Does It Get Better???

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by AdmiralScreed, Dec 4, 2011.

1. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

It's hard to comment on the visual effect since I haven't seen the episode. Does the dialog mention a gift?

2. JanewayRulz!

JanewayRulz! Vice Admiral Admiral

What about the transfiguration scene from "Star Trek: The Motion Picture"? Circa 1979. Our young Captain's transfiguration saved the Earth by mating with the poweful being threatening the planet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qD1_ENMynpI&feature=player_detailpage#t=41s

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qD1_ENMynpI&feature=player_detailpage#t=41s[/yt]

3. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

No, but he teleports the guys attacking the Enterprise away and thanks them for protecting him.

4. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

Probably because they're imitating the X-Men's "Phoenix Saga" which predates all of that. You know, the young girl telepath who is transformed into a powerful psychotenetic who saves everyone by sacrificing herself and flies into the sun.

5. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's why he's funny.
    I find him a refreshing mix of Dennis Miller & Dennis Leary. :lol:

6. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Probably?

So imagine you're in an eva suit adrift in open space. Your ship is no where in sight. You're running out of air. You're going to die. And then the girl in the spacesuit 2 feet away holding your hand says "Don't you know I love you, it's always been you."

What exactly do you think is going to happen for the next 4 hours before you're rescued or die?

Yes, I'm disgusting, yes I'm not funny, I have no illusions, but in what outrageous mirror universe do we think that Tom and B'Elanna didn't "try" to consumate their new relationship "somehow" rather than just wait to die?

And that's my proccess.

Of course, it's a lie to say no one could hear whatever they were doing.

Maybe a game of Trivia?

But the computers in their eva suits would have complete logs of everything they "said" from start to finish of thier adventure.

Sigh.

UNless they erased their logs.

Then Tuvok would ask why exactly that happened?

Such a can of worms.

7. Lindley

Once again, not referring to the generic human-becomes-energy-being plot.

I'm referring to the specific way the scene plays out in two particular episodes. It's almost identical, specifics of set design and FX technology aside.

8. Guy Gardener

been a while since you've read the classic death of the Phoenix Exodus.

Jean had been neutered by Shi'are surgeons, where after she was nailed by an automated defence system while Lillandra was playing silly buggers with the X-Men on the Blue Area of the Moon. She walked into a death ray, sacrificing herself because she felt the darkness inside her rising but...

Or are you talking about one of Jeans many other's deaths, or is this about Rachel?

I got bored half way through Morrisons last arc an adjectiveless.

Lundley, I was told while watching Scorpion for the first time as we were all chuckling "What the hell are the Shadows doing in Star trek?" that Voyager was using the same CGI production company as Babylon 5, for at least a short while either side of Anika's premiere.

If it was the same people doing the same SFX work, no wonder the scenes in contrast looked identically familiar?

Last edited: Jan 19, 2012
  9. Lindley

Foundation Imaging did some work on Voyager and DS9 after Babylon 5 moved to in-house CGI, yes. I'm not sure exactly which seasons they did.

10. Guy Gardener

From memory, I got more of a Vorlon feel when Kes Goddessed out.

11. CaptainMatt

CaptainMatt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That is your opinion. Mine says otherwise. We will just have to try and live with both.

12. Guy Gardener

Imagine how I feel!?

I have to live with him.

13. CaptainMatt

CaptainMatt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Back to the topic at hand:

Voyager DOES get better as you go along. Season One is certainly NOT the best way to judge the series' worth as a whole.

14. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

Well, Screed is now officially into Season 4, so its safe to say that from here on out things get better. There are some very good episodes coming up, I'm personally looking forward to seeing his scores for them.

15. Misco

Misco Commander Red Shirt

Catching up with the episodes you've watched so far AdmiralScreed...

Scorpian - I like it a lot, especially the second part. The conflict between Janeway and Chakotay is good to see. (If only there were more of it.) The introduction of Seven is great and despite the fact that I don't like that Kes got dumped by the show, Seven is a much better character. Or the writers cared more about her. Either way, I'm always happy to see Seven of Nine. In regards to the Borg argument that went on in the thread, Voyager does weaken the Borg a little overall but the more something is used the more people will think it sucks. Familiarity breeds contempt and all that. Myself, I don't think the Borg are weakened in Scorpian. The introduction of a more threatening species, or a worthy adversary to the Borg if you like, merely served to make them more realistic. Plus, I like Species 8472.

The Gift - I'm always sorry to see Kes go but happy they at least gave her a relatively dignified exit. It could have been much worse. The goodbye scene between Kes and Janeway was lovely. I also particularly like that Janeway and Tuvok are the last to be with her before she leaves the ship; both the closest to a mother/father she has on the ship. The scene between Kes and Neelix is good too, giving that relationship a little bit of badly needed closure after the quick cut off during Warlord. I also think it's interesting that Janeway lets a daughter figure go in this episode only for her to be replaced by the extremely troublesome Seven of Nine. The relationship with whom, though more rocky, will ultimately be far more rewarding.

Day of Honor - This is a really nice Tom/B'Elanna episode. One of their best together. I too liked the warp core ejection and I thought that the confession of love whilst floating in space with only a short time to live was very effective. They say Trek does romance badly, and it does for the most part, but this scene was one of the better romantic ones Trek has produced.

tighr, I always liked Season 4 best with Season 5 coming a close second but I never thought it was that much better. However, I've nearly finished my season 4 rewatch and boy, it's good! It's really good. I don't think I've ranked an episode below a three (out of five) yet.

16. You_Will_Fail

You_Will_Fail Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm not sure that says much, that you haven't rated an episode below a 3! Since 3 is a pretty awful score.

Edit - realized I misread, thought you meant you hadn't rated a single episode below 3/10! But you meant 3/5.

17. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

^I think Tom and B'Elanna are one of the only romances that Trek actually does justice to. Nothing about them ever felt forced or awkward, and I mostly think that's because Roxann Dawson and Robert Duncan McNeill have great chemistry.

18. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

He told us earlier in the thread that he has a fairly curved scale. Most of the good episodes only rank around a 6. He saves the higher numbers for the truly outstanding eps.

19. You_Will_Fail

You_Will_Fail Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Oops, Misco said 3/5 not 3/10.

I would rate 4 episodes in season four below 3/5.

And my top 10 episodes of seasons 1-3 would be

1. Before and After
    2. Scorpion
    3. Deadlock
    4. Jetrel
    5. Prime Factors
    6. Unity
    7. Faces
    8. The Thaw
    9. Distant Origin
    10. Eye of the Needle

Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  20. The Dominion

The Dominion Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Season 4 gets good real fast. It's just a shame they didn't do more with 8472.