Pixar is making The Incredibles 2 and Cars 3

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, Mar 18, 2014.

1. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I couldn't care less for Cars 3.

2. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

Yay about Incredibles! Maybe my nieces will want to go when it comes out. :D

3. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Peripherally, I liked "Planes", but then again I'm a nerd for planes. My wife and daughter got bored pretty quickly. However, I enjoyed both the Cars movies despite not being a car nerd. And I've bought enough Cars merchandise for various nephews to know that it's a big thing for them. So bring it on.

Incredibles, though! About bloody time. Want!

Mark

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Am I right that the Planes DVD spinoff isn't even from Pixar at all, just Disney?

5. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yep. Hence, "peripherally", though they're definitely in the same universe. Must note that I'm not at all excited for the Planes sequel though. Just reading the advanced synopsis, it seems they're pointlessly gutting the main character to sell more toys-- err, I mean tell a different story with the same planes in a new locale. ;)

Mark

6. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

More Incredibles! Great news, this. Hope they stick to the tone/feel of the original - i.e. NO "hit" pop song wedged into the movie to sell records like so many animated features seem to do. Just give another great story and visuals like the first time, please.

7. BigJake

BigJake Vice Admiral Admiral

Excited for The Incredibles 2, for sure. And glad that Brad Bird held out for the right story; The Incredibles is a tougher proposition for serializing than it seems on the surface, since the original article was so pitch perfect from so many angles (the use of powers as metaphors for character traits, critique of the self-esteem and insurance-premium driven culture of mediocrity, commentary on celebrity and fandom culture, commentary on the challenges of demobilization, family drama, midlife crisis yarn and straight-ahead superhero adventure all in one) that to follow it with just a regular superhero story would inevitably disappoint.

8. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, that's pretty much it right there. At this point, the 3rd movie could be terrible as well and still sell a ton of toys, since the movies are incredibly popular with young ones. I see it primarily as a merchandising vehicle franchise. As long as it keeps making Disney money with toys, they'll keep making new movies to introduce new toys to the line.

Oh yeah, looking forward to the Incredibles sequel :)

9. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The thing about a merchandising blitz as the fuel for another Cars movie is that it's not necessary. Those Monsters Inc. movies are much better (Though I haven't seen the university one) & just as marketable to kids. Make another one of those if you have to. I suppose they should just get the 3rd Cars out of the way, & then maybe they'll be done with it

But dear god The Incredibles is a concept that's fun for all ages & equally profitable. I'm surprised it took so long to come up with a worthwhile idea. That would seem to be the most fertile concept they ever devised

10. BigJake

BigJake Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm guessing the Cars toys are a lot cheaper to make...

11. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^I dunno. Cheap plushie or fuzzy stuffed animals & little plastic action figures & such are just as cheap to manufacture

12. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

I made the mistake, when it first came out, of Planes being a Pixar film. I watched it, though, and ended up liking it. A Planes 2 film? Eh, I don't know.

13. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

The merchandising sales from the original Cars was more then all the other Pixar movies combined, by a wide margin. My boys, ages 5 & 3 are super excited about Cars 3. I hope they move Cars 3 back towards the sensibility of the original Cars movie and stay away from what was done in Cars 2. Cars is sweet and endearing, with a good message and fun cars. While not the most complex or layered story in anyway, at least it engaged you. I would rather my kids watch Cars then the rest of the dreck that is out there, aimed at them.

14. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Yep, exactly. They see opportunity to make more merchandise out of the franchise than anything else. And that age group, they eat it up like crazy. I remember going to a pre-school/day care as part of a job and there was Cars merchandise plastered everywhere in the building. These cars are like their Andy! So, while another sequel might not be needed, they'll still make it as a way to further more toys.

15. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm looking forward to both actually. I've been waiting for Incredibles forever, but with Cars, I liked the original cars. The problem with Cars 2 for me was I don't like Larry the Cable Guy. I hope for Cars 3 they go back to focusing on Lightning and Sally and just Radiator Springs in general. Also, with the popularity of Cars Land at California Adventure, that's probably another reason (Along with the merchandising) for a Cars sequel.

16. Tom Hendricks

I think a lot of the criticism thrown at Cars is done because most people don't like Larry the Cable Guy. So they already have a bias against the movie. While he's not my favorite as well, his schtick works in the movie. If you watch it and accept his character, it's a way better experience.

17. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

I really enjoyed the first movie. 2 was just ok. My kids like both. I imagine they'll like the upcoming Planes sequel too.

18. Tom Hendricks

What's funny, my kids never ask to watch Planes.

19. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't dislike Larry, I just disliked the character he portrayed in the movie to the point that I have never seen the movie in it's entirety -- because of the trailers featuring Larry's character.

20. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

Cars 1 was a great movie, I consider it my second favourite of the Pixar movies. Cars 2 was a mess. I would like to be optomistic about Cars 3 but I'll wait and see.

The Incredibles was ok but I wouldn't call out for a sequel.

I'm worried Pixar continues to head down the road of being stuck in sequel city (no doubt being pressured by Disney) but I'm hoping original productions like The Good Dinosaur do well.