Fitness Checkin

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by kimc, Jan 16, 2009.

1. tenmei

tenmei Commodore Commodore

At the moment, 40 protein, 30 fat and 30 carb.

RAMA likes this.
  2. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Also last weekend finished 44th in the elite wave at a Spartan Beast.

This is admittedly a nice problem to have but I've been having problems finding fitting clothes. Either clothes are too big in the stomach area or too tight around the shoulders. And department stores have full racks of size 36 jeans then tiny sections of 30 and 31. It's like American clothes makers think nobody is going for lean muscle, everyone is either thin and scrawny or giant and bulky.

80% of small shirts are effing 'Slim fit'. No, all I want is a nice button down shirt which fits my form, doesn't drape and doesn't bunch up around my shoulders whenever I raise my arms.

RAMA likes this.
  3. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I stopped wearing jeans for a time because my legs were 31-32" and they didn't fit me proportionally. Loose pairs looked terrible. My legs aren't that big anymore though.

Congrats on Spartan!!

Last edited: May 3, 2016
  4. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

Buy shirts that fit the shoulders, and then have them taken in through the waist/torso area. A lot of dry cleaners will do alterations pretty cheaply.

Kor

5. Kor

Last night I increased my deadlift up from 355 to 360 pounds (163.29 kg). This is going to hurt for a couple days. :ouch:

Kor

tenmei and RAMA like this.
  6. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

The best kind of pain

tenmei and Kor like this.
  7. tenmei

I did 3 sets of 5 at 90kg this week with spotting from the PT - not trying that on my own!

RAMA likes this.
  8. Kor

I did deadlifts for reps at 305 lbs last night. Next time I'll go for maximum weight.

Kor

RAMA likes this.
  9. Kor

Last night I increased my deadlift from 360 to 365 lbs (165.56 kg). I am aiming for 375 by late June or early July; slow and steady. At this rate I should meet my goal of breaking 400 by the end of the year; maybe sooner. :cool:

Kor

RAMA and tenmei like this.
  10. tenmei

Having a bit of a deload week this week, higher reps but using my baseline lift (60kg on bench).

End of the month before payday though and my energy is miminal - gotta get in some fat-burner, protein bars and BCAA next week. I did really well last week with my protein levels too!

RAMA likes this.
  11. Kor

After a couple years of weight training, it still seems to take me a long time to make increases on the bench press; it was the same when I first did weight training back in high school.

Right now, I can comfortably do five or six strict reps (bar all the way down to the chest) at 180 pounds (81.65 kg), or about two strict reps at 190 pounds (86.18 kg). I try to hit at least 25 total reps in a single workout (sometimes it takes a lot of sets). I don't go for the one-rep max on the bench press, as I work out by myself at home without a spotter, and getting pinned under the bar is really annoying.

Kor

12. tenmei

Oh, I work out in a gym, but even I'm wary of going for one rep maxes or personal bests without my PT being there.

Thus why I use my 60kg as a baseline when I'm on my own, and maybe inch up to 70kg for a few sets and 80 kg for one set out of ten sets.

13. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

There are good "powerlifting" style bench press workouts that are designed to increase bench press. They generally go as low a 3 reps for a high percentage of max, but rarely do maxes till the end of the program. When doing these, a partner is a good idea. The last time I used one was late 2010 when I just missed a 505lb bench press and settled for my PR of 485.

Kor likes this.
  14. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Ok, today is the 5th day on a new diet...normally I try to lean down for summer in march, but various life issues got in the way plus injuries. I dropped 9 pounds so far in the first 4 days to a svelte 264lbs.

RAMA

15. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Serious leg DOMs today. Good news..my formerly painful shin (for 9 months) seems to have healed.

16. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I have a question as someone who is trying to go to the gym more regulary. How do you juggle weightlifting with cardio. Right now I've been doing mostly cardio with some weight training but it's maybe not enough. I've also kept workouts to between 45 minutes to an hour. Maybe I'm doing it wrong.

I also do a lot of lifting and walking at work.

17. tenmei

I think it really depends with what you're aiming for - I do very little cardio in contrast to the weights, which I do about four times a week now. But I'm trying to build and retain muscle during a shred - but then again, part of the reason that we do that is because I don't drive and therefore walk a bit more.

18. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

my back hasn't healed 100% due to nerve damage but just the other day it felt the best since November. I also had a nagging wrist problem that's going away. I leveled off on weight loss, I've been trying to make up for some of the lost time operating at less than 100%. In my current profile photo I'm 266lbs.

19. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

I'm not going to say where I am, weight-wise, but I certainly went in the wrong direction. I'm now trying to rectify that in the face of my mother's passing.

RAMA likes this.
  20. Kor

I deadlifted 370 lbs last week; a new PR. I was hoping to be up to 375 by now; hopefully I can do it this month.
    Taking a break from bench press due to shoulder strain.

Edit so I don't double post (July 19): I deadlifted 375 last night. :cool:

Kor

Last edited: Jul 19, 2016
    RAMA likes this.