Is Rod Roddenberry kind of a douche?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by James T. Vader, Mar 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Caje

Caje Lieutenant Junior Grade Newbie

I've never understood why someone's love of Star Trek would extend to anything beyond what you see on the screen. Gene Roddenberry sounds like an asshole, but that doesn't change what I think about the show.

2. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

That's why I said it depends on perspective, one might or might not. I'm over 60, my siblings are 77 and 80, they still treat me like a kid.

3. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

There is no way in anybody's healthy perspective that 39 is a kid. If you're a woman you're looking at your fertility being almost over at that age and yet to someone who is a few decades older you're a kid? All you are is not old.

I think it's nuts to think 29 year olds are kids.

If little Rod Roddenberry was 19 and making a youtube about how he had just discovered his Dad made OMG Star Trek I would laugh at his kid-ness but that's about it.

4. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

Reading some of these posts, I can't help but think there's some latent jealousy run amok here--and some serious overreactions to a fairly well-made documentary.

5. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

It was boring as all crap.

6. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Rod Roddenberry? Unless he starts making Trek movies or something, I really don't care what he does or has to say.

7. Danger Ace

Danger Ace Commander Red Shirt

Let's be honest with ourselves, we all do it. We like something or someone and we naturally want to white-wash things. If Gene Roddenberry hadn't been such an extreme case I would have overlooked a lot. A lot of showbiz folk are a-holes, but it is a forgive-and-forget relationship so long as we like what they do and up to a point. So let's make sure our horses aren't too high.

8. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

When looking around pawn shops for a decent SLR film camera back in 2011, I was told by one proprietor that I was too young and didn't know what I wanted (I was 43 at the time-he was in his 60's, most likely.) I told him that I wasn't a young man, and to give me a few weeks growth of beard to show him how old I was-he still refused to let me look at the film cameras that he had. Strange how people do that with somebody that they think is a 'kid'.

9. Mister Spock

Mister Spock Commander Red Shirt

I like him, he comes across as very sincere about wanting to know more about his father. I feel sorry for him, as it must be a little bit alienating and strange for there to be hundreds of thousands of fans out there who idolise his father and feel closer to Gene than he ever did.

10. JWPlatt

JWPlatt Commodore Commodore

Isn't this the sort of question that would be against the Terms of Service if he were a member of these forums? Good thing he isn't - I guess.

11. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think it's typical for the children of rich and/or famous people to bask in their parents' glory.

Thanks for resurrecting such an old thread, btw. :wtf:

Kor

12. JWPlatt

JWPlatt Commodore Commodore

There's the Terms of Service issue again. ;)

13. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

To be honest, given the way folks around here have talked about Berman, Braga, Abrams, Orci, and so on it's probably damn good they're not members of the forum either.

Truth is, asking if Rod Roddenberry is a douche is still more respectful treatment than those guys get. Hell, I've seen Brannon Braga compared to serial killers once.

14. Misfit Toy

Misfit Toy Caped Trek Mod Admiral

Zombie threads. Why did it have to be zombie threads?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.