Sonic the Hedgehog 4

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Kemaiku, Feb 5, 2010.

1. Bones2

Bones2 Commodore Commodore

I get the same thing whenever I play too much of something. Too much Tetris and whenever I close my eyes I see blocks coming together, too much MBM and I get its equivalent, too much Sudoku and I see boxes and numbers. Currently I play too much Facebook Scrabble, so now when I close my eyes I see letters coming together and stuff. Trying to get the right word scores. It's quite awful really.

2. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

I bought Mario and Sonic at the Winter Olympic games today, shall be spending the afternoon playing it. ;)

3. Sheep

Sheep Vice Admiral Admiral

Giant Bomb's reaction to this news sums it up for me--something to the effect of "SERIOUSLY SEGA?? You expect us to believe this stream of bullshit NOW after the number of times you've dashed the hopes of Sonic fans and released shitty Sonic game after shitty Sonic game!? REALLY? You must think we're fucking morons."

I fully agree with them. The people behind the good Sonic games on the Genesis or even the passable ones on the Dreamcast have long since moved on from Sega. The idiots currently in charge have no damn clue what makes Sonic what it is and are content releasing garbage that the hardcore Sonic fans and casuals will buy just because it has a blue hedgehog on the box cover.

</rant from former hardcore Sega fan>

4. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

I know, and I've not been pleased with some of their efforts at all, but this is as close as we're going to get to the retro era, might as well enjoy this while it lasts.

5. HappyDayRiot

HappyDayRiot Commodore Commodore

That must be a hell of a lot of Scrabble - I play it's not-at-all-a-ripoff ripoff Lexulous on Facebook and never suffered anything like that. Then again, I'm pretty good at it so games don't take too long ;)

6. Bones2

Bones2 Commodore Commodore

Mmm, yeah, I mean Lexulous too. Formerly Scrabulous. And I play an awful lot of it, so I see tiles on my inner eyelids :)

7. D Man

D Man Commodore Commodore

Oh my god, Sonic 2 on Gamegear was BRUTAL. Run right as the wind starts blowing, then push down, then jump at the PERFECT moment, then hope beyond all hope that you'll hit the exact right invisible spring and be shot through the heavens to the emerald. UGH! The first boss in the underground zone was awful too, where you had to avoid those killer death bombs that bounced down the hill towards the crab thing. Then there was the boss level in the green hills zone, where you just had to memorize exactly which spring to use and exactly when it was safe to drop down in between the trillions of spikes. Then after all those wacky insane challenges, the final Robotnik battle is stupidly easy. I hate that game...but it's just so fun! :lol:

8. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Sonic 2 8bit is as hard or more than any 16bit game, I can't remember how long it took me to finish but those Bosses were seriously hard. The bouncing bomb one drove me mad at times.

9. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

i played 1 and 2 on MS and 1,2, 3 &Knuckles and 3D on MD. finished the MS ones and 1 and 2 on MD but never finished the others. 3D drove me mad.

10. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Yeah 3D was hard to control and made the bosses unnecessarily complicated, and those damn birds just went all over the place. Then again the game it was partly a sequel of, "Flicky" wasn't all that great either.

11. HappyDayRiot

The worst thing is, the Master System Sonic 2 is a billion times easier than the Game Gear one I had! The first boss is exceptionally easy for a start, as all the bombs bounce in the same way. Speaking of the Game Gear one, another area I loved to hate was the underwater level, where you had to travel around in a bubble and dodge, inch-perfect, lobsters, spears and spikes. Really hard, frustrating, technical. Watched a video on Youtube yesterday that showed there's a bloody invisible shortcut that makes you skip all the hard bits! Couldn't believe it - sixteen years of pain!

I'm an defender of Sonic kinda-3D, aside from the Mega Drive special stages which were a joke. Yeah, control was a bit dodgy, but I got used to it quite quickly. It'll always have a soft spot in my heart due to the fifth boss, the one in the lava zone. He killed me countless times before I worked out a strategy to kill him within 12 seconds and had a field day with the level select taking him out over and over again with a twisted smile on my face. The final boss is excellent, one of my favourites in the series. Never played the Saturn version though, which I may well have to get now. The special stages on that look fantastic.

12. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

I never owned a Master System so all I had was the harder, smaller Game Gear versions. Sonic 2's underwater level was a nightmare, I hated those bubbles and was never able to find those "shortcuts" either. Getting the Emerald in that Zone was a nother headache.

Oh I do like Sonic 3D, took the occasional afternoon and played all the way through and enjoyed it well enough, it just doesn't have the same feel as the other Sonic games. The Lava boss must have killed me as many times as he did you, it takes me ages to get past him and the final one.

13. D Man

D Man Commodore Commodore

That's the only one other than the first one that I still remember how to do...hold left in that really long tube and you get it without trouble. Of course, you can never be sure if you're up to the long tube yet, so I just hold left in all of them and hope for the best. :lol:

I always liked Sonic 3D. The pinball level was completely madness though, and those damn red birds were the worst, leaping around like idiots. I remember liking the South American-ruins level, and getting killed a million times in the last zone, whatever it was called. And the speed shoes are even worse in this game than in any other Sonic game, ever. The controls were iffy enough to begin with..."look, now your jumps are 100% as likely to kill you!"

14. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

That Pinball level was gruesome, I never did develop a liking for it, I love the Winter level though. :)

15. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

16. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Who knew posting the first ever gameplay video would kill the topic. Damn, I'm good.

17. HappyDayRiot

Well in fairness it was taken down very quickly. It had gone long before I got to it so I never saw the video. Damn!

Also I have spent the week trying to enjoy Sonic Advance 2 and 3 a bit more. 3 I've realised is useless, though some of the bosses are decent. The 2-player schtick works very badly in my opinion, and some of the character's secondary moves are complete crap. I'm looking at you, Sonic and Knuckles.

I have a newfound appreciation for Advance 2 though - it's not a great game, too much emphasis on speed and virtually none on platforming. But damn it's fun if you play as Cream and Cheese and just smash your way through throwing the Chao at everything! The tedious bosses took on a whole new life that's for sure. Never thought I'd enjoy playing as that wretched-looking rabbit, let alone the Pokemon-wannabe Chao rubbish!

So I can now say I like Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Robotnik, Amy, Cream, Espio and Mighty as playable characters. Nah, far too many :D

18. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

I played 1 and 2 for a short while but I don't think I've ever put much effort into Advance 3.

19. Lor'Vela

Lor'Vela Captain Captain

This game is already causing a massive disturbance within the fanbase. I've seen people who will refuse to play it because of the lack of a "classic Sonic" model, or because it's not "retro" enough. I mean really... I'm a Sonic fan myself, but I can't stand the fanbase and their incessant whining.

Anyways, I've long been a Sonic fan since his 16-bit days. But dare I say it, I think Sonic Unleashed is one of the best Sonic games I've played in recent times. Has a certain Sonic X quality to it as well in places, IMO. :eek:

20. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

I know, nearly every fanbase is like this now, Trekkies are divided over Enterprise and Trek 11, the Myst (which is why I've been so quiet, been spending time with them) is divided over Uru, and the Sonic fanbse can't get over the 2D/3D thing.

Personally I loved Unleashed and don't mind Heroes and Shadow that much, I still play them, I loved Adventure 1 and do want to play this new one. If they don't well their loss.