24: Live Another Day. Discussion Thread. (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Trekker4747, May 4, 2014.

1. urbandefault

urbandefault Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Heller has to be doubting himself because of his Alzheimer's. Add to that his Chief throwing weird stuff at him. Tate Donovan's character is one of the bad guys here. He just forged Heller's sig on an Executive Order. That's enough right there for Jack to plug him into a light socket.

Jack tortured his own brother for info when it was necessary.

We're talking about top level intel here and an emergency situation with lives at stake. Time is running out and there aren't a lot of choices.

Tune in next time ...

2. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Presidents live in a bubble of unreality that is defined by what their advisors tell them, even without Alzheimers.

I haven't seen the show since it aired... I don't remember Jack having a brother... :wtf:

3. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

One of the Bluetooth network bad guys who was behind Logan in season 5 randomly became Jack's brother in season 6. He was played by Paul McCrane from ER, Robocop and Fame.

4. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Didn't we dub him "Bluetooth Bauer" in the discussion threads?

5. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

They were first the Bluetooth Group, then Graem was Bluetooth Guy and finally Bluetooth Bauer.

6. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

So just wanted to mention that I finished Season 1 last night. I was a little surprised Nina was the other Mole. I mean I know there'd be another one, but I figured it was either Tony, or Milo...or Mason. From what I hear I'll be playing this guessing game for the next few seasons...ah hell. I mean all of them :p

All in all, I really enjoyed it. It went some places I didn't expect, and some places I did expect. So it was pretty evened out. I loved it and look forward to starting on season 2 soon (and continuing to watch 'Live Another Day' of course).

7. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

People consider the first season arc of Jack getting his family back to be the best storyline on 24 because it was actually mapped out for a certain number of episodes in case they didn't get the back 11. It also felt like real time. Jack even fell asleep! :eek:

The mole stuff on 24 gets annoying after a while. Some characters turn out to be bad completely out of nowhere for the sake of a twist, often times completely contradicting everything that came before it.

Snipers like to randomly appear too and shoot everyone but the main characters. :lol:

8. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Also, "establishing airtight perimeters" doesn't really mean what they think it means the longer the show goes on.

Oh, and the upper management tool from Division or District or the White House interfering in things gets old real fast too.

9. Shurik

Shurik Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Also, Jack Bauer is indestructible. He cannot be killed by any weapon - conventional or otherwise. He shrugs off being shot, stabbed, tortured and even being pronounced dead (which happened at least once, IIRC). He's more indestructible than Wolverine.

10. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

And doesn't Jack start out the series as the head of CTU? I hope they end it the same way. :techman:

11. Trekker4747

Season 1 is pretty solid. Did you know/expect Teri (Jack's wife) dying?

The way that was handled with the flash backs and the silent count-down was well handled.

Season 2 is good as it does ramp up the tension pretty good.

Of note: When Season 1 first ran it wasn't guaranteed to last beyond episode, I think, 12. This is the episode where Jack rescues Teri and Kim from the compound and things seem to have ended. But the rest of the season was picked up so we get the episode-ending clock sting setting off the next course of events for the day.

Sort of setting up another 24 trope when it comes to an episode's final clock usually being some-sort of cliff-hanger punch.

And I STILL want to see Jack do that thing where he pulls out someone's stomach lining with a towel.

Head of CTU:Los Angeles (S1), something else (not sure it's clear what) brought in for this special case (S2), a CTU field agent (S3), Assistant/Aide to the Secretary of Defense (Heller) (S4), and it's after that point I think he's mostly on the run or trying to stay off the RADAR and then some other things that happen to him that'd be fairly spoilery to Aldo at this point.

S1 probably managed the real-time aspect the best. It even seems like they had the best handling of the diurnal, the times of day, sunrise, morning, noon, evening, sunset all seem to happen pretty naturally and feel like those times of day. (Though I think in the episode where they're looking for the secret prison in one episode it's late evening and literally in the very next episode (two minutes later) Jack and George are using flashlights in pitch-black.

And, yeah, we did see Jack slightly nod off when he's in the foreman's office with the snarky waitress. Keep in mind, in that season Jack was awake at midnight, meaning he likely had already been up for many hours and was likely preparing to go to BED. So he was up for well over a day. Hell, we even see an implied meal from Jack (when back in custody at CTU) and even some moments where he likely couldn've gotten a deuce in.

When S2 was being planned they considered making each episode span a day, rather than hour, but instead stuck with the one episode=1 hour format. But from S2 on it does seem implied that at least Jack isn't running on his last sleep being more than 12 hours ago when the day starts.

I need to watch through the series again, I'll have to start into S1 this week.

I still think S2 is the best but only edging out S1 by a hair sense I think the stakes are a little higher in S2 making the season "mean more." S3 still accomplishes a lot of good as well as introducing us to Chloe and leather-clad Michelle. (Granted, Michelle was in S2 in all her glory as well. But something about her look in S2 really worked for me.)

Man, this was such a good series, I'm going to need to watch through it again for sure now.

Last edited: May 26, 2014
  12. Trekker4747

Right now, I'm being straddled by Yvonne Stravinsky as she puts handcuffs on me. Sadly, it's not under the circumstances that I normally prefer this in. Also, Heller I thought we were cool or at least had an understanding. What the hell happened, man? Don't tell me some member of your cabinet is some douchebag trying to play a political game here. Also, terrorists are planning terror by chopping off their daughter's fingers. I'm not sure that's a good way to keep her on your cause, but, hey what do I know? I'm just Jack Bauer and today is the longest day of my life.

The following takes place between 3:00PM and 4:00PM.

Events occur in.... Wait?! You mean I *still* haven't killed anyone? What the hell?!

13. Aeon

Aeon Commander Red Shirt

14. SiddFinch1

SiddFinch1 Captain Captain

Overall ..pretty good.so far...better than seasons 7 and 8

15. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^
    While I'm enjoying Day 9 I'm not sure it's better than Season 7 just yet. I recently watched Season 7, all the way through (I had only partially watched it before) and it was much better this time around. I haven't seen Season 8 in a while so I can't judge that one in comparison to Live Another Day.

16. Trekker4747

I'm rewatching Season 1 now and the music does have a cool techno style to it. Something the show never re-achieved. Though I will say I like "the Jack Bauer's Theme."

I've not yet watched last night's episode. Was hanging out with friends Monday night and doing/watching other things today. I'll likely not watch it until this weekend when my buddy comes over and he gets to watch the episode.

17. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I wonder if Chloe will manage to get to a shower within Day 9. Poor Mary Lynn looks a bit of a mess with that Gothy makeup.

18. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

So the CIA answers to "Division" too? And they continue to be a constant impediment to people doing their jobs? Fantastic.

19. Trekker4747

Yeah, the hair and clothing is okay but the gothy look isn't entirely working for her.

Well, at least there also isn't a "District." ;)

20. Brolan

Brolan Commodore Commodore

What amuses me is no one has apparently thought to tell the RAF there are terrorist drones flying around England. I think they might be interested.