NHL 2011/2012 Season

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Winterwind, Sep 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Danny99

Danny99 Vice Admiral Admiral

I hope Burke at least listens. If he can make a Komisarek, Frattin, and a 1st deal, I'd be okay with that. But since the deal with most likely be a Gardiner/Schenn/Colborne/Kadri kind of deal, I'm less than enthusiastic.

2. Derishton

Derishton Vice Admiral Admiral

Methuselah grew up with Bob Cole and Harry Neale.

3. Garak

Garak Cruisin' Premium Member

^ :lol:

I have to admit, there's part of me that wants little or nothing to happen on trade deadline day. This coverage and rumor-mongering is getting absolutely ridiculous.

I don't see the Canucks doing much as they have little cap space and a very decent team already. I think we could use some defensive depth (that's what really effed us over last year), Hal Gill would have been a good fit perhaps. Someone like that though, a stay at home rearguard with size.

Yet listening to the radio and reading forums, you still have Canucks fans thinking Rick Nash and his $7.8 million salary that would cripple our organization for 6 years is coming to Vancouver for Keith Ballard, Mason Raymond and a 1st round pick. Give your heads a shake, people.

This time of year is fun, but also just ridiculous at times.

4. BigFoot

BigFoot Admiral Admiral

^ Yeah I can see the Canucks getting some depth on D or maybe another bottom-six forward. But there's absolutely no way Nash ends up in Vancouver.

5. Winterwind

Winterwind Commodore Commodore

The analysts at TSN seem to favour Nash going to the Rangers, LA or San Jose.

Burke was able to move Blake and Toskala (and many of us never thought that possible) so moving Komisarek could happen. It'd be nice. That's a lot of money tied up in a guy that's a healthy scratch more often than not. And while I would definitely not want to lose Gardiner it wouldn't bother me in the slightest to ship out Schenn or Kadri.

6. Gil T.Azell

Gil T.Azell Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

At least the Canucks stopped the streak in Detroit.

7. Garak

^ That was just an awesome game, great action at both ends. I nearly shit myself when Daniel tied it up with 14 seconds to go.

Carter to LA Kings for Jack Johnson and a 1st. You gotta feel bad for Johnson who was in a playoff race on a team that could be really good down the road, and is now part of a rebuild. Carter and Richards reunited in LA could be good for the Kings.

8. Gil T.Azell

With the trade deadline looming Monday the Canucks have put Keith Ballard on LTIR, That move leaves the Canucks with about $4.6 million in cap space.
    Story

Don't think they go for Nash if he's available.

9. Winterwind

I don't recall them being on Nash's list of the five teams he'd go to anyhow. Of the five, I think it's only the Leafs and the Rangers that are still slightly interested and it wouldn't surprise me if Nash doesn't move at the deadline.

As for the Leafs... 4-0 for Washington after two periods... and really, it just makes me laugh. All they had to do after the all-star break was play .500 or a little better to make the play-offs. Nope. For the past few years they stunk it up prior to the break and then went on a late push almost making it. This season the reverse. I don't expect them to regain 8th.

10. Danny99

Danny99 Vice Admiral Admiral

The problem is Ron Wilson. Sure it's easy to blame the coach, but there is no fire in him and no fire in the team. A different voice is needed.

11. Gil T.Azell

That's sort of the feeling around Vancouver too
    going to be interesting to see if they do pull the trigger though.

12. Winterwind

I've wanted that for a while now.

With the Leafs, I'd like to see first and foremost Wilson gone.

Then I'd like to see one top-six forward, a true first-line centre. Connolly isn't it. That was a waste of cap space. And Bozak isn't it (nothing against the kid, he's done great but he's a really a second/third line centre).

Then, one more top-four D-man. Dumping Komisarek would be wonderful. And in net, Gustavsson is a UFA. While his season has been better than Reimer's, he's a UFA so I'd like to see veteran in goal with Reimer given another year or two as the "heir apparent", starting maybe 40-50% to see if he can be a bona fide starter or just a decent backup.

13. Garak

I wish I wasn't at work and could see how the guys on TSN have nothing to talk about. :lol:

Very slow day so far, and no notables moved. The last hour it should pick up I'd imagine though.

14. BigFoot

BigFoot Admiral Admiral

Canucks got Sami Pahlsson from Columbus for two 2012 4th round picks.

And it seems the Canucks have another deal waiting the league's approval.

15. Garak

Holy. Shit.

The Canucks just traded Cody Hodgson and Sulzer for Zack Kassian and Marc Andre Gragnani.

I'm pretty shocked we traded Hodgson. I don't know much about Kassian other than he's a Lucic type player and was drafted 13th overall. I really hope this doesn't come back to bite us in the arse, I think Hodgson has tremendous upside.

Pahlsson is a decent pickup though, shores up the bottom 6 nicely I think.

One thing is for sure, this team is in win now mode.

16. BigFoot

BigFoot Admiral Admiral

Yeah this is pretty shocking...

I'm gonna miss Hodgson, I liked the guy and to be honest I thought he was gonna be the Canucks captain someday.

17. Garak

Ditto! He has great vision on the ice, seemed to be mature beyond his years and is an excellent stickhandler with a wicked slapshot.

I guess it makes sense when you think that Kesler and Hank are the undisputeable #1 and 2 centres, and will be for at least 4 more years which gives Hodgson no room to flourish in a 3rd line role. But still, wow.

18. BigFoot

BigFoot Admiral Admiral

Yeah I'm gonna miss his slap shot... the goal he scored on Thomas was just epic. :D

See I was kinda hoping Cody could center the second line next year with Kes playing on the wing. I love Kesler, he's an awesome player, but he could definitely use a playmaker on his line. And Booth and Higgins aren't the answer.

19. Winterwind

That was one very dull deadline day.

20. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

It'll be interesting to see what happens with Nash in the offseason.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.