DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I would disagree with that big time, although I will say that Teen Titans does have an interesting story. The best stories so far are "Action Comics" and "Batman"

I don't like the change with Cassie at all. One thing that seems to have carried over from the previous continuity is Tim's attraction to her. The NoWhere story line carrying over from Superboy is the interesting part of Teen Titans. It is clear now why they have Lobdell on both books. My guess is that they will have some kind of big confrontation between Superboy and Red Robin when they eventually meet or Superboy and Wonder Girl.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2011
  2. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

The Dark Knight:

I'm really not digging this comic, the art isn't great and almost Liefeldian, most notably on splash panels featuring the characters who are often shown to be overly muscular, it's almost like everyone does a line of Venom before hitting the gym. Though I did like the use of the Batmobile and Batman's and Alfred's banter over the com.

Superman's self-titled book I really like with good artwork, internal narration from Superman and and so-far an interesting storyline.

3. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Lol, no.

Batman > Action > Swamp Thing/Animal Man/Frankenstein > Wonder Woman

4. O'Dib

O'Dib Commodore Commodore

Guess I'll have to check BW out.

5. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

The "alien threat" is only serviceable, but other than that I'm loving most everything about the new Superman - especially the new Lois and Clark - except the prose. It's overwritten crap, virtually nothing other than the writer using narration and dialogue to tell the reader what's happening and make sure that absolutely no detail is left unresolved (as far as the writer is aware, of course). I mean, I'm not giving a fuck about how Superman cased the electronics store before he chased the monster in there. If I want to go all nerdy and need to make up some stuff about insurance and it being deserted I can do that for myself.

"Solitude can be such a lonely place" is probably intended to be kind of poignant and all, but its just self-evident and clumsy doggerel. Did Perez think there was some clever subtext in having Lois use that word unknowingly as Supes sits in his Fortress? Probably not, since he's evidently never met a bit of subtext that he didn't want to paint in fifty foot red letters on the side of a building.

Christ, I can so not wait until he's off this title as the writer.

6. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Perez was probably not the best choice for the job.

7. Admiral Buzzkill

I'm totally on board with the new costume design now, and I'd hate to see them retreat to anything like the original. The belt's the only thing about it that's maybe less than ideal; they could vary that and the boots a bit...and almost certainly will over time.

8. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Yeah, the new suit/"battle armor" is pretty good. I don't much like Clark Kent's "Harry Potter glasses" but I do think that coupled with his tussled hair they do a good job of concealing his "true identity."

And I will agree the dialogue, internal monologues and such are all a bit heavy handed, but the artwork in the comic is pretty good.

(I would argue that if Superman couldn't see the monster with his own eyes, seeing it through the TV wouldn't be greatly different. Either way he's using his own eyes to look at the same object, the fact that one way is through a camera lens and a TV screen shouldn't matter.)

9. Admiral_Young

The only thing I don't like about the new costume is the high collar...the rest of it is okay.

10. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

I don't mind the collar/sleeves. The style of the belt and boots is pretty lame and looks dated already.

11. byron lomax

byron lomax Commander Red Shirt

Just read Justice League Dark issue two and enjoyed it. The intrigue continues to build - I'm especially curious about the dialogue between Xanadu and the Enchantress... I imagine she's got something up her sleeve.

And it's pretty humorous too - silly Boston Brand!

Up next: Aquaman.

12. Admiral Buzzkill

I like the new cape design on Superman.

13. Derishton

Derishton Vice Admiral Admiral

+ 1, although Deadman seems to have been emotionally regressed after the events of Brightest Day. I love the young Constantine vibe.

14. C_Miller

C_Miller Captain Captain

But at the same time, the writing is some of the best I've read in the New 52. All the talk of the art really sells the writing short. It's probably the best overall package DC has right now.

So, I'm getting Action Comics, Swamp Thing, Animal Man, Batman, Justice League: Dark and The Flash. Unfortunately that's one book too many. However, I decided that I'm giving them until January to decide which one to drop.

15. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

I picked up Superman 2 and Flash 2 yesterday. I think some of the luster is already wearing off. The excitement the reboot had is nearly extinguished.

I loved Flash's art, but the story was incredibly lackluster - it went all over the place and did not push the narrative forward. Still, the art is fantastic, so I'm still be picking it up.

I enjoyed Superman. The "over-narration" people are complaining about doesn't bother me. I'm in this until Perez leaves.

16. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah I'm loving the depictions of Superman in Action and Justice League, but the main Superman book just isn't grabbing me at all.

The alien threats are way too generic, and the art and storytelling feel like they're stuck in the 80s or 90s. It's all just so... stodgy and dull. Especially compared to what I'm seeing in the other books out there.

17. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

I think that's why I like it.

Also, I'm glad we have been officially re-introduced to Cat Grant (I think she had a short appearance in Superman 1), who is now seemingly more in line to her initial introduction by Marv Wolfman as opposed to the caricature that Geoff Johns came up with.

18. Derishton

Derishton Vice Admiral Admiral

I've just finished All-Star Western #2 (complete with El Diablo back-up feature). I think if you don't like this book, you don't like awesomeness itself.

19. Admiral_Young

Yep I noticed Cat was more her 80's/90's depiction...this whole book has that retro Bryne/Jurgens feel to it in my opinion. Nothing wrong with it being that way but eh not feeling the book's direction in general. Also our first image of this Heather person (I already forgot her last name) on the jumbo tron kind of was disappointing. She looked a bit like Lois to me.

20. Admiral Buzzkill

I'm not familiar with Johns's take, but the character strikes me here as a complete caricature of an air-headed gossip columist - even more over-the-top than she was in the first season of Lois & Clark.

This is possibly because, again, of the sledge-hammer quality of the dialogue.

She also is drawn to appear ten to fifteen years older than Clark. Was that always the case? I know that Tracy Scoggins is a decade older than Hatcher and Cain.