DVD Artwork changed and updated.

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Gojira, Sep 4, 2009.

1. Similitude

Similitude Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ugh, I hate floating head covers. Thankfully the blu ray only has a one floating head inside letters.

2. God Magnus

God Magnus Commodore Commodore

A world where criminals operate above the law...
  3. Illinoisguy1

Illinoisguy1 Ensign Red Shirt

I agree. Of course they could have altered it a little more and added a few more cast members.

4. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

Ah, yes. It's the "I'm Kirk, and Star Trek is about ME!" douchebag cover.

5. NileQT87

NileQT87 Commander Red Shirt

Honestly, the abstract ship on the white cover is just ugly as sin. I've always hated it. And yes, the huge Kirk head "douchebag cover" (aptly put) does nothing for me either.

They should have used the one with the various cast members on it (and replace Sulu and Chekov--so misplaced--with McCoy and Nimoy-Spock).

6. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

Oh, yes. Of course. Because women have no place in Star Trek. Thank you for reminding us of that.

To think that a lot of fans here said her role was greatly improved over the original series. :p

7. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hopefully the nest Star Trek film will feature less pictures of the cast trying to look moody by looking down at us.

8. Shazam!

Yeah, she got to take her clothes off and bone Spock.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2009
  9. NileQT87

NileQT87 Commander Red Shirt

Honestly, I think I could come up with a better cover with a few hours on Photoshop. The added graininess of those pictures doesn't work for me either. What would be superior is to use those shots for a character reference, but have an artist draw them like an old movie poster.

These pictures aren't the best ones they took, IMO. They thought the angle on the Kirk one made him look 'cool', but it really doesn't. Leave that downward head tilt to a villain or someone who is genuinely a bit edgier. Kirk would do better with a generic hero shot. Also, that shot naturally minimizes the chin, which isn't smart on a person who doesn't have a strong chin (unless you're talking about goth doll shots). You need powerful, large eyes to pull that angle off effectively. That's just not a great example of pictures done at that angle. And I'm surprised they have dropped Spock right off of the cover when the movie went out of its way to make it a duo piece.

Kirk, Spock, Uhura, McCoy and Spock Prime are the characters who make the most sense to be given cover treatment.

10. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

Oh, trust me. Just look up the post I started in regards to Uhura. She's portrayed to be one of the most hard working characters in the entire movie yet she doesn't do much of anything. Even her communication's post is useless. I just saw your comment to be a little cold considering that she is now the ONLY female character Star Trek is likely to have for the next two decades.

God, I hated this movie.

11. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah I was never crazy about that one either. I absolutely LOVE the new warp effect, but wish they would have used a shot of the ship ITSELF at warp instead of just some abstract shadowy image of it.

Frankly I wasn't really impressed by any of the posters for this movie.

12. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

Maybe they should have used the INDEPENDENCE DAY poster artwork.
    :whistle:

13. Subspace

Subspace Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I'm not a fan of any of the covers but the Original is better than the new one.

14. OneBuckFilms

OneBuckFilms Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I liked the original, with the impressionisting Enterprise-At-Warp image, as it matches the branding seen elsewhere, including the soundtrack.

The transparent STAR TREK text, with an image seen through it, isn't bad, so much as not better.

The Star Wars style poster art is great, with the Enterprise being chased by the Narada, and the crew on the front.

THAT is what they should have used, but I do like the simplicity of the Enterprise-at-warp version.

15. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

Blu-ray/DVD Artwork changed

Let's compare:
    Nemesis
    http://mooviemart.com/Catalogue/Image_Files/StarTrekNemesis.jpg

Insurrection
    http://iwatchfilm.com/content/default/english/images/movies/376328_3.jpg

First Contact
    http://www.pelzer.com/dvd/startrekfirstcontact.full.jpg

Generations poster with date
    http://cinefantastiqueonline.com/wp-content/uploads/st7.jpg

Star Trek VI TUC poster with date
    http://espectadores.net/wp-content/cartel-star-trek-vi.jpg

Star Trek V TFF poster
    http://i41.tinypic.com/1zb3v3m.jpg

When you compare the new artwork for the DVD & Blu-ray release:
    http://www.dvdactive.com/images/news/screenshot/2009//startrekrevisedartpic1.jpg
    http://www.dvdactive.com/images/news/screenshot/2009/9/startrek1discartworkpic.jpg

You see similarities to the other film's posters but what is Paramount setting Chris Pine up for? Is he to become what William Shatner & Patrick Stewart became and his face iconic with Star Trek?

16. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

17. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

I think I like the design for the single disk addition the best. Too bad I won't be buying that one.

18. Laila

Laila Ensign Red Shirt

Re: Blu-ray/DVD Artwork changed

Well, I think that's a common marketing strategy for a classic franchise. He's the new captain Kirk, so they are going to start doing the same marketing for him that they've done for all major captains in Star Trek.

Anyway, I like the simplicity of the letters and white back ground for the new design of the 2-disc and blu-ray.

They also could have used the lettering on the novelization cover, which featured all the characters in the letters in the same way, but I don't have a problem with just Kirk being on the cover, since it's not like that's never happened before.

November 17th, can't wait!

19. Shazam!

I couldn't really care less about that. That little Ewok thing that hangs out with Scott might be the only little Ewok thing hanging with Scotty for the next 20 years. It doesn't mean it should be on the cover.

20. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

The 2nd URL works. Websites can try (Flickr) but they can't stop the simpleness of HTML and sharing a URL.
    TrekBBS' policy to not insert an image from a server which I do not have an account is valid but I'm going to make it as easy as I can for others to see an image that is relevant to the discussion with a URL to the JPEG when possible.