Agents of SHIELD. Season 1 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Trekker4747, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Can you imagine if Marvel ever got to the point that they had to kidnap your family dog to keep you up to date with your subscriptions?

Threats do work.

I did buy She-Hulk comics for quite a while because she threatened to rip up my X-Men comics.

[​IMG]

Every ounce of terror matched by another ounce of horniness.

2. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Man, I miss $1.50 price tags...

3. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

...And what about the 40 cent tag on the vol #1 Miss Walters is holding?

4. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

Really? You don't see how exchanging the title character in a continuing series with his worst enemy could put some people off?

The quality of the storytelling isn't really the issue for me in this particular case, the identity of the main character IS. I've been reading about Peter Parker's life as Spider-Man for over 40 years. I like Pete, he kinda reminds me of me. I like Pete as Spidey, he makes me think any picked-on kid can end up a hero. That's what I buy Spider-Man to read about. Otto Octavius does NOT remind me of me - I have nothing in common with a rich, evil megalomaniac. They could have done the greatest "quality" story in Marvel history in this run (which they didn't), but since it wasn't Peter Parker being Spidey, I wouldn't have cared.

5. Forbin

Oh Lord, I just found that issue while I was sorting the collection last week. :lol:

6. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

It was obviously a temporary story. Seeing the drama of the switch, if well-written, should overcome everything else. It's still in the same universe and relies on the past history that led to that point. Now whether it was good writing or not, I don't know, since I didn't read it. But it's not inherently bad.

7. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm going to be a few days behind on tonights episode!!!
    The Ward backstory episode, is I'm hoping, full of insight that is meant to have us feel remorseful for that moment in the finale where he realizes the foolishness of having been loyal to Garrett. All he sacrificed for no reward, so he makes the ultimate sacrifice in an attempt at redemption to Team Coulson.

8. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Uhh, yeah, of course he is. He's a supervillain -- what did you expect? The whole point of this storyline (so I gather, not having read it yet) is to examine what happens when a villain takes over Spider-Man's life. Of course Doc Ock is going to be a worse hero than Peter Parker -- that's the whole point. So that can't be called a failure of storytelling.

And I don't understand how a character who's been a major, ongoing antagonist in the series since the third issue of the comic could be considered a "Gary Stu." Ock is one of Spidey's greatest archvillains, arguably second only to the Green Goblin. He's always been something of a mirror image to Peter Parker, a scientific genius granted powers by a freak accident, but driven by overweening arrogance and resentment rather than humility and responsibility. You could say that he's a reflection of what Peter might have become if Uncle Ben hadn't died, if he hadn't learned the lesson about great power. So having him take over Spider-Man's life for a time (and of course it was always going to be a temporary arc) seems like a natural idea. Who better?

I can't speak to those, not having read it yet. But I still can't believe anything could match Maximum Carnage or One More Day for sheer unreadability.

9. Forbin

I must have blanked Maximum Carnage out of my brain. I can't even remember it.

10. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Actually I was thinking more of the ramifications of Otto Octavius having sex with someone while they think he's Peter Parker and whether or not that can be considered rape

the fact that book seems to be saying that Otto is totally a better person than Peter Parker at times.

Plus Otto kills a super villain and despite the NYPD despite previously going after Spider-Man just because some guy dropped dead within a block of him are now willing to lie to cover his ass about it.

11. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

A story tends to be influenced by the perspective of its main character. Still, I'd really have to read the storyline before I could comment any further.

12. cylkoth

cylkoth Commodore Commodore

Directed by
    Roxanne Dawson

Alright, who else went squee? :rommie:

13. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

This is her second episode-- she previously directed "Eye-Spy".

14. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Speaking of people going "Squee!", Coulson just got as close as he ever gets about ten minutes ago! :-D

15. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

What the hell are they singing in that Apple commercial?

16. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

A pretty great episode. A full season in and the show is really picking up. The first 20 minutes was firing on all cylinders humor-wise. And yep, Ward will either die or rejoin the gang.

It's nice seeing her name pop up in various episodes of stuff. Same with Rob Duncan McNeill.

Gigantic? I like the kid dressed up as a monster trampling that toy city.

17. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

NO idea about that Apple commercial. I get the CTV ads.

18. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

Really strong episode. A good mix of action, humor, and background on Ward. All of the characters fared much better here and had a number of good moments.

I know I've seen the actor who played Young Ward somewhere before. Young Ward looked and sounded a lot like Tom Brady when Brady had that Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer long hair a few years back.

19. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODmfmUWqlSA[/yt]

20. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

That's what it is...couldn't understand it.

Well, if Fitz or Simmons were inclined to defect, they kinda missed their chance.

Did anyone else find it really weird to see May flashing a big smile?