Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Obiwanshinobi, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

That's the way the pushers suck you in...they give you a hit, and then walk away leaving the bag in front of you ;) [/Guy Gardner mode]

2. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

I think I may have phrased something wrong. I was mostly referring to Junebug, which seems to have gotten a lot of awards and was big on her page on wikipedia, but its a movie I've never even heard of and so I mentioned it and that was the coimment about independant movies. Julie & Julia was mentioned as a movie that was big and popular, but it was definately made for a female audience so it was just an example of one of her bigger movies that I didn't think I should be expoected to know.

I was just pointing out that her biggest movies aren't exactly things I'd be expected to have watched or know of, even if I liked more of the general movies that get released. The Fighter I just mentioned because it was on her list and I'd never heard of it (plus it sounds pretty stupid, even forgetting the fact that I think Christian Bale is a horrible actor). I was just trying to say that I think its unfair for people to know Amy Adams, and thats she's definately not a house hold name. I wasn't denying she's famous for some people, but the fact that I've barely seen her or know of her really isn't a big shock.

Actually, that was a shot at The Artist, a new silent film released in 2011 and that won Best Picture from the academy awards that year (like a lot of people pointed out) and the other I mentioned was Slumdog Millionaire. I remember seeing something about it on the news and just laughing about the fact that it was the goofiest thing I'd heard of for awhile. It was just used as an observation that I'm not in the audience for most film critic loved movies that win awards like that, because they're usually bizarre and not normal movies. Those two were the most obvious examples to me.

3. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

She is a household name. The fact that you'd never heard of The Fighter demonstrates that your knowledge of film is very limited. It was a major awards contender, got plenty of press, and was a box office hit.

4. kirk55555

I count the actors who are house hold names as people like Jack Nicholson, Will Smith, Clint Eastwood, Angelina Jolie, Bruce Willis, actors/actresses like that. There is no way Amy Adams is that that level. I'll admit I don't pay much attention to movies that aren't things I'd obviously be interested in (Sci Fi/fantasy stuff and superhero movies) but when even my Dad, who watches a LOT of movies, doesn't know Amy Adams by name then I know I'm not too off the mark. He has a larger taste in movie than I do (although neither of us like artsy movies or bizarre stuff that wins a bunch of awards, he watches a lot more of the general big movies) and he's probably seen her less than I have (probably only in Catch Me if You Can, maybe The Fighter). I'm not saying she's not well know by a lot of people, I'm just saying its a certain amount, and that if I went on to the street in an average place, I bet most people will have no idea who I'm talking about if I ask them who Amy Adams is.

5. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

No she's not. Not by a longshot.

A lot of people would recognize her if they saw her, but they'd struggle to think of her name (and will likely fail in producing the correct one). She's B-list, if even that.

Household names are the massively huge stars. Brad Pitt, Johnny Depp, Madonna, Tom Cruise, Morgan Freeman, etc.

And if you try to convince anyone otherwise, you're your user name.

6. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

Okay, household name was a bridge too far on my part, but suggesting that she might be considered below B-list is a bridge too far in the other direction. She doesn't have the name recognition of a Jolie or Theron, but the industry would consider her amongst its top actresses. She's at about Rachel McAdams' level of fame.

7. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

She's definitely trending up towards A list in name recognition and may be there after MOS. She is recognized by face at this point by more people than name.

Heck, I still get her confused with Isla Fisher half the time. Especially how Isla looked in Confessions of a Shopaholic.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

Amy Adams was in a movie with the Muppets and is playing Lois Lane. She is tied into two of my life long interests and is adorable and sexy. I love her!

9. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Heh...I remember a bit in a Not Brand Echh reprint that parodied the fact that Mary Jane and Gwen, as drawn by John Romita, were the same character with different hair color. I always think of that when people get picky about things like MJ being a composite character in the Raimi films.

COUNTDOWN: 15 days.

10. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I might have been thinking she was more popular than she is too. I was another one calling her a household name, but I'm pretty much on the other end of the spectrum from Kirk55555, so there are probably a lot of people who I think of as being famous that the average person hasn't heard of.

11. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

I get that it was a shot at the Artist, but you aimed widely to try and take down all silent films.

I would say that you should see The Artist, the reason it's a silent film is actually a part of its story. It's a funny and moving story... and that makes it quite an achievement to win for best picture... a comedy RARELY wins.

