how do people feel about robert orci and Kurtzmen returning?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by tmosler, Sep 18, 2013.

1. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well, let's just hope that he spilled his guts about the stuff that probably can't be avoided (like the Doomsday Machine and Whale Probe). Otherwise he's condemning tons of people to die in the former case, and potentially dooming Earth in the latter (he has no way to know if they can hijack a Klingon BoP and use it to travel back in time to pick up some whales).

2. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

That's a problem with internet comment threads generally, though, and is not in any way peculiar to Trek sites. If one prefers to avoid negative comments, it's best just to skip the comment threads.

3. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

I feel ok with them coming back but I think they could use some help from a writer who wrote for TNG or DS9 with a more scientific background? Or someone from TNG/DS9 who simply knows how to write a Trek story that can remain within the boundaries of established Treknology & Trek tech issues and inconsistencies.

I realise they are pretty trivial details to think about but my brain being full of random Trek shit does not help me out when I notice annoying things during the movie that others may be oblivious to! It takes me several viewings to ignore myself ;)

I just feel like Kurtzman and Orci can't write good sci-fi but they can write excellent set pieces and great character dialogue & development. They just lack one piece of the puzzle imho and that might be addressed with an old-time Trek writer or perhaps run a script draft past the old writing team or something. They could provide invaluable insight and tidy the script up to the point that we have nothing to complain about in here!

4. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

The only TV writers I'd let near the new productions would be Roddenberry (circa 1966) or Gene L. Coon. Since they're currently unavailable, I'll stick with Orci and Kurtzman.

5. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Except, they aren't doing TNG Era Trek, they are doing TOS Era Trek, so, anything in TNG Era Trek (Like Utopia and Picard's speechifying before firing) that isn't in TOS, is not appropriate for the movies currently being made. Section 31 wasn't a problem, because, even though it wasn't invented until DS9, it was said to have always been there. Even Janeway in Voyager spoke of Kirk, Spock and Sulu's era being more "Cowboy" and they would all be drummed out of Starfleet's TNG era more diplomatic style.

6. Flake

TBH every Trek writer I think of now wrote some real bad stuff so perhaps its for the best. I would like K & O to 'clean up their act' when it comes to sciencey stuff though! It wouldn't hurt would it.

7. Flake

I realise we are not seeing TNG now, I do not have any issue with the portrayal of the characters in the reboot. I think they are doing a great job in that regard. I don't want utopia or Picard speeches.

TNG did have similar rules to TOS about the technology and its limits and it did respect science and the laws of physics mostly (haha!) and its writers worked within those limits week in week out, so they might provide a 'buffer' to prevent K&O ideas such as Transwarp beaming being used as a plot device.

Like I said, it is trivial details ultimately! I think they will deliver an enjoyable film again regardless.

8. BlueMetroid

BlueMetroid Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I'm very excited about their return for ST3. They've done an incredible job so far. Trek is in good hands!

9. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

While ID's "cold fusion" and STXI's galaxy-destroying supernovae are terrible science, I don't much like the idea of scripts with [TECH] paceholders, where Mike Okuda (or whoever) would come along and add random combinations of...
    [​IMG]

10. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Did they? I think like with a lot Trek the science and tech bowed to the needs of the plot. There really were no limits. Or as Scott might say "I canna change the laws of physics" and then proceeds to do so.

11. Flake

Ugh, I don't know. Some aspects of STID do not sit right with me and did mess up my initial viewings before I realised its not worth obsessing over them.. but it would be great if they cleaned the science & trek tech up a bit. Thats all. I can manage though if they are unable to do so.

I realise that a great scene on paper is not going to be binned because of some science hiccup and it has always been that way.

12. Khan444

Khan444 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I love TNG, it and DS9 are tied for my favorite of the TV shows, and Picard is my favorite captain. However, TNG had a habit of coming up with some techno-babble that may or may not have made sense, but would conveniently let them resolve an issue in the last 5-10 minutes of an episode. I don't know if I want to see that in the films.

13. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

So, it comes down to a choice between

"Crap Science" they don't bother to explain being the propellant into the plot

or

"Crap Science" they pretend to explain with Techno-Babble resolving the plot and saving the day?

I'm fine with the way it is for the Movies, we already accept Warp Drive and Transporters. No need to waste movie screen time on pretending to explain it.

14. Yanks

Yanks Commodore Commodore

You mean like Khan superblood?

15. BillJ

Since they introduced the blood in the first twenty-minutes of the film, I'm not sure it's the same thing.

16. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I want to see a prequel where we learn that the real reason for Khan's strength and miracle blood is an unusually high midichlorian count.

17. Ln X

Ln X Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Khan a Sith lord... I like that!

18. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

I was wondering, what are midi-chlorians?

19. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

They're microorganisms in your blood that provide affinity to the Force. The higher your midichlorian count, the stronger you are in the Force.

20. BillJ

Or:

A lame explanation for something that never needed to be explained. :p