Official New Star Trek 2012 Game for the PC, PS3 & X360

Discussion in 'Trek Gaming' started by 22 Stars, Nov 17, 2011.

1. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I was really surprised to see at least two different commercials for this game during Toonami this morning.

2. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Okay thanks.

3. General_Phoenix

General_Phoenix Captain Captain

I think I would have preferred the game to be first person, somehow I think the game might be a bit more immersive that way. Plus I prefer to do my shooting in a first person view anyway, would have been nice to have the option, especially near the end where you have to use that crossbow style weapon. Only thing the 3rd person view would be good for (IMO) is the platform type jumping.

4. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If so, the comic comes before the game. The comic starts with the ship on a routine mission to Phaedus, and with the ship in pristine condition; the game ends with the ship shot to pieces, so it's likely not before the comic.

The game, meanwhile, starts with the Enterprise diverted by an emergency signal; it's plausible that the comics sends them to Nibiru but they divert for the game's events.)

Of course, if the ship isn't damaged at the start of the movie, that would lean towards the game not "happening" at all...

5. acappellasaurus

acappellasaurus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

@ATimson - regarding your last sentence in your spoiler code, from your lips to the Great Bird's ears.

6. HOoftheKinshaya

HOoftheKinshaya Lieutenant Red Shirt

They did such a horrible job with the Gorn and their canonical history, I hope they eventually cut loose the concept that this canon.

The hole Spock/Nero time paradox doesn't suddenly make a race that was established as part of our galaxy, shunted off to another and whose motivations at Cestus III were because of a certain territorial xenophobia into a species bent on galactic conquest.

Wasn't a major part of the movie plot was that is was the prime universe with no change until the space/time disturbance that brought Nero's ship into the past. I am sure the Gorn were doing there thing in the Alpha Quadrant somewhere near Cestus III just as they were before.

Of course the design and look were completely off except for the Gorn Champion. One of the major themes of the Kirk/Gorn fight in Arena was that even though the Gorn was ludicrously strong and durable, he wasn't agile and was slow allowing Kirk to stay on the run.

7. Hartzilla2007

Or Kirk just stopped off for repairs as I doubt Commodore Dumbass's starbase is the only one out there it was just the closest.

8. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It does now.

9. HOoftheKinshaya

Too bad, not surprising the game is being reviewed the way it is. I think fans would have accepted the lackluster graphics and clunky/buggy gameplay if they had at least gotten the Trek part of the game right.

10. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think that the game is more interested in appealing to the mass market - just like the movies are - in which case, getting the graphics and gameplay up to modern standards is arguably more important than continuity with "Arena" (even if it couldn't be worked around)...

11. General_Phoenix

General_Phoenix Captain Captain

But aren't video games ranked last in terms of canon? That's how it's always been in the Star Wars canon, not sure how things rank in Star Trek canon.

12. Lt. Cheka Wey

Lt. Cheka Wey Commander

Like i said, it's a Mirror Universe.

13. HOoftheKinshaya

The producers of the game have been saying in numerous interviews the game is canon just like the movies.

14. HOoftheKinshaya

More like a different universe and their is no real mirroring, since these "Gorn" aren't even part of the Milky Way Galaxy.

15. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Like I said in another thread, there's nothing in this game that can't be worked around.

16. Lt. Cheka Wey

Lt. Cheka Wey Commander

i just found out that my computer almost can handle the game. Too bad i cannot play it.

17. HOoftheKinshaya

Why should you have to jump through mental hoops to work around poor writing or creating? Certainly 60 dollars was to much for the effort.

One of the signs of great fantasy or fiction, especially in a uniquely created setting, lets use Middle Earth, is that their is great continuity and consistency. It allows and enhances immersion and suspension of belief. Isn't great fiction, especially fantasy/sci-fi suppose to get you to suspend reality so for the reading or movie you can fully immerse yourself in the experience? When a creator ventures into an already established world and deals with an established element, is it to much to ask for consistency so the buy in is easy?

It would have been better if these creatures were some newly encountered species. You shouldn't have to be reading or playing something and have to think, "these are Gorn?" It hurts the experience and I know that I am not the only one to experience it. There have certainly been enough bad critic reviews about many aspects of the game and many of them focus on these criticisms of the Gorn.

18. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It just arrived today for me so I've given the first level a go (on single player)

I have enjoyed it so far but it could have been better.

19. Hartzilla2007

Please tell me just why the hell I am supposed to care about this stuff instead of whether the game was entertaining or not.

Seriously there are other MORE IMPORTANT things to nitpick about the game then whether or not it should cater to the same tiny minority that hates the JJverse anyway.

20. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

What about the enjoyment from seeing different interpretations of a fictional universe? Is Man of Steel going to be lesser because it ignores the old Superman movies, or the Smallville TV series? What about Sherlock, Elementry and the recent Sherlock Holmes movies? They're all "what if" versions of the originals and all in their own continuities. Yes, the movie writers claimed Star Trek is a branching timeline beginning in 2233 and the game writers just decided to treat it as a full-on reboot and it's kind of sucky that they can't seem to really make their minds up either way, but IMO even when it fails as another timeline in the Trek multiverse (which is still how I prefer to see it), it still works as a fun standalone reboot of The Original Series.