Minecraft

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by TheGodBen, Oct 23, 2010.

1. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

But... but... we paid money! Notch owes us! *whine whine whine*

Yeah, I've seen that, too. Pretty much why I stay out of the general discussion threads on the Minecraft forums. I go there for texture packs and build ideas and the occasional mod, and that's it. The actual Minecraft community is a bunch of fucking crybabies.

My main gripe is that every major update introduces a fuckload of bugs. I would rather they be delayed so bugs can be fixed. Maybe that's what this pre-release was all about? If so, I am totally in favor of them doing pre-releases going forward, so those of us who want to wait for a "production" release can have more assurances that it's not a buggy disaster.

2. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Speaking of self-entitled fans:

:wtf:

The official forums have too many kids on it, it seems. It's just not worth the grief to visit there except for mods and texture packs. I prefer Minecraft's reddit page because there's fewer assholes (and the ones that are there get voted down) and Notch and Jeb post there occasionally. For example, pigs now have snouts because there was a semi-jokey thread demanding it and Notch thought it was funny.

The pre-release system is the best way to go with future updates, it allows for large-scale bug testing without the massive amount of whining that happens after a major release. 1.8 may be the least buggy major release ever because of it. Pre-release 2 is out now, hopefully that's relatively bug free so 1.8 proper can be released tomorrow.

3. Robert Maxwell

Wow. What kind of fuckhole calls a developer in the middle of the night like that? People need to get a grip.

4. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm not even touching it until it gets an official release. The fact that the pre-release is even getting bug fixes proves to me that it wasn't ready for people to see it. But then again, I guess he wants people to point out bugs on a major release like this. Kind of a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" scenario.

5. Robert Maxwell

I assume the whole point of the "pre-release" was so bugs could be caught before they made it into the general release. Much less bitching that way. ;)

6. Itisnotlogical

Itisnotlogical Commodore Commodore

I don't even go on the official Minecraft forum anymore; all my MC info comes from this thread and my subscription to their Facebook page. I just got fed up with the flame wars. And seriously... calling in the middle of the night over a videogame? It must take someone with little life of their own and too much free time to do that. :/

7. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well to be fair to MC, nearly every online gaming forum is like that unless its heavily moderated. The Steam forums are a classic example.

We're just lucky to have a safe place like the BBS here.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
  8. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, we have it good here. At one of my old gaming related haunts though, recently the admin banned himself because his members drove him insane. It was the craziest thing I'd seen on a forum anywhere.

9. Robert Maxwell

That's epic.

1.8 is now out. I doubt I'll get to play it until Sunday, but I thought you guys might want to know. I am not upgrading the server until there's a new Bukkit, of course.

10. Peak

Peak Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

My first new Lets Play (in Swedish) in 1.8 is done and is rendering right now.

Just waiting for Camtasia to be finished so I can upload it to Youtube.. :p

11. Cutter John

Post a link when its ready Peak.

Found my first crevice abandoned mine and had quite the adventure exploring. Its VERY easy to get lost in those things though, so pack lots of torches. Came out with a ton of iron naturally, as well as a few diamonds and watermelon seeds. *yay!* And I'll never have to build another piece of rail track. :)

Now I just have to find an Enderman.

12. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

But what kind of idiot developer gives out his private phone number so he actually can be called in the middle of the night?

13. Peak

Sure, it's in Swedish and it's a new world so I make the usual stuff (wood, workbench, stone, more workbench, hide for the night, and so on.

I made 10 Let's Plays earlier, but usually I just uploaded about once a month, until I started Vechs Super Hostile: Sunburn Islands a while ago while waiting for 1.8.

My channel is here: http://www.youtube.com/user/PerAkerman3?feature=mhsn

15% rendered so far (I'm making them mp4, so the youtube bit will be a fast upload when it's finished).

14. Itisnotlogical

Somehow, I have the feeling that Jeb released the shoddiest, buggiest, most unfinished release possible just to get back at all the people who whined and complained about the update not being there yet. :lol: I know it's what I'd do.

15. Robert Maxwell

A software company that did that would deserve to go bankrupt, in my opinion. Fucking off your customers is not a good business plan.

Yeah, the MC community is full of jerks. That doesn't mean Mojang should release shoddy code.

16. Peak

Here in Sweden we have http://www.hitta.se/ which lists all the numbers to everyone in Sweden (except people with secret phone numbers), so a number is not difficult to find.

17. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Is it possible to merge maps with MCEdit? I've grown rather attached to the world I created to play with the pre-release, my island even has a working lighthouse on it, and I'd like to add the region to my main world if possible. I know there'd be horrible chunk errors, but I'm going to have those once I start exploring anyway.

18. Itisnotlogical

Is it me or has the spawn rate for monsters been seriously upped? After two nights underground I come up and find about 5 creepers all in a group right outside my house, not to mention zombies and skellies.

19. Cutter John

Monsters don't seem any worse now to me. Basically its just random.

Never a good idea to leave your house at the crack of dawn if you've been awake all night though. Creepers seem to be morning creatures.

20. Robert Maxwell

Yeah, you can do that. MCEdit lets you copy and paste chunks between maps, I'm pretty sure.