Klingon

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by Xzpezer, Jan 5, 2014.

1. Xzpezer

Xzpezer Lieutenant Red Shirt

Why are the Klingon's in Enterprise when it had been established in star trek before that Humans and Klingon's had not met in the 22nd century it was in the early 23rd century that humans and Klingon's had met.so why are the Klingon's in this show.

2. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Where was it established that Klingons and humans only met in the 23rd century?

3. Xzpezer

Xzpezer Lieutenant Red Shirt

In many books and episodes etc

4. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

This conversation won't get much farther if your response to a request for citation is just going to be "eh, somewhere in all that Star Trek stuff". :p :D

5. F. King Daniel

As awesome as the books are, they aren't canon to the TV/film Trek universe, and the only mention on-screen is Picard saying it happened "centuries ago" in the Next Gen episode "First Contact" (admittedly what he says next about it leading to decades of war was completely ignored by the ENT writers)

6. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

Please provide examples.

7. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

Lots of things that were "established" were later ignored. "Space Seed" established that TOS took place in the 22nd Century. That was ignored in TMP when the date was "re-established" to be sometime in the 23rd Century. (In fact, the 23rd Century date was never established during TOS's run.)

As far as Trek books, not a single one is canon. Tons of stuff written in the books were later ignored by TV or film Trek writers.

That said, the date of first contact with the Klingons was never established on screen.

8. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

It was "fanon" for a while that First Contact with the Klingons was 2218, as I remember even the Star Trek Fact Files used that date when it first started.
    Not sure exactly but I would presume it comes from a line in a 2268 TOS ep which says something like "conflict with the Klingons has been going on for 50 years" for example and they just extrapolated from that.

EDIT, ah yeah just looked it up, its a Dr McCoy line from Day of the Dove, saying they've been adversaries for 50 years.

9. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

A line, which IIRC, doesn't exist.

10. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

^ Well this is the reference
    http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/2218

I don't think I've even see that TOS ep, maybe once years ago, so I can't recall. If they say it doesn't exist too... maybe it was in the original script/deleted scene

11. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Memory Alpha: "... it appears that line of dialog never actually made it to the finished episode ..."

While interesting, preliminary scripts and outlines and writer's notes and memos don't mean anything. Only what makes it onto the screen counts.

:)

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
  12. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't know that I'd say that. In the absence of any screen canon that flatly contradicts them (which in this case we do have, but sometimes we don't), it shows what the writer's intent was. Not canon, but a good solid fanon to play with until a contradiction comes along. ;)

13. -Brett-

-Brett- Vice Admiral Admiral

The line in "Day of the Dove" might not have made it into the finished product, but a similar line in The Undiscovered Country about 70 years of hostility did.

Combined with Picards line about first contact leading to decades of war doesn't leave much room for interpretation.

14. F. King Daniel

^But "centuries ago... decades of war" and "70 years of hostility" are incompatible points themselves!

15. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

It is possible that when Picard spoke of contact with the Klingon leading to "decades of war" he wasn't referring to Human - Klingon contact, but instead a different federation species contacting the Klingons.

Spock's time figure of "almost seventy years of unremitting hostility" would seem to indicate that the federation and the Klingons were not hostile towards each other for sixty or seventy years after Humans had initial contact with them.

So a species that was a member of the federation, or would later become one, had a disastrous first contact with the Klingons around 2230?

:)

16. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

If there were "decades of war" , I'd have to wonder when it took place. From what we've seen in TOS and the films, it was a cold war, only going hot in "Errand of Mercy" and then only lasting for a few days.(at best) And analog to US-Soviet relations at the time the series and films were being made. The 70 years of hostility works better, as the Klingons and the UFP, like the US and the Soviets, could be hostile and adversarial without going to war. It also is not an indication when First contact happened, just that 70 years prior to TUC, the Klingons and the UFP began seriously butting heads.

Picard's statement that First Contact with the Klingons happened centuries ago fits better with humans meeting the Klingons in 2151 (A little over 200 years prior to TNG)