VAN: Declassified Review Thread (Spoilers!)

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Defcon, Jun 16, 2011.

?

Rank Vanguard: Declassified

1. Outstanding

37.9%
  2. Above Average

53.0%
  3. Average

4.5%
  4. Below Average

3.0%
  5. Poor

1.5%
  1. MatthiasRussell

MatthiasRussell Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Re: Vanguard: Declassified Review Thread

Awesome. Looking forward to going back to Vanguard. Here's to hoping for more contracts for Mack and Ward!

2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Just wanted to let the ebook readers here know that the electronic version of Declassified was released today, along with Greg Cox's Warehouse 13, and what appear to be all of the Star Wars novels published. So yeah, today is a very good day for Sci-Fi ebook readers.

3. BrotherBenny

BrotherBenny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I started reading Almost Tomorrow on the bus this morning after finishing the last book I was reading. Interesting start.

4. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

I should start it this weekend.

5. Psi'a Meese

Psi'a Meese Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Bought it today. But still rereading others from the series first. I'll rate the book soon though!

6. David Mack

David Mack Writer Rear Admiral

In case anyone's interested, the fine folks over at StarTrek.com recently posted a lengthy “roundtable interview” with Dayton Ward, Kevin Dilmore, Marco Palmieri, and yours truly regarding Star Trek Vanguard: Declassified.

[​IMG]

So, if you’ve never had the pleasure of being trapped in a hotel bar with the four of us while we talked shop, now you can get a sense of just how truly excruciating that experience is, but without the mitigating effect of alcohol.

Seriously, we talk about the origin of Declassified anthology project, how it developed, and what readers can expect from the stories therein. If you’re a Star Trek Vanguard fan, this one’s for you.

7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I read that earlier today, and I found it really interesting. I always enjoy getting insight into how these kinds of things come about.

8. DWMarch

DWMarch Captain Captain

I just finished reading this and wow!

Great stories, each and every one. Feedback in no particular order:

Mack the knife! It's very rare for the Starfleet crew in any story to make it all the way to their objective and then just fail over and over again. And then to twist the knife, Bridy Mac's fate and Quinn's fate... It's a downer ending but it's thoroughly awesome because it's such a great set up for the next novel. I also loved the subplot about the bounty hunter who went after Quinn to avenge Zett. It makes me wonder if a drunk, angry Quinn might be wandering over towards the Omari-Ekon.

The Ruins of Noble Men: I loved the story of Gorkon and his son. It was also interesting to see angry Reyes and his eagerness to kick some ass. I didn't love the other plot quite as much because I hate obstinate colonists who won't do what is good for them and I liked Gannon and was sad that her story won't be continuing. But overall I'd say Marco knocked this one out of the park.

Hard News: after this story I can see why Pennington would take off to Vulcan for a while. Excellent establishment of why he would do so as it seemed kind of random when he decided to accompany T'Prynn at first (sorry I forget which novel this was in). I also liked the hint of romance between Pennington and Lt. Theriault.

Almost Tomorrow: an interesting glimpse at the start of Vanguard's story. As to be expected, I will take as much Vanessa Theriault as the authors are willing to provide and this story had lots of her. The spy stuff with Sandesjo and T'Prynn and Jetanien was great too (especially T'Prynn's aggressive approach!) although since it's been a while since I read the first Vanguard novel I didn't recall Jetanien knowing about Sandesjo and letting T'Prynn string her along. Was it just me or was there a hint of intimate involvement between Ens. Theriault and Cmdr. Terrell? I recall a scene where I was sure they were going to have a quickie but they were interrupted...

I enjoyed all the stories and I liked that the book spanned several time periods. I'm sad to see the Apostate go but I liked the advancement of that plot and the explanation for why the Jinoteur system disappeared. I also liked that there was some serious dwelling on the consequences of blowing up a planet and the nice depth of character motivations all around. Although all the Vanguard novels have been great so far I would rate this one as one of the best and I'm definitely anxious to see what's next!

9. David Mack

Most effusive praise, thank you! Glad you enjoyed the anthology. And I agree with your assessment that Marco knocked his story out of the park; I think "The Ruins of Noble Men" is an outstanding piece of work.

10. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm having a total brain fart here. When did Desai learn about the Meta Genome? It was during on of the earlier books, right?

11. David Mack

She had to be read into Operation Vanguard in either Summon the Thunder or Reap the Whirlwind. Dayton might be able to remember better than I can at the moment.

12. BrotherBenny

I just finished the third story and will start the fourth tonight. A great trio of stories and complete Vanguard coolness. Can't wait for more.

Just finished the last story.

Wow.

I really hate to see Quinn busted like this as he turned away from his drunkenness. I hope he gets another ship, but at this point, I'm not sure he'll want to. It's damned shame that they lost the weapon and a worse shame that Bridy's gone. I loved her character.

I can't wait for the next installment, it promises to be fantastic.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2011
  13. shanejayell

shanejayell Captain Captain

Liked it a LOT. The prelude story was quite good, as were the other three. Reading the Fish/Rena story I find myself wishing for a JAG series in Star Trek.

14. starri

starri Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

In all seriousness:

Dear David, Kevin, Dayton, and Marco--

Thank all four of you gentlemen for this story that I have enjoyed so very much for the past six years. I truly mean this when I say this has been, without a doubt, one of the high points of TrekLit.

15. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

Seconded.

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Thirded. Vanguard has been amazing, and I can't wait to see how you guys tie things up.

17. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

I enjoyed all the stories. It just makes the fact that the series will be ending that much more disappointing.

18. BrotherBenny

QFT

Here's hoping that we get another series that is just as well thought out somewhere down the line.

This reminds me of what I keep saying about TV series. Why have a series that goes on for so long that it runs out of steam and gets canned (the equivalent of Shatnerverse or NF perhaps?) instead of having a series that has a definitive endpoint in mind from day one. It is much more satisfying that way and money can be put into different projects instead of one that might not pay off.

19. starri

starri Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Borrowing from Neil Gaiman, it always ends. That's what gives it its value.

20. Bob Karo

Bob Karo Captain Captain

I loved it.

Still, it just reenforces the fear I get for the safety of my favorite characters when David Mack is writing.