2015/16 NHL season

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by BlueStuff, Oct 7, 2015.

1. BlueStuff

BlueStuff Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Connor McDavid is out long-term with a broken clavicle/collarbone. That's a real shame for the league; McDavid has been one of the most entertaining things about the season, and his rookie season was shaping up to be special. A blow for all fans.

2. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah that does suck, but he will be back in a few months. Until then, there have been some great rookies in the league, like on the Blues or Blackhawks. The Calder Race just opened up.

3. Danny99

Danny99 Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't think it opened up that much. I think it's Eichel's to lose unless Max Domi keeps his tear up.

4. BlueStuff

Panarin, Larkin, Ehlers, Parayko all have a chance as well as Eichel and Domi IMO.

5. BlueStuff

I mentioned earlier how Jonathan Toews is the bane of my existence. Well, Patrick Kane is the other bane, and he currently has a 13 game point streak, which is highly distressing to me.

Also, Montreal have been knocked off the no. 1 spot by the New York Rangers, who have won their last 9 straight games. The Dallas Stars are extremely hot right now, with Benn, Seguin and Klingberg greatly impressing. The Jets are starting to lag behind in an incredibly tough division. Bolts are miraculously still in the top 3 of their division, despite some highly unimpressive results lately. As for the Oilers: "oh no, we suck again!" The hockey world waits and waits for McDavid's return.

6. tomalak301

Kane is playing like a guy with a chip on his shoulder. I'm going to the Hawks game on Wednesday to see the Sharks and I'm looking foward to seeing him and Tawes in person.

7. BlueStuff

And Kane's streak is still going, currently at 19 games.

8. tomalak301

Probably the best player in the NHL right now. Always fun watching him and Tawes play.

9. tomalak301

Alex Ovechkin made it to 501 goals last night and that last goal was a thing of beauty. With all this talk about Ovi vs. Sid back in the day, Ovechkin has really been taking over that lead the last couple of years.

Also, The Panthers keep winning, which is really surprising. They've become my eastern conference team I watch the most on Gamecenter Live and they really have been a fun team to watch.

As for the Sharks, what a whipping they put on Toronto the other night. Nice to see Hertl finally scoring, but I wish they can do this on a consistent basis. Hopefully they can put some wins together and give the fanbase something to be excited about.

10. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I can't wait to move back to Canada so I can follow my team more easily. I have not been keeping up at all the last few years.

11. Garak

Garak Cruisin' Premium Member

So Gary Bettman has been called out lately as the douchebag he is. Basically threatening Calgary if the city (taxpayers) don't buck up. The audacity on this guy, trying to influence how public money should be spent in a city he couldn't give two shits about.

12. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

^ Especially given how the NHL has bent over backward to keep the Coyotes in Glendale.

13. tomalak301

I'm glad the NHL came to their senses regarding John Scott. The fans voted him in, and I hope Scott charms that entire weekend. The All Star Game became interesting again.

14. Danny99

If the NHL is going to continue with the All-Star game, which I don't think they should, there has to be some massive changes to the selection process. Three from each team put on the ballot, chosen by the team. No more of this silly John Scott stuff that was instigated by a handful of bored individuals that the "fans" bought into.

15. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Every sport has fan selection. This one incident appears to be an outlier. Does it need to be overhauled due to this one time?

16. Danny99

Now that it's happened once, it will happen again. The game is viewed as a joke already. The league is going to have to do a lot of work to make it even relevant again.

In conjunction with this and doing away with the every team has to have one representative rule, the league can showcase it's stars instead of having guys like John Scott and Leo Komarov, you could have Sidney Crosby among others. The NHL already puts the game in weaker markets that are habitually poor and "need to grow." Why not bring your big guns instead of putting their hometown guy that can't hold a candle to the stars of the league?

17. tomalak301

John Scott provided a human drama element to sports today and I got emotional watching him being named MVP of the all star game. He won the hearts of a lot of people this weekend, and the game itself was the best all star game probably ever. I bet his daughters are very proud of him, as they should be.

18. tomalak301

That was a hell of a trade Toronto and Ottawa pulled off yesterday. There's also no salary retention for Toronto. Are they going to full fledged tank mode now?

19. Danny99

I think it was more to get the contract off the books. Seven million a year over the next five was too high a portion of the salary cap to rebuild this team. Phaneuf was outside of the age range to be a useful part of the re-build.

20. tomalak301

That seems to be the consensus. Tear it down and do a full fledged rebuild. Before last week, I didn't know the situation in Toronto was so dire.