15 Reasons JJ "Ruined & Destroyed" Star Trek

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by doubleohfive, Oct 9, 2012.

1. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Exactly. But the "it made lots of money" factoid is simply a tangible piece of evidence that something about this movie excited general audiences and had them telling their friends, and coming back for more viewings themselves.

I certainly enjoyed my time in the cinema with it, and I really don't begrudge people loving it. It did surprise me that the story was essentially a live-action/CGI remake of the animated "FernGully: The Last Rainforest".

It didn't! ;)

2. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

By putting Kirk's mother in the wrong place, that's how!

She was supposed to be in the kitchen. Or something.

3. CommanderRaytas

CommanderRaytas DISCO QUEEEEEEN Rear Admiral

Intergalactic Planetary Planetary Intergalactic

It's hyperbole time!

:beer:

:lol:

4. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

If the argument consists of "it made a lot of money, get over it" and nothing more, then yes, it's pretty weak and likely to be annoying when presented. Granted.

However...

Do you really believe that unqualified statements about "the demographic that liked JJ Trek" are in some way superior to or more satisfying than the "it made a pile of money" ones? Which demographic would that be? (Feel free to cite evidence in support of your position.*)

(* ...but please, please, please: don't bring the "Young ADD people like JJ-Trek; older, more sensible and mature people prefer Real Trek™" canard - that one's lame and never did work.)

5. Kruezerman

Kruezerman Commodore Commodore

I want to meet this so called "ADD Generation" I'm apparently apart of. Sounds like a good party.

6. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Exactly. It was fun. It was contemporary while being nostalgic, fast paced while still developing the character traits we all recognize, and it was just a great story.

Now, for this next movie, my expectations are very high, because I've seen the quality that can be produced from J.J., but even if he doesn't meet all of those expectations (very few could), as long as the movie is fun, I will enjoy it.

7. serenitytrek1

serenitytrek1 Commander

Good point. I have always preferred critical acclaimed films over commercially accliamed films. I mean just look at the horror of the Twilight films?

Sure Trek 2009 made money for a Trek film (386,000,000 dollars to be exact) but it still pales in comparison to box office earnings of harry potter or star wars.

I enjoy discussing the films ratings on metacritic and rottentomatoes rather than what box office mojo says about its ticket sales.

Its all about quality not quantitiy.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2012
  8. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

Conveniently, Trek '09 also received critical acclaim.

9. serenitytrek1

serenitytrek1 Commander

yeap...

95% fresh on RT

83/100 on Metacritic

4 oscar nominations including 1 win

Please just how did JJ destroy trek? he even tried to save many core trek TOS fans feelings when he kept on saying his film is set in an alternate reality and doesn’t change anything from the TOS universe and yet people like trekfreek wants the man to be exiled from the trek universe.

Not fair at all:confused:

10. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

As long as I am looking at Quinto as NuSpock I will also enjoy it :D

11. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, technically it does change the Prime universe to some extent.

The post-Nemesis Prime universe is now missing a Spock, a Nero, and a Romulus.

12. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

And that's one of the nicer suggestions of what should be done to him

13. CommanderRaytas

CommanderRaytas DISCO QUEEEEEEN Rear Admiral

Intergalactic Planetary Planetary Intergalactic

Exactly. But even if it hadn't, so what? If I like a film, I don't give a damn whether it got critical acclaim or not. That should not be amongst the criteria for anyone's enjoying a film, book, music, whatever.

14. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

Some things never changed. Star Trek fans (some of them, anyway) are a rare breed - just about the only people who go out of their way to not enjoy something.

15. M'Sharak

Eh, that sort of thing is hardly unique to Trek fans, otherwise we wouldn't already have had terms such as "wet blanket" (1655), "killjoy" (1770) or "party pooper" (1940) in the English vocabulary.

16. doubleohfive

True. Though it sure seems like a hell of a lot of wet blankets seem to post here. :shrug:

17. M'Sharak

About what one would expect, though, no? A very small, very vocal minority would be drawn to Trek-oriented soapboxes such as this one, TrekWeb, TrekMovie.com, etc. as a place to vent and ventilate.

Sure, they could start their own little angry blogs, but how many will read those? TrekBBS is a ready-made audience, who may listen, and may choose to respond:

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVCtkzIXYzQ[/yt]​

Or one can just as easily choose to disregard the whole thing and simply go on one's merry way to the next thread. Either works.

18. doubleohfive

Once again I find you are much wiser than me, my friend. :)

19. Ryan8bit

Ryan8bit Commodore Commodore

Apparently the original poster?

I don't know what one should expect if they drudge this stuff up and post a thread about it.

20. laika

laika Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

well said. agreed.