And I get that you think you aren't the audience for most "critic loved movies" but I think you aren't the audience for a LOT of movies.

12. Taylirious

Taylirious Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes! :bolian:

I first saw her on 'Smallville' but the movie 'Enchanted' just won me over with her. :D

Just on casting alone, Amy is my Lois Lane.

13. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

I just get alternately amused and fed up by all these anonymous keyboard warriors sitting at home slagging off the looks of women who are at the very least above-average looking. They don't have to find the women attractive but sometimes if you have nothing nice to say, it's better to say nothing at all.

14. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

But will she look good in her cape when she gets her powers and saves Superman from the demented evil of the Prankster?

15. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wait, someone's complaining about films that they haven't seen winning awards (and they're serious)?!? Ah, the Internet.

16. sojourner

That's the thing. Kirsten Dunst was the typical cute child actor that grew into a not so cute adult. She's a fine actor and continues to get work based on her talent, but Mary Jane Watson -supermodel? No, not in the same ballpark.

17. kirk55555

I'm not trying to take down all silent films. On the other hand, a silent film in this day and age is just an artsy film for critics, period. I can accept people using black and white and not strictly trying to make a movie for artsy movie critics, but a silent movie? Why don't they just start giving out awards to cave paintings. They only made silent movies because they couldn't do movies with dialog. As soon as they could, I'm pretty sure silent films basically disappeared. Its fine if people like it, but to me its just confusing and laughable to see a silent movie win anything outside of some film festival award.

As for not being the audience for a lot of movies, thats probably partially true. I hate a lot of the recent comedies from the last several years (I don't hate comedy, but I do hate Adam Sandler and most "comedy" movies nowadays are either horrible parody movies or just stupid, the last newer comedy I liked was Tropic Thunder), I don't watch romantic movies (although those aren't aimed at guys anyway), I don't usually watch action movies (although that doesn't mean I hate the genre, I just don't naturally pick up an action movie that doesn't have some hook I'm interested in, but I'm usually entertained when I pick a random one up), and I don't watch bizarre artsy movies (usually, and when I do its very rare and not so much artsy as just gimmicky like Memento, which was awesome).

Just as an example, I looked at the list of movies coming out in 2013. These are some of the ones that interest me (this includes movies that have already came out or will come out)

Evil Dead
    GI Joe: Retaliation
    Iron Man 3
    Thor 2
    Star Trek: Into Darkness (Star trek interests me, so its on this list, although I'm sure everyone knows I hate JJ Abrams and this is on the list just because I know I'll see it on DVD at some point)
    Man of Steel (because I'm interested in superheroes, even though this movie looks pretty bad)
    Riddick (I liked the first two Riddick movies, and I definately want to see this)
    World War Z (it looks like it could be decent)
    The Wolverine
    Kick Ass 2
    The Hobbit: The desolation of Smaug
    R.I.P.D (This has the potential to be terrible, but it looks like it could be interesting)

This isn't a complete list, but its just a bunch of movies that have or will come out this year that I'd say I'm definately interested in, just to kind of show the types of movies I like. Its not the only examples, and there is stuff I like thats not represented here, but it probably says something about the movies I watch. Am I going to go out and watch the latest Tom Cruise movie action movie? No. Am I going to watch a random shaky cam horror movie? No. I've already said I don't have the most diverse tastes, but that isn't really relevant to this topic. A Superman movie is definately something that I'd watch (even if its just out of morbid curiosity to see what they did to Superman). Amy Adams movies are mostly not, but a lot of them aren't really normal movies anyway.

18. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

I liked Dunst fine as Mary Jane. She's very attractive.

Not one of the guys who "slag off on women on the Internet," as you say, has ever been with anyone as attractive as the women they're criticizing. I guarantee you that.

19. Admiral James Kirk

Admiral James Kirk Writer Admiral

I never liked Dunst as MJ but it was never because of her looks. She's certainly bangable enough. :D

20. sojourner

I'm not one to normally "slag off on women on the internet", but in Dunst's case, I just never felt like she lived up to the Mary Jane Watson portrayal of the comics.

I just did a google image search of Dunst and will admit that for the majority of the pics that came up, she looks stunning. Those pics happen to also be studio shots maximized to look their best. Far better than more candid live action film footage.