common misconceptions about Voyager

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by KaraBear, Aug 15, 2013.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Don't be so tunnel visioned.

They can't reference earlier episodes if the producers refuse to admit that earlier episodes exist.

2. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

There is more to serilisation and continuity than mere character development. And some characters had more development than others. I think O'Brien as a recurring character on TNG had more development than some of the VOY main.

If you state in dialouge things like

"We Only have 38 torpedeos and no way to replace them"
    "The holdocek power system is incompatable with the rest of the ship"

And then totally ignore it later than you have a failure of continuity unless you say in dialouge how you managed to overcome that problem or at very least show visually

If your character is we must uphold the PD one week, and screw it the following and back to we must uphold it the next then you have poor characterisation. Pick one and run with it. Some might not like which one you pick but be consistant or at least show a change in view over time.

If you say several times you are resource limited yet seemingly have endless supplies don't blame the audiance for critising you for you lack of continuity. If you managed to allievate it show or tell us how.

It's writing 101.

That isn't to say there was a total lack of continuity just that there should have been far more. The premise clearly indicated a more serialised show than the more episodic show we got.

We should have gotten to know more of the crew given that they were only 140, no wait 142, no wait 149 or was it 141 crew members. They couldn't even keep track of how many crew the ship had as it seemed to fluctate from one episode to the next whenever it was mentioned espite no replacement and/or deaths. That should never happen.

Did VOY have some great episode yes of course it did, and Robert Picardo as the EMH was one of the best things about the show.

3. Yanks

Yanks Commodore Commodore

The Maquis' beef wasn't with Star Fleet, it was with the Federation.

4. Yanks

Don't agree here teacake.

She had no choice but to serve both Tuvok and Neelix.

They were joined by a fluke of science/nature.

She would be neglecting 2 of her crew members and her closest friend by allowing Tuvix to exist.

Tuvix even knew this.

5. Yanks

http://www.chakoteya.net/Voyager/LineCountS4-S7.htm

6. Yanks

Scorpius did rock, but Sandoval ended up being a joke.

What exactly did you expect from Voyager? They were in the frakin Delta Quadrant. I was surprised they didn't run into them the first 3 years of the show.

They should have been a constant nemesis for Voyager.

I don't think they were over used. I think many folks feel that way because of Seven. But the fact is, Jeri was a great actress and the writers took the opportunity to write for a great character.

Good for them, better than more "Harry" episodes.

7. Guy Gardener

Liar.

The only thing he knew was that if he ran that Janeway would hunt him forever and ever and ever. Which is why they found him foetal and crying when he should have been running.

In truth, outside of the story, they didn't have time for an extra act, to have a shuttle chase, or a "6 months" later followed by a Zero Dark 30 like encounter where Paris and Kim shoot through Tuvixs wive's in some frontier hut to bring him back and cut the bugger in half.

I wonder what King Solomon's take on this would have been?

8. Guy Gardener

It took them two years to exit Kazon "related" space.

Almost everyone else was breezed by in a week.

Internal conflict would have been easy.

Seska didn't leave, or came back.

Some one was Section 31.

The Equinox 5 had trouble assimilating.

Or my personal favourite: Civilian elections.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  9. Yanks

TUVIX: Are you saying I'm going to be this way forever?

Clearly here he doesn't want to "stay this way"

JANEWAY: Aren't there two other lives to consider here? What about Tuvok and Neelix? Two voices that we can't hear right now. As Captain, I must be their voice, and I believe they would want to live.

She's 100% correct here.

Then Tuvix tries to play the group guilt trip crap...

TUVIX: I think we all should hear what you have to say.

He knew it wasn't right to remain Tuvix as long as there was a procedure that would be successful restoring Tuvok and Neelix.

A part of me, at this point in the series, wanted the splitting to fail. Tuvok was OK and Neelix ended up like the transporter accident in TMP.

But at the end we get to here this...

NEELIX: Hello, sweeting.

Oh well, a lost opportunity.

"Liar"???

10. Guy Gardener

Yup.

The nature of this problem is that there is no absolutely virtuous answer.

You can say that it's better or the best thing to bring the other two back, but it's still horrible and murder.

Only crazy Supervillains believe in absolutes.

I can make a convincing argument for both sides.

If you can't make a convincing argument for a point of view you don't agree with, then you are you are quite possibly a crazy super villain or not in control of the complete facts.

(Sweeting? HA! I too make that typo all the time.)

11. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

What would a Section 31 crewperson DO on Voyager? How would this be interesting since there was no one for them to take orders from.. okay once they were in touch again this could have been a whole subversive plot because the sleeper agent was given orders.

12. Yanks

You can make a convincing argument for both sides but choose the wrong one.

I can make an argument for Tuvix, but it's the wrong one. There are two murders that need righted.

Tuvix loses.

It's not a typo, it's quote from the transcript.

13. Guy Gardener

You remember there a was a novel about a section 31 Agent on Voyager?

In Prime Factors the entire crew conspired to make Janeways life easier by being the two timing criminals she couldn't.

Section 31 are not bad guys.

They just do horrible things to enemies of the Federation.

14. Yanks

I wish the Kazon would have been breezed by in a week. The worst "villians" in all of trek.

The only redeeming Kazon was Nog.

Seska was frellin great.

No idea what you are talking about with the rest of your post.

15. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

OH YEAH, I read that novel. I own that novel. I remember nothing about it.

Out of all the Trek handwringing over lost potential the only thing that still bothers me is they should have made Reed a WILLING Section 31 agent. Not a reformed one. I think they piked out because they had to see Section 31 as villains.

16. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Who murdered Neelix and Tuvok again? An accident happened. Tragic as that may be, no one should be at fault for that. The only murder in that episode was done by Janeway. There is no moral justification to take an innocent person's life against his will. Janeway decided she liked Tuvok(and maybe Neelix) more and that was the only reason, otherwise Kes's crying wouldn't have been what made her make the choice. You can argue Tuvix was a coward for not falling on his sword, but last I checked cowardice isn't a capital crime.

Gone is the Janeway that was appalled at the suggestion of executing Suder for murder or that wouldn't even kill a Viidian who stole Neelix's lungs and left him for dead.

17. Captain Kathryn

Captain Kathryn Commodore Commodore

Dang...Tuvix again? :eek:

We need a Tuvix emoticon for this board.

18. Guy Gardener

Meh.

Tuvix couldn't stop Janeway. Max Burke would have killed the bridge crew and then kept killing off the remaining lower deck crewmen until the survivors got in line, but that's because one is a bastard, and the other is basically a decent guy in a tough situation.

Tuvix says that he is being murdered and that it is wrong and begs his friends to stop his murder... And even after they stfu and participate in his murder by silently allowing it to continue, just like Jesus he forgives them.

Just like Jesus.

You don't hate little baby Jesus do you?

Becuase little baby Jesus loves you and so does Tuvix.

From the first principle, you didn't ask me to argue that what happened to Tuvix was right or wrong, but if Tuvix accepted that he deserved to be Murdered by Janeway, which he clearly didn't in the end before she executed him.

The lad had class.

19. Yanks

Nah, you complete shrug off the Tuvok & Neelix DEATHS.

Wasn't Kirk put back together again? What about those "two"?

You all just want to call Janeway a murderer.

Good thing it wasn't Guystar :lol:

20. Yanks

He forgave them because he knew they & Janeway were right.