2013 NBA Offseason Thread...

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by HaventGotALife, Jun 30, 2013.

1. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

The Lakers have feared they may lose Dwight since the season ended. And as for "pursuing", I'd say it's the other way around. The Lakers, Rocks, and Warriors are the ones doing the pursuing. Sounds like ESPN speculating, and "reporting" the obvious.

Dwight supposedly has made his decision and will tweet it sometime this week-end.

2. gblews

Wow, my comment about the Warriors not having to worry about signing Dwight may have been premature. They just traded Richard Jefferson, Andres Biedrins and his albatross contract, to Utah. Also included in the deal, I believe, is a 1st round '13-'14 pick from the Warriors.

Warriors have also signed Iggy. This is all according to Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo.

Whether or not GS signs Dwight or not, this team is on the move. One thing I did forget before, the Warriors have God (one of many nicks Lakers fans have for Jerry West) in their front office.

Wojnarowski is also reporting that the only team eliminated by Dwight's team is the Mavs. That makes me smile. If Dwight doesn't sign with the Lakers, I'd rather see him with the Warriors than the Rocks. And if the Lakers can work a sign and trade (if they can), we could end up with with some nice young pieces, Klay Thompson maybe, and Harrison Barnes.

3. HaventGotALife

HaventGotALife Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

NBA.com is reporting that Dwight Howard will sign with the Houston Rockets. No story up yet, but here is the frontpage.

www.nba.com

4. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

Makes sense, frankly. See if McHale can corral the drama queen.

5. HaventGotALife

They have gutted their team to get him. He's not surrounded by shooters anymore. It remains to be seen what happens with Josh Smith. The scuttlebutt all week has been that if Howard goes to Houston, Smith will follow. It means my Pistons will have missed out on free agency.

6. gblews

Crap! Multiple reports coming out now, that Dwight will sign with Houston. Qhy couldn't it be GS...now, no S&T. The Lakers are not interested in clogging their 13-14 cap with Jeremy Lin and Asik, per Woj. .

7. HaventGotALife

It seems ESPN got scooped. Nothing on their front page as of yet. I thought this was the best situation for Howard, but we'll see how it works out. I hate Houston, I hate Howard. So I won't be cheering for them this season.

8. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

There will always be drama with Howard. It's who he is. I'm more interested in seeing if McHale can help him develop a reliable low-post game.

--Sran

9. Captain Clark Terrell

Just a minute! Howard's now 50/50 on signing with Houston versus staying with the Lakers. Will this ever end?

--Sran

10. Captain Clark Terrell

It's Houston after all! Howard will sign on the dotted line.

--Sran

11. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

My gut tells me that had Kobe made it clear to Dwight that it will be his team right away, not after the 3-4 more years that Kobe wants to play and "show Howard how to win championships", it would've made a difference, even with D'Antoni as the coach.

That does not mean that L.A. would've been a lock for a championship, given D12's penchant for whining. But one does wonder what Jackson might have accomplished in ego management.

Even if Josh Smith goes to Houston, it would take an MVP coaching effort by McHale to get that squad through the first round, but in the long run, they have a 3-4 year window to win.

12. HaventGotALife

Well, now that the Howard situation is over, I guess we can all go back to our lives. :)

Paul Millsap has signed with the Atlanta Hawks (from Jazz). OJ Mayo has agreed to a deal with the Bucks (from Mavericks). Al-Farouq Aminu has re-signed with the Pelicans. Jose Calderon has agreed to a deal with the Dallas Mavericks (from Detroit Pistons). Royce White was traded from Houston to the Philadelphia 76ers for the rights to Furkan Aldemir. Matt Barnes re-signed with the Clippers. Omer Asik appears to want out of Houston now that Dwight Howard is there.

That's the update for today, as of 12:00PM EST.

13. Captain Clark Terrell

How long until we read that Gordon Hayward has been traded to the Boston Celtics?

--Sran

14. Captain Clark Terrell

Per ESPN, Josh Smith has signed with the Detroit Pistons. I don't understand why the Pistons would overpay for him as he's a terrible fit for their team, but they've done this sort of thing before.

--Sran

15. gblews

I think little to nothing happened in that meeting to push Dwight further away from the Lakers. There have been reports that during the meeting, D12 seemed detached and didn't make eye contact. That was taken by the Lakers' team as an indication that Dwight had already made up his mind that he was leaving.

Right after the season Dwight stated that he wanted to be where he could be happy. Playing under a crap coach like D'Antoni in a makeshift offense, alongside a demanding superstar who was desperate to win a championship (something I think Dwight wants, but only on his terms), in front of a fanbase that believes the team should always be competing for a ring, in a huge media center, were all reasons D12 could not be happy in L.A.

Dwight wants the easy route. That is his right, but winning a championship has rarely if ever been easy and with the Rockets, it's not going to be any easier. I agree with your assessment of the Rox chances this coming season. But one thing is certain, the expectations won't be as high and he will be playing for a coach who emphasize Dwight on offense.

It is hard for me to see him winning a championship with the Rox but it is also hard for me to see him caring all that much, as long as he isn't blamed for anything.

16. HaventGotALife

The Pistons better not be done. 4-years, 56-million is a lot of money. But Greg Monroe has been rumored to be headed to Boston for Rajon Rondo. The Pistons could also use Smith at Small Forward. So the Pistons send one of their bigs to the bench, probably Drummond, or they trade one of them for a point guard and a small forward.

17. Captain Clark Terrell

If they can move either Monroe or Drummond, the Smith signing makes more sense. With Brad Stevens in Boston, a Monroe-Rondo exchange might be in order, but it's hard to know.

--Sran

18. HaventGotALife

Well, according to reports, Asik is not going anywhere despite his concerns for playing with Dwight Howard. Francisco Garcia has re-signed with the Rockets, giving them some shooting and ballhandling in the backcourt, along with Omri Casspi to replace Carlos Delfino. Carlos Delfino is returning for his second stint with the Milwaukee Bucks, joining Zaza Pachulia who also signed. JJ Hickson continues to bounce around the league, singing a 3-year deal with the Denver Nuggets. The Cavs have entered the sweepstakes for everyone's favorite knees, Andrew Bynum. It's rumored that the Atlanta Hawks are trying to sign-and-trade for Brandon Jennings (in exchange for Jeff Teague). A lateral move if it comes to fruition. Chris Kaman is rumored to be headed to the LA Lakers. Jarrett Jack is going to the Cleveland Cavaliers, leaving Golden State without one of its gametime finishers from last season. Similarly, they lost Carl Landry to the Sacramento Kings. Dorell Wright has signed with the Portland Trailblazers and so has Earl Watson in two small deals. Dallas has added Devin Harris to Jose Calderon so they have no needs at point guard.

Darren Collison has joined Chris Paul with the Clippers. And Ryan Hollins, one of the bigs the Clippers need to be title contenders, is on their payroll for next season. That leaves one more big, one better than Hollins, and they will be ready for some NBA titles, according to what I said upthread. Their backcourt is off-the-charts now.

19. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

I heard Asik to the Sixers, but I'm not sure what the Sixers would give up. I guess it's more likely fallen through now?

20. gblews

Now, according to rumor, Antawn Jamison is talking to the Clippers about a one year deal.

Jimmy Buss, with his crappy coaching choices (Antawn was so pissed he bailed on his end of the year meeting), is in the process of ensuring we are competing for Andrew Wiggins.

edited to add: it is being reported that the Lakers have signed Chris Kaman to a one year deal. After losing Dwight, we had a hole in the frontcourt rotation.