Going Veggie

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Amaris, Jan 16, 2013.

1. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well then, let her eat cake.

2. Captain Picard.

Captain Picard. Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I am just worried about her that is all:(

3. teacake

Hey lurok did you see what it said about Gac?

"Also, be careful with the rinds, because they are super poisonous. "

4. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    Missed that as distracted by pretty pictures. But meh...all those fruit and veggies containing cyanide, I laugh in their face. Mmmm...cassava.

5. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Then I'm sorry, but she's an idiot.

She doesn't need to eat meat to be healthy (in fact, from what you said, if she lived mainly on meat that's not very much healthier than cake and energy drinks), she just needs to eat more variety of foods and take a vitamin tablet or two.

I'm not the worlds biggest fruit and vegetable fan, but there is a lot of soya, quorn and other meat substitutes. In the last week I've had a chicken style pie, veggie bacon, veggie burgers, curries with rice, pasta with veggie beef pieces in a tomato and garlic sauce, stuff on toast, cheese and onion sandwiches, the list goes on and on. She can't live on cake. Amongst other things she will get scurvy - let's see if her Doctor spots that one ! Can't imagine he will have seen a case before.

It sounds to me as if her going veggie may be masking some sort of eating disorder...

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  6. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

It sounds like she's being very irresponsible. The problem isn't her not eating meat, it's not eating anything healthy. Vegetables and fruits provide vital nutrients the body needs to survive, but if all one eats are sweets, or meat, one is going to get very sick, very fast. She needs to eat fresh fruits and veggies, nuts, and grains, otherwise she's just going to get sicker. I do hope your friend changes her dietary habits. You say you're persuading her to go back, have you told her how concerned you are for her that she's not eating properly?

7. teacake

This is for you tsq because you were talking about prawns. I had this idea last week and just now put it together.

Green pepper sauteed briefly in minced garlic and sliced chillies, then with prawns and papaya added. Squirt of lime.

[​IMG]

Preparation time under ten minutes. IT IS DELICIOUS.

The warmed papaya and prawn juice and chillie and garlic and papaya juice and.. well, it's good.

I think I've decided papaya is my favorite fruit.

The bottom of the bowl is a melange of juice..

8. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

^That does look delicious! A perfect summer meal, and I'm definitely going to try it! You reminded me, though; once I was out at dinner with my dad and we ordered prawns for our appetizer. They were huge, twice as big as the ones in your photo. My dad, who was born and raised in New Orleans, picked one of them up and examined it. Then he said, "You know, in New Orleans we don't have prawns. We call these shrimp."
    :lol:

9. SmoothieX

SmoothieX Vice Admiral Admiral

Green pepper gives me indigestion and papaya is wayyyyy too sweet for my taste. Love prawns though.

10. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

That sauteed shrimp looks delicious, teacake. :)

I had a pummelo as part of my breakfast today, for the first time, and was surprised to find how good it is. It's very much like a sweet red grapefruit but with a slightly different citrus flavor.

11. teacake

Papaya isn't particularly sweet imo, unless you eat the dried stuff which is usually full of added sugar. One thing I like about papaya is you can taste the beta carotene in it, it's intense.

The big prawns get called tiger prawns here.. we only say shrimp for the most part about the teenie weenie ones that get used in fried rice.

12. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

"Today is a good day to die." :klingon:

13. teacake

I have now eaten a Century egg. I post this just to say that people who think vegetarianism is duller than meat eating are wrong.. there are many adventures out there.

14. teacake

Just made this quick stir fry.

Broccoli, zucchini, carrot, red capsicum, spring onions, chillies and mung beans on top. When it was almost done cooking I put in the sauce which was a couple tablespoons of peanut butter, sweet soy sauce and hot water to liquify it. So it's all subtly peanutty and hot.

[​IMG]

One thing you can do with capsicums (peppers) is freeze them. They vary wildly in price here, sometimes very expensive but if I go to the right places they can be cheap. I'll buy several bags of them and chop them into strips or chunks and freeze them in sandwich bags. Though they will not be crispy enough for a traditional salad when you defrost them they are perfect to have on hand for any stir frys or stews etc.. or pizza. My dad told me about this years ago and I've had a freezer full of red capsicum ever since :lol:

15. Amaris

^ Oh my! That looks delicious!
    Also, now I want to try a Century egg.

16. teacake

While I was eating the century egg I was thinking about how dumbed down eggs are to our tastes if we just buy chicken eggs from a supermarket. I've been eating a lot of just laid NOW eggs from my neighbour's chickens and they are far more eggy in flavour, really quite strong compared to regular old supermarket eggs. They are a lot better than the so called free range eggs I've had too, which while nicer are not as noticeably nicer as the ones from next door. We are used to bland eggs as we usually only eat eggs of a chicken as well. If you've ever had duck eggs you know what I mean, they are a robust eggy flavor. I think we've lost EGG as a flavour.

The century egg was like concentrated SUPER egg paste on the inside in taste, the white (which was completely clear blackish green, like gelatine) was pleasant and kind of fresh though that might have been a mental trick of it being transparent. If you wanted to add egg flavour to something you could slice up the century egg and toss it in (which is done with porridge and other things). We don't often think about adding egg flavour because we don't often see eggs as a flavour in themselves.

17. Gul Re'jal

Gul Re'jal Commodore Commodore

Gul Re'jal is suspecting she's on the wrong space
    Must. Eat. This. [​IMG]

18. teacake

19. Amaris

Wow! That is one hell of an article, and it pinpoints quite accurately just how this has all worked out, and why so many are so fat. Yes, personal responsibility comes into play quite heavily, but it becomes much harder to fight your body when the food you're eating is sending mixed signals purposefully designed to make you want more.

Thanks for posting that, teacake. I bookmarked it! :lol:

20. teacake

I think it's a huge encouragement to think about what we eat! Our tastes buds have been trained by people who want us to purchase products, not food.