Favorite non-canon ship

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by E-DUB, Mar 9, 2014.

1. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Mario - some would argue that it's a canon model display, nothing more. YMMV and for me that's far too simplistic an explanation for anything Star Trek! ;)

For myself, I'm content to sit back admire Tobias Richter's beautiful work :drool:

2. Mario de Monti

Mario de Monti Captain Captain

After glancing over the two threads Bob pointed out (thanks, Bob) you´re probably right on both points. And I guess I just leave it at that, lest this thread also gets closed ...

I heartily agree with that :techman::techman:

3. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

You heard of the proverb "the third time is a charm"? ;)
    The vocal opponents had severe issues with a possible "canon" status of the Probert design, so this "non-canon" thread title should adequately appease them, I think.

Finally something perhaps "everyone" can agree to? :)

Bob

4. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I think you're overstating it a bit, but whatever. I just get tired of having to just skip over your posts because you invariably cry about those threads.

There's a saying that's apt here: "let it go". You have your own view of the Trek universe and that's great (we all do), but you seem to take it as an insult that we all don't bow down to your interpretations.

5. Mario de Monti

Well according to what I read in those other threads, no one seemed to find Bob presenting a new take on things "great" but they ridiculed him and dismissed his interpretations without being open to new possibilities or at least asking any constructive questions.

It´s more like people seemed to take it as an insult that he doesn´t bow down to the "established facts" of Trekdom, but presented an alternative interpretation instead.

Mario

PS: We should be stopping to derail this thread!

6. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Probert's version of the Enterprise-C is certainly the more elegant, but the version shown in "Yesterday's Enterprise" is by definition the canonical version of the ship.

I suppose my favorite non-canon ship is the Phase II Enterprise designed by Matt Jefferies.

7. Mario de Monti

Good call, I love that design as well. It has some very interesting design elements and a great overall look.

8. Robert Comsol

Provided that screenplay writer and director of the episode did not relocate events from a changed time line (of our universe) into a parallel universe with "Redemption II", I'd agree.

Bob

9. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

10. BK613

BK613 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Chris Madden's Dedication class

11. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Phase 2 Enterprise's pylons always looked incomplete to me, in that the lines suddenly took a 45 degree turn up near the nacelles.

Other than that, it represented a far more believable "upgrade" to the original TOS-E

12. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

For me, it'd be the Archer-class scout from the Vanguard novels. Plucky little ship.

13. Mario de Monti

See, that´s one of the small details I really do like :)

I´m a bit torn actually. The Phase-II-E is a lot closer designwise to the TOS-E than the TMP-E is, of course. In-universe, we don´t know what kind of refits or upgrades are normal in the 23rd century. But when I compare it to real ships, there have been a number of pre-WWI battleships for instance, that have been rebuilt und upgraded to such a degree that they looked like completely different ships in the end.

So I can easily live with Andrew Probert´s beautiful design for the TMP-E :)

Mario

14. Robert Comsol

Here is another shot of my favorite TNG NCC (Non Canon Craft), this time with a starfield background, I'm really excited:

[​IMG]

Trek BBS source: http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?p=9463597#post9463597

Now, with the starfield background I'm starting to wonder when to realistically expect one of those Romulan warbirds near Narendra III to uncloak and open fire.

Which brings up an interesting question, I think: Did these Romulan warbirds look like the ones first encountered 20 years later in "The Neutral Zone" or did the Romulan warbirds of 2344 look differently / non-canon?

Bob

15. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The 90s computer game Star Trek: New Worlds had a design for a TMP-era Romulan warbird in it's intro video (the Melak), though I think it looks more appropriate for the 24th century rather than the 23rd. I could easily see a couple of these slugging it out with the Ent-C.

[​IMG]

16. Mario de Monti

@ Bob:

Another amazing picture of a beautiful design, thanks :techman: BTW, good thing we finally know what "NCC" stands for :lol:

Mario

17. Robert Comsol

@ Mario de Monti

You are welcome. Yes, "deciphering" these acronyms can be fun some times. ;)

@ Herkimer Jetty

Cool! I'd also think this warbird variation to be closer to the 24th than he 23rd Century. The one thing I can't wrap my head around is the head section.

It looks more like a helmet than the head of a bird, but it surely is a very interesting variation of the Probert design (maybe I'm influenced by retroactive nuBSG thinking where Cylon helmets had become the bow of Cylon vessels).

Bob

18. Mario de Monti

THAT´S why it looks so familiar!!!

19. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

That looks pretty cool.

I remember one TOS (actually I think it was movie era - it was in an alternate timeline which took place concurrently with ST VI) which featured what looked like a TNG-era Warbird, but with the head and neck of a K't'inga awkwardly stuck onto it. One of the ugliest Romulan ships I'd ever seen. Thank God it was just an alt-timeline.

20. varek

varek Commander Red Shirt

I like the USS Aventine, a Vesta-class ship.