Season THREE OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Salinga, Dec 5, 2012.

1. NewHorizon

NewHorizon Captain Captain

You can say that again.

2. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

There's not any actual new footage that's exclusive to the BOBW Blu-ray, is there? I don't care about commentaries or anything like that, just the episode itself.

3. Aatrek

Aatrek Rear Admiral

Unless you're counting the new, BOBW-specific gag reel, no.

4. Dick_Valentine

Dick_Valentine Commander Red Shirt

Without a doubt I prefer the second one because it minimises that whole fireworks effect you get with Trek explosions sometimes....
    The Borg Cube, the Caretaker array, a few others, this isn't Bonfire Night/July 5th.

Although unrealistic (though you could argue that its the ship atmospheres burning up) I much prefer the explosions in later series DS9 with the flames shooting everywhere, wish they'd gone for more that route with this too.

5. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

I wonder if Ron Moore will be smoking cigarettes and drinking Scotch while he does his commentary like he did on the BSG podcasts...

probably not I suppose...but it would be funny.

6. MickJo1701

MickJo1701 Commander Red Shirt

I certainly hope the smoking lamp is lit :lol: Those podcasts educated me in the joys of exploring the various bands of whiskey.

7. ScottDS

ScottDS Captain Captain

8. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

9. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Great news. You can tell that the guys at the top are fans and want the best product put there possible.

Imagine if George Lucas put that much effort into the various Star Wars DVD and Blu-ray sets.

10. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Commodore Commodore

Then the lightsabers might have been colored properly but all the other changes would have been even more perfectly realized...and equally unwanted.

11. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

So, this is something - SyFy UK are advertising a premiere for TNG Season 3 on their HD channel on the 4TH OF MARCH. You heard that, the 4th of MARCH. I checked my Virgin Tivo box and, well, it lists Evolution, Who Watches the Watchers, Ensigns of Command etc....all in the right order. Considering they started airing Season 2 the week it came out over here, it's still surprising but not beyond the realm that they'd start airing TNG Season 3 in HD nearly a full 2 months before it's released on Blu Ray.

ALSO...big, BIG BIG BIG BIG BIG NEWS.

They also advertised STAR TREK: DEEP SPACE NINE with it. I'm not 100% they were talking about HD versions but....well, my Dad who told me about it swore they did, and considering he was right about Season 3....

Hmmm. I guess I'll have to keep a look out for the advert to make sure....

EDIT: I found DS9 in the schedules, its there, on the HD channel. I highly highly highly doubt it's a proper remaster however. TNG puzzles me though - why would they advertise Season 3 after heavily pushing the fact they have the first 2 seasons in HD?

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  12. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

Well I'd like to apologise in advance to my family for filling my Sky+ box up with TNG season 3 HD :)

13. Dick_Valentine

Dick_Valentine Commander Red Shirt

I don't think they are in HD and Sci-Fi are stuck between in a rock and a hard place.

Perhaps the TNG HD showings have rated well for them so far but they realise they need to get on with series 3 to ensure the ratings don't dwindle, but waiting until the actual release won't be good for that so they're just going to show upscaled un-remastered TNG until quietly replacing them for the proper HD versions in June or so...

Same with DS9.

But yay, with TNG on Sci-fi, Voyager and Star Trek TOS on CBS action and Enterprise on Pick TV, DS9 was the only trek not currently shown on UK TV.
    Which sucks and gives more credence to that "oooh it's hard to show" BS.
    I haven't encountered ONE UK station that shows Trek out of order...it all goes from series 1 ep 1 until series 7 finale....

14. LogicDeLuxe

LogicDeLuxe Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

All new effects beyond remastering work would be optional, like in TOS. And of course, they would hire Adywan, so it can't go wrong to begin with.

15. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

So glad to hear the commentary track for Yesterday's Enterprise was put back on the set. And despite my heavy reservations about the Best of Both Worlds disc, it does seem to be the most practical way of giving us everything. If all the bonus features were going to be on the season sets and the BOBW BluRay was just going to have the two episodes as it will be presented without the cliffhanger, well, I would have bought that anyways.

16. mr.peany

mr.peany Commodore Commodore

Question for our Aussie Trek fans in the know. Does anybody know what's happening with S3/BOBWHITE release? For a while it was said to be released early April, however there was rumour that entire release has been scrapped all together!!! Any more news?

17. BennyRussel

BennyRussel Commander Red Shirt

Right around the corner. Just across the track.
    Season 2 was pretty thin soup anyway. If they were going to swing and miss, that was the time to do it. Now, Season 3 is time for the home run.

From what we have seen, they are really doing it right.

18. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

This seems highly unlikely, I guess we'll have to ask around a bit to find out.

RAMA

19. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I like having BOBW separate from the 3rd season, symbolically I guess..I want it to be treated like a movie.

RAMA

20. FrontierTrek

FrontierTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain