding direct competition by being on another continent or something.

5. Mr Silver

Mr Silver Commodore Newbie

Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions (the PSP remake)

My goodness, what an addictive game, I absolutely can't get enough of playing it, even if the cure spamming Chocobo enemies drive me mad!

6. Garrett

Garrett Vice Admiral Admiral

Haven't posted here in awhile. I got swamped with work a few months back and pretty much stopped gaming until things got a lot less crazy. I've been on a gaming binge since then. I got my guardian to level 80 in GW2, and spent a lot of time in WvWvW. Our server moved up to tier 2, but I haven't been on there since then to see how it is. It's looks like it's going to be a bit more competitive than tier 3 was.

Other than that, I've been adding to my Steam collection more than I've been getting through games. I moved my PC next to my tv so I can toggle back and forth between the monitor and my tv for Big Picture mode. So far, I've worked through:

-Dishonored. Did a high chaos playthrough. This is easily one of my favorites in the last couple of years for single player games. This really hit all the right notes for me in terms of play, setting, and tone. I'm planning on doing a low chaos run later on after I get through some more games.

-Ghost Recon: Future Soldier. I finished this one more of obligation for spending the money on it than enjoyment. It does get better later on when things aren't quite as heavily controlled. That still ends up being only a small part of the time. The first Ghost Recon was one of my all time favorites. I dumped a lot of time into that game. Future Soldier was the final straw for me in modern military shooters/COD clones. Meh.

-Darksiders. I quite during the final dungeon. I might go back and finish it or just watch the last few cutscenes on youtube. The main character and story didn't do much for me, but I did like the setting. The Zelda meets God of War gameplay worked pretty well. Introducing portals into it was where it felt like fanboys shoving too much of their favorite things into a game. I did fire up Darksiders 2 and played it for a few minutes. Looks like they may have exchanged Zelda for Diablo? Anyway, I'll get back to it at some point.

Right now I'm playing through Spec Ops: The Line. I just bought Assassin's Creed 3, so I'm not sure if I want to re-play 2 on the PC or just jump straight into Brotherhood. I loved 2, but it's a bit long to rush through. I've only played some multiplayer and a few minutes of the single player.

7. Davros

Davros Fleet Admiral Admiral

We played a very successful game of Arkham Horror Monday night.

8. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

I just finished Final Fantasy VI (SuperNES version).

Now I'm working my way through Final Fantasy XIII for the first time. And I'm loving every minute of it. Sure it's a bit more streamlined than the earlier titles I grew up on, but the story is very captivating, and I do believe Lightning is my favorite FF heroine so far (sorry Terra).

9. BigFoot

BigFoot Admiral Admiral

^ Yeah I also really liked Lightning which is why I'm really looking forward to FFXIII-3.

10. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

I'm not really into the direct FF sequels, though with saying that, I am kind of interested in Final Fantasy IV: The After Years.

I'll be too busy with Final Fantasy V Advance anyways, I'm trying not to stack too many games on top of each other. I think two Final Fantasy's is enough to work through right now :)

11. LitmusDragon

LitmusDragon Commodore Commodore

Warlock: Master of the Arcane. It's a turn based strategy game similar to Civ, except with more of a focus on military combat and spell casting. It's a lot of fun.

I have not played Civ V yet but I plan to give it a try this weekend.

By the way, here's a killer deal if you have not purchased Civ V or Stronghold or Civ IV or well, a bunch of other 2K stuff yet:
    http://www.amazon.com/2K-Strategy-S...=UTF8&qid=1356718353&sr=1-3&keywords=2k+games

12. BigFoot

BigFoot Admiral Admiral

I started playing Gravity Rush yesterday... it's a fun game.

13. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I'm about to start XCom. Still playing Growlanser IV and Last Story but getting a little tired of those.

I'm also getting to a point where it's like, I'm 29. I first got an NES when I was 6. I've played so many great games. I want to keep up with all the new games, but why play every new game that comes out that might be good when I have a choice between all my all time favorites all the time?

It's so hard to find new games. In the last few years, the only really great new games I've played are Mass Effect, Catherine, and Arkham City. And yeah, a few very good ones too, like Growlanser IV, Last Story, Tales of Graces, etc. But those are games I play for 1 1/2 hours then have to put down, and I have a few dozen games I can play for hours on end and have to force myself to put down.

How do you find those rare great games without wading through a sea of the 'okay' and 'pretty good'?

14. Garrett

Garrett Vice Admiral Admiral

I was going to starts Assassin's Creed 2 on the PC to see if I wanted to play through it again before heading into Brotherhood and ended up playing through the whole thing again minus most of the side missions and the feathers. I've heard folks say it doesn't have much replay value, but I loved it almost as much on the second playthrough as the first.

After that, I rushed through Brotherhood. I have to say I didn't enjoy it as much as I was hoping. A lot of the game felt tacked on like the DLC for AC 2 instead of a full new experience. There almost seemed to be daunting amount of side tasks and collections for my taste and not enough story. The story did seem to come together more after the fourth dna sequence. Before that the majority of the missions felt like they were more tutorials for side missions and mini games than anything.

I ended up running into a glitch in sequence 9 where a cutscene wouldn't load for me. I tried reloading it a few times, and checking cache in Steam. Still couldn't get it to load. I ended up watching the rest of the game on You tube so I could move on to the next game.

The Desmond story was probably my favorite thing about Brotherhood. I didn't find Ezio's story in Rome to be anywhere near as interesting as his story in the second game.

I'm on Revelations now, and enjoying it a bit more than Brotherhood, so far. I'm in DNA sequence 2 still. I'm debating rushing through this one, but then I'm hearing a lot of mixed reactions to III. So, maybe there's no hurry.

15. TrekNut87

TrekNut87 Captain Captain

Put PSABR/inFAMOUS aside for a bit to focus on other games. Still working through BoiShock and just picked up Syndicate the other day and really like it so far.

16. BigFoot

BigFoot Admiral Admiral

I started playing Spec Ops: The Line today... awesome game so far (I just finished chapter 6). For some reason I didn't know it was a third person shooter.

17. TrekNut87

TrekNut87 Captain Captain

I love this game to pieces! I'm pretty close to finishing, but I've put it aside for now. I have to say, I've never had more fun with a TPS than I have with Spec Ops. Great game.

18. BigFoot

BigFoot Admiral Admiral

I definitely prefer TPSs to FPSs. And while I still prefer Uncharted, I do also really like Spec Ops. The fact that Nolan North is the lead in both games doesn't hurt. ;)

I just finished chapter 7... I'll probably be done tomorrow.

19. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Taking advantage of Gog's holiday sale I picked up Icewind Dale for 50% off. I've never been able to get into WRPGs, but I keep giving them second chances because I absolutely love the concept of the genre. My most recent attempt was The Witcher, but that didn't go too well. Hopefully Icewind Dale will be more to my tastes.

20. BigFoot

BigFoot Admiral Admiral

Well I finished Spec Ops earlier today... what a mindfuck.