Green Lantern: Grading, Review, Discuss, Tracking, Sequel?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captain Craig, Jun 16, 2011.

?

How would you grade Green Lantern?

Poll closed Jan 2, 2012.
  1. A+

5 vote(s)
    3.5%
  2. A

7 vote(s)
    4.9%
  3. A-

11 vote(s)
    7.7%
  4. B+

20 vote(s)
    14.1%
  5. B

18 vote(s)
    12.7%
  6. B-

23 vote(s)
    16.2%
  7. C+

10 vote(s)
    7.0%
  8. C

15 vote(s)
    10.6%
  9. C-

13 vote(s)
    9.2%
  10. D+

4 vote(s)
    2.8%
  11. D

3 vote(s)
    2.1%
  12. D-

3 vote(s)
    2.1%
  13. F

10 vote(s)
    7.0%
  1. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

Yes there is. [edit] Captain Craig posted the story on the previous page...but here it is again...

http://herocomplex.latimes.com/2011...tern-2-will-be-edgier-flash-has-solid-script/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/02/the-green-lantern-sequel-_n_916279.html

2. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    Meanwhile, higher up the food chain:
    http://www.reelzchannel.com/movie-n...en-the-green-light-1-gets-uv-cloud-treatment/

3. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

^
    His(StarTrek1701) point was that it wasn't in the cards at all and it clearly is at this point...until they say no on a sequel...it is still in the cards. :shrug:

4. Gov Kodos

Any property can be worked and reworked, but all there is now is talk and talk is cheap. If fans are waiting on more Green Lantern specifically, I imagine they might be waiting in vain unless the toys and other media in connection with the film and animated features show remarkable strength. Based on this film's performance alone I wouldn't expect much to happen anytime soon.

5. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Well considering most of the "user reviews" sites out there have given it a pretty solid B grade, there is a chance that it can build enough new interest and buzz on DVD to justify a sequel.

It's not very likely, but it also wouldn't be the FIRST time something like that happened.

6. Gov Kodos

I could see producers thinking it safer to rework Green Lantern and risk another failure over trying a different character and risking failure. In the first, they can claim the particular character doesn't translate well to film and move on but the later course would tend to taint DC's characters more broadly when it comes to investment for film development.

7. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

That's like saying Tom Welling has a chance of being Superman in the movies until a casting announcement is made.

8. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

At least the marketing campaign has already established the Green Lantern character to the moronic masses... ;)

9. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

:rolleyes:

10. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

The point is that DC Ent and Warner Bros are still talking about doing a sequel. Just as Fox has been having internal discussions about a "X-Men: First Class" sequel. I have been on record saying that we will get a "Green Lantern 2". Unless someone links an article or I see something from DC Ent that says they are officially not doing a sequel, it's a possibility.

11. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Maybe the sequel will be about Hal being stripped of his powers and stranded on Earth for the entire movie, only to get them back in the last ten minutes. It will a have a budget of $15 million! $10 for Reynolds :p

12. Gov Kodos

And he uses his powers to finish 'The Last Dangerous Visions'

13. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

In fact, it'll just be him and an old friend at a restaurant. It'll be called Green Lantern 2: My Dinner with Hal. :rommie:

14. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

They are going to steal the plot from Thor movie now? Lame.:rolleyes:

15. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

So don't look now, if GL makes $200 million...then makes another $75-100 million in DVD-Bluray sales...the sequel could happen...

RAMA

16. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

No no no, the whole movie will be his friend trying to open Jordan's garage door where he's holed up, and will be titled:

Open The Pod Bay Door, Hal

17. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

It's odds of hitting $200m worldwide have increased. It now sits at $193m but these are still low numbers, domestic and worldwide for such a tentpole film.

Films that make $75-100m on DVD are the ones that were huge hits at the box office, which GL wasn't.

A sequel at this point would be believed when casting begins but I'm not looking for that announcement anytime soon or later down the calendar.

18. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

It's kind of a shame that it takes so much money to even make a GL film. A sequel would probably be a much stronger bet if there wasn't a ton of space stuff, aliens, flying effects, and constructs that had to be automatically factored in.

Even if you took out the CG suit, it would probably cost a ton to make.

19. stonester1

stonester1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just saw it recently. I liked it a lot, much better than what some of the reviews seemed to indicate it would be.

20. stonester1

stonester1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Using the power of the "enemy", I see Sinestro's motivations similarly to Boromir in LOTR. He honestly believes the weapon of the enemy can be harnessed for their efforts, and has an "ends justify the means" mentality. Both have good, sincere intentions, and character weaknesses prevent them from seeing the problems in their plans until it's too late.