Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Obiwanshinobi, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Fathers are an important factor in the film. Makes for a good Father's Day film.

2. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

I agree with the latter point whole-heartedly (and I say this as a very long-time comics fan and reader). That said, Goyer's suggestion does echo one of the "explanations" for the emergence of heroes--inspiration by Superman--found in some version of continuity I recall.

In any case, I'm looking forward to catching MOS soon and look forward to whatever else Goyer et al. have in store.

3. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

I think I want a Bale/Cavill movie more than a strait up JLA thing, at least for now.

I know it's probably wishful thinking since the would-be Batman is probably going to get re-cast with a soft reboot, but I think the two would be fun together. You could leave the other JLAers to the periphery to set up a true JLA film.

4. Bad Bishop

Bad Bishop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I hope you're wrong. There's no reason just yet to dump Ryan Reynolds/Hal Jordan.

5. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd love to see him in a Justice League movie too (to me GL was just as ridiculously underrated as MOS is now), but considering the huge stink that movie's got on it, there's no way Warners would want him anywhere near it unfortunately.

6. davejames

Actually I'd go further and just make it a team-up movie with Superman and Wonder Woman, or Batman and whomever. It would still be cool as hell to watch, it would probably be a lot less risky for Warners, and it would be them doing their own thing instead of just copying Marvel (a move which hardly ever turns out well).

7. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

GL is likely to be Jordan again, but Reynolds has indicated a less-than-keen interest in doing the character again. That's just being smart, at this point. So, recast.

8. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

He could have been Superman in the 1970s, if they hadn't found Chris Reeve. Actually, 70s-era Burt could well have made a good smart ass playboy Tony Stark, had they made an IM movie then.

ps - awesome find Set Harth!

Yeah, I'd like to see someone in the mould of Daniel Benzali or the late Lawrence Tierney as Lex. But as Buzzkill says, it's finding someone who plays the role best that counts.

9. Admiral Buzzkill

I dunno if this has been brought up as certain before, but Goyer confirms in an interview with one of the pointlessly-pseudonymous AICN crew that the Lee costume redesign for Supes in the comics was based in knowledge of the MOS costume.

10. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

The full actuals aren't out yet, but the revised number for Man of Steel is currently $116.7 million for the 3-day opening and $128.7 million with the Walmart previews. Sunday held up so well that it was almost exactly flat with Saturday.

11. davejames

I frankly wish DC would base a lot more of the comics off the movie. The way MOS reimagined things as far as the origin, secret identity, and relationship with Lois feels much fresher and more interesting than what the "New 52" tried to do.

Not to mention that the MOS version of the character feels a whole lot more like Superman than... whatever it was they came up with.

12. Admiral Buzzkill

Yes, I certainly hope that this movie is a narrative shot-in-the-arm to the comic book continuity and characterizations. I've generally liked the New 52 take on Supes, but it bogs down in a lot of areas. It's not important that the relationships mimic those in the movie, but they'd to well to draw from the overall tone and scope of the movie.

13. davejames

Although I'd still keep the New 52 costume. I'm not sure the MOS version (as much as I freakin love it) would really translate as well to the comics.

14. Admiral Buzzkill

They're similar enough that no real adjustment is necessary.

Who knows, maybe they'll mess with the shield a bit.

15. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

Weekend actuals: $116,619,362 for the 3-day opening and $128,681,486 since Thursday night.

That's a new June record, the 15th biggest 3-day opening ever, and the second biggest 3-day opening for a non-sequel ever (if The Avengers is termed a sequel).

The weekend breakdown:

Friday - $44,013,367
    Saturday - $36,315,318
    Sunday - $36,290,677

The inflated business on Father's Day usually keeps the Sunday drop to about 10%, so staying almost exactly flat with Saturday is a great hold.

16. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Greg Cox's novelization has started to ship! At least with Amazon Canada. It'll be here tomorrow sometime. Also pre-ordered Daniel Wallace's Man of Steel: Inside the Legendary World of Superman behind the scenes reference book which should ship tomorrow as well.

17. Admiral Buzzkill

So, on to Whatever-They-Call-The-Second-Superman-Film.

Probably Man Of Steel Something-Or-Other; Nolan shed "Batman" after the first of those movies but they've already done away with Superman so no problemo.

18. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Man of Steel, Woman of kleenex?

19. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

Man of Tomorrow?

20. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Thanks for the plug. The book officially goes on sale tomorrow!