TIL...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Holdfast, Jul 11, 2012.

1. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

Sorry, pet lovers. The only "pet" I have these days is a feral cat that roams our country acreage looking for field mice. We also have squirrels; rabbits; many species of birds; an occasional raccoon; black snake or king snake (they kill poisonous snakes); but none of them are allowed indoors, of course.

My COPD and allergies make it impossible to have indoor pets. However, I have been contemplating an aquarium...:vulcan:

Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
  2. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

TIL that I'm not the only one here who adopted a cat who'd been thrown from a moving car. Someone actually saw mine being thrown and bouncing off another car and took him to a rescue group. After he had surgery and physical therapy, I adopted him. He still walks with a limp, but it doesn't slow him down at all. He's such a gentle, laid back boy, it's hard to believe he's been through so much or that someone wanted to get rid of him so badly.

3. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, the cat is going to have surgery to amputate the tail tomorrow. If that were the only issue, I'd be very happy, because she is a very sweet little kitten. Unfortunately, the injury also paralyzed her anal sphincter, which means she cannot control when she poops. It is possible that she will recover functionality in a few months, but there's also the much greater chance that this is permanent. It's going to be difficult, but we're probably her only hope now, since I doubt a shelter would take her, and I don't want anyone putting her down.

So, anyone know where I can get some kitty diapers?
    [​IMG]

4. Tora Ziyal

^Poor little thing! Humans who lose control of the sphincter because of spinal/neurological damage sometimes regain it slowly. Hopefully, your kitty will, too.

5. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

Today I learned that I will still probably be sick when my friend comes to visit. Phooey.

OH....and that the green Vick's nighttime cold medicine is just as freakin' vile tasting as NyQuil. :ack:

6. Avalon

Avalon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

((((((auntiehill)))))) Hope you feel better soon.

7. auntiehill

Thanks. I'm ready for this cold/flu to go away now.

8. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Best of luck getting over what's left of yours, auntie.

Mine just started in earnest.

9. Shanndee

Shanndee Commodore Commodore

Ugh. Get better soon you guys.

TIL the long talked about renovations at my place of work will begin in February. I'll be working in a construction zone for the next year. Sigh.

10. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

So take the red stuff! That's some primo shit right there. :ouch: :D

11. auntiehill

^I have to go to the pharmacy today; I might just do that!

12. cooleddie74

TIL that it's just easier to feed cat food to the dog when I'm tired. She seems to like it better than her own kibble, anyways.

13. trekkiedane

trekkiedane Admiral Admiral

Of course she does, cat foods have higher content of animal protein and fat! (which also explains why it's more expensive than dog food ;) ).

14. cooleddie74

Yup! The best bagged dog foods are the soft, meaty brands anyways and those always cost more than I feel comfortable paying for a 4 lb. bag.

15. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

TIL... that Liberace played one of Batman's many villains in the 1960s series. I've watched many episodes of that show, but apparently that one escaped me. I wouldn't have known if they hadn't mentioned it on the radio this morning.

16. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

^ Somehow Liberace as a villain doesn't seem to strike much of a fear punch. "Alright you mugs, tell me where the money is or I'll play some of my worst songs!"

17. trekkiedane

^Love the avatar!

18. trekkiedane

TIL that the $ and £ signs are not only placed before the amount (I knew that) but also that there is no space between them and the amount.
    [ $1.00 One Dollar - £1,00 One Pound]

This is contrary to both the € and the Kr. (aka DKK) which are placed after both an empty space and the amount.
    [ 1,00 € One Euro - 1,00 Kr. One krone]

19. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

^ Thanks for the compliment, TrekkieDane. :) And good to know that about the pound Sterling! (somehow I didn't realize it either)

TIL that... I'm finally finished with the flu! Suffered with it for a week. Glad it's over. Amazing to hear how much of a flu "epidemic" is running rampant across the country. I do wonder if the media is over-hyping it.

20. Tora Ziyal

^ Given that the CDC labels a week or two of flu season an epidemic almost every year, yeah, it's over-hype. Glad you're feeling better